captured Moly coated bullets after firing??

don carter

Hi Guys, Has anyone captured a Moly coated bullet in a medium that wouldn't rub off the Moly coating, to see how much Moly was still on the bullet after firing it? Thanks for any info. Don

OK, hopefully one of those is viewable.....

These bullets laid outside for several mo before being picked up. Moly on left, nekkid on right. I've recovered fresh moly'd bullets too but no pix....

al

don,
whats your real question ??

moly does one and only one thing.
it allows a rifle to shoot the same, longer.
no other magic..no improved accuracy, no longer bbl life..( it appears that may be true..see below).
the reduced early friction requires one to work up new loads when going to moly.
those who do not work up new loads will likely see reduced accuracy.
i have limitied use of HBN, but it appears to do the same with less black everywhere....more user friendly.
mike in co

Last edited by a moderator:
Never say "never" and always avoid the word "always".

There are many known examples of moly coated bullets performing exactly the same as the nekkid ones. Many shooters don't report such things because the conventional thinking is otherwise and they don't want to appear foolish. I know cause I was one of them guys.:cool:

Ray

Gee Mike, This not a conspiracy, no hidden agenda, just curious how the bullet looked after fireing. I thought I phrased it well to find out what I wanted. I have been shooting Moly bullets for three years, both varmint hunting and Benchrest 100-200 and 1,000 yds. I 'aint' no virgin. You are right about the black, messy, I wear Latex gloves to keep my pinkies pink. I bought some HBN to try also. I have shot well over 10,000 Moly bullets, mostly at varmints so I don't have to clean my guns till evening. Don

All the molied pills I've seen recovered were scraped more or less clean on the lands & mainly covered over the grooves. Never found one photogenic enough to bother taking a snap of.

maybe you could furnish the "known" results ??
anyone i have talked to that "failed" with moly did one or more things wrong, and blamed the moly.

typical was
i moly'd my bullets with my best load and the accurqcy went down hill....why would one expect the same results if one CHANGES part of the formula.....coating the bullets changes the formula and working up new loads is a must.

they used ms moly to spray loaded rounds.....no moly on the bullet body, only on the nose...so never on the bore.....duh

the use of metal bore bruhes to clean moly'd bores...destroying the base coating and requiring multiple shots to recoat the bore back to "normal".

expecting better accuracy.....
failure to use a moly specific cleaning plan......no metal brushes, chemicals to remove carbon and copper.

the best place the advantage of moly was seen was in cmp/dcm "across the course" 200/300/600 yd matches. these were 66/88 round matches. maintianing accuracy all day long was an advantage.

some benchrest shooters have made it work for them.

nothing will help a poor bbl/poor shooter/poor loading techniques.

mike in co

Never say "never" and always avoid the word "always".

There are many known examples of moly coated bullets performing exactly the same as the nekkid ones. Many shooters don't report such things because the conventional thinking is otherwise and they don't want to appear foolish. I know cause I was one of them guys.:cool:

Ray

lapua/namo/vihtavuori did test early in the moly world.
published thier results and went about marketing bullets and ammo with coated bullets.( this was contrary to sierra's results..but sierra still sold moly bullets ???)
i believed they used 6.5x55 swede for the test.
they were able to quantify the results.
one result was the final wax coating provided abprox 25% of the total benefit.
Go to NORMA website for scientific data..........

The end result of all these tests was that moly, with a light coating of carnuba wax on top, was the best for reducing friction and barrel wear. Also, here at Norma we have tested various friction- reducing materials, but so far nothing has been so good as the NECO method of moly and wax.

Moly is a very efficient friction reducer with no ill effects.

The carnuba wax is the same as used in car waxes. Not only does the wax keep the moly on the bullets it also improves the performance of the moly.

In the NECO moly process we tumble 10 000 bullets in 25grams of moly and small steel shots.

The moly is therefore hammered into the jacket of the bullets.

The bullets are then cleaned from excessive moly and put in another tumbler, where the thin layer of dry wax is put on.

The effect of shooting moly-coated bullets is that it reduces jacket fouling considerably and prolongs barrel life.

Our 6.5 mm DL bullet has a rather sharp conjunction between ogive and body.

It seems like VLD types of bullets benefit in accuracy most from moly-coating.

Our older target bullet (very similar to Sierra 140gr MK) has a more conventional design, and does not benefit in accuracy like the DL
( this is from norma, and is the first i have seen decreased bbl wear shown as a benefit...notice the metion bullet shape seems to interact with the coating benefit...RAY do you fit here ??))

5zk0gp.jpg

Thanks Al. Kind of what I expected. Do the freshly shot ones show about the same amount of Moly ? Don

Of the ones I've recovered I've just found the moly to be scraped off in the grooves left by the lands. The bullet in the photograph was mfgd and moly'd by Berger. I get coated bullets now and them when that's all a company has in stock that day. I've found few deleterious effects of moly... except for added price. I just use 'em until they're gone, then switch back to nekkid. ;)

al

Don't any of you use a water trap in testing?? You get to see how the bullet comes out if it staying square in the barrel, if you are having over velocity issues. I have seen some that the copper showed heat pealing. Without having "recovered" the slug would not have known that copper was sticking in the barrel before taking it 250 miles to the nearest 1000yard range, clean it up new load fixed. Good trip rather than wasted one. You also get to break in a new barrel before sight in.

Back