Can a Remington 7mmMag bolt face be bushed to 30-06?

Now I'm laughing. Not at you, with you. I picked up a 700 for the action the other day, $380 at Epps. Early BDL or CDL 7mm Rem Mag, no anti bind and the old trigger with a two piece sear. I didn't need it but for the price and knowing very soon someone would ask me to build them one I picked it up. It lasted only hours before a good buddy took it home, for him to swap the bolt of course. I'm still not sure what happened nor what barrel I'll be puitting on what action yet but I'm sure I'll be truing two actions and installing at least two more barrels. I/we/people seem to occasionally buy a donor stating things like "I'll just swap that bolt out and resell it". What are the odds of actually reselling I wonder?

You could screw any 308 head size barrel on it and send it to Remington for a new bolt. They rebarrel to 30-06 if you want. Might be your cheapest route. 700 take off barrels are a dime-a-dozen.

You could screw any 308 head size barrel on it and send it to Remington for a new bolt. They rebarrel to 30-06 if you want. Might be your cheapest route. 700 take off barrels are a dime-a-dozen.

Hmmmm..... ??....from the sounds of the telephone conversation I had with the Remington rep, I'm really not so sure that Remington would be willing to fit a 30-06 bolt to just any receiver that has a custom 30-06 barrel screwed into it. They might say "sorry, but this is not the original factory installed barrel". Do you remember how Remington would replace your Remington trigger without your authorization (and charge you for a new trigger) if you had broken the seal on the trigger adjustment screws?

HOWEVER, you just made me realize another possible option; it might not be such a bad idea for me to send in the 30-06 rifle(that I just bought) minus the bolt, and let them provide a new stainless replacement bolt for me. The charge would be modest compared to having to order a Pacific bolt. Then I would have an ss 30-06 based bolt face to use with my 7mmMag rifle. I could always sell either the 7mmMag bolt, the 30-06 bolt, or the 7mmMag rifle later.... depending on what other project I might or might not do. You sure can't lose money selling an original Remington factory bolt in unused condition.

PEI Rob
"PT&G sells one piece stainless bolts that are milled from a solid piece of stock so the handle is not a separate piece, $197. You can select options as well, rem extractor for LA .484, specific OD, fluting etc. Tac bolt knobs are $9, ejector kits are $8 and they sell rem style extractors for $8.75 IIRC"

Boe
"VaniB,
Just call Dave Kiff at PTG they sell Remington replacement bolts in stainless. Then send it to Dan Armstrong to time and tig the handle. Dave will grind you one any dia. you want. We use both of these guys all the time, Both do top drawer work at a reasonable price
Boe"

I didn't see anything on the PT&G websight specifying the availability of stainless. Do you? Here is the response I got from them today. (sorry it took them 5 days to respond, well after this thread has become a dead topic);

"We only make chrome molly (4140) bolts, not SS.

I’m not sure why Dave Kiff only chooses to use chrome molly

Thank you

Kathleen"

Anything can be done. But that doesn't mean it's practicle. The ejector plunger would be too high, and of course, the extractor would dissappear. I don't have a clue as to how you would use a regular Rmington Extractor, which means going the Sako route, which I do not think is a good idea.
Not a good idea.

Jackie, what do you have against the Sako style extractor? An awful lot of BR converted 700's are using them with NO problems and VERY reliable extraction. And a lot more reliable than that god-forsaken Remington Ring extractor.

Jackie, what do you have against the Sako style extractor? An awful lot of BR converted 700's are using them with NO problems and VERY reliable extraction. And a lot more reliable than that god-forsaken Remington Ring extractor.

I am not Jackie but I believe the same about the partial Sako extractor system that has been done to 700 actions.

Installing only the Sako extractor compromises the strength and safety of the 700. If you have a catastrophic case failure it will be dangerous. Why only install part of the Sako extractor system... 2 locking lug Sako's do not just have an extractor, they also have a large 'bolt guide' which is used for safety if you have a case blow badly. It helps deflect shrapnel from your head.

I would not own or shoot a 700 with a Sako extractor.

Here is a picture of a 2 lug Sako that blew up. Notice how the 'bolt guide/deflector did it's job. The shooter's head/face/eyes were unharmed.
243blowupaction-0.jpg

What I don´t get is that many of the custom action makers feel safe to use the various claw type extractors in remington clones, but alot of gunsmiths feels it´s really dangerous and won´t do it?

What is the difference?

//Peter

The issue is that the way the Sako extractor is retained, it can be blown out by something as mundane as a pierced primer. Thus possibly sending the extractor down the raceway and if you are a leftie shooting a right handed rifle right into your face, possibly eye.
The Lawton action uses a Sako extractor but it is captured in the bolt lug so it can’t escape.
A right bolt left port or left bolt right port will have it captured between the to bolt lugs, if it goes down the raceway it will be blocked by the coking piece shroud since there is no port there for it to escape.
The M 16 style extractors have a retaining pin that prevents them from being blown out as easily as the Sako.

James

The ones I´m particulary thinking about are all the Bat machine, Borden, Farley actions with a Sako style extractors, and also the Stiller Predators with M16 style.

There are for sure more mfg´s using them, the above stated ones were just a pick out of my head. I get the idea about the flying extractor, I just can´t see all the above MFG using them if the problem were that big..

Please correct me if I´m wrong, or have missunderstood something!

//Peter

Any two lug action using a Sako style extractor is not as safe and strong as a factory 700 action... only if you have a catastrophic case failure... the Sako style extractor does not cause the case failure but it can become dangerous debris. There is a reason why factory 2 lug Sako actions have the 'bolt guide' and it wasn't to guide the bolt.

I'm wit' Dennis on this one, almost 100%.

I'm not 100% because Dennis sez "the Sako style extractor does not cause the case failure" and here we part ways a liddle. While it may not CAUSE the case failure it certainly becomes a player once the case blows out. I've seen quite a few caseheads blown wide open right on the extractor cutout where there's no support. IMO Dennis is right about the Sako "bolt guide."

ALSO, anyone who calls the Remington extractor "wimpy" musta' notta' ever tested it against the others! It's stronger than Mauser style, AR-15 or Sako IMO AND offers the safety of the "3 rings of steel" containment. There is really no downside to the 700 system other than making it hard to face the bolt.

Again, this is my opinion.

al

Any two lug action using a Sako style extractor is not as safe and strong as a factory 700 action... only if you have a catastrophic case failure... the Sako style extractor does not cause the case failure but it can become dangerous debris. There is a reason why factory 2 lug Sako actions have the 'bolt guide' and it wasn't to guide the bolt.

And...I will say once again,the new Tikka, made by Sako, does not have the guide rib! So what happens here with the "catastrophic case failure"? No one has ever come clean with my original question quite a while back. I know that some who do this conversion do not do it correctly! They cut corners and don't bother bushing the bolt face. That "acccident" of so long ago was indeed tragic but how was that conversion done?

Sorry, just couldn't help myself Dennis, no offense. And, I am taking my new FLHTK out for a spin today, may end up in Vancouver.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wit' Dennis on this one, almost 100%.

I'm not 100% because Dennis sez "the Sako style extractor does not cause the case failure" and here we part ways a liddle. While it may not CAUSE the case failure it certainly becomes a player once the case blows out. ...

... Again, this is my opinion.

al

Here is what Dennis wrote.

... the Sako style extractor does not cause the case failure but it can become dangerous debris. ...

Al, you say your not in 100% agreement. I say you just want to argue :)

jkob, can you post some quality pics of the action and these features? I have never seen the new Tikka you talk about and would like to see its design.

OK, I was unclear........... it's not the debris I was referring to it was the lack of support. When the case blows out it blows through the extractor cutout, BECAUSE of the cutout.

Jim, I was not aware that Sako was making rifles without the rib.

You better fly if you're gonna' stop by Dennis' for a cuppa'.....

al

I agree about the lack of support... no doubt about the strength of the "3 rings".

Any 2 lug action has concerns about where the extractor and gases will go on severe case failures.

Here is what Dennis wrote.

Al, you say your not in 100% agreement. I say you just want to argue :)

jkob, can you post some quality pics of the action and these features? I have never seen the new Tikka you talk about and would like to see its design.

I don't have one in the shop right now, sorry

I had a customer blow a primer in a .220 Swift in a pre-64 Winchester 70 action. He blew the complete claw extractor out of the action in spite of it being held in place with a ring similar to the ring that holds the guide rib on a Sako. The Sako style extractor is just as safe as any other extractor as long as normal pressure loads are shot. Case failures are where extractors can become an issue. I won't install Sako style extractors in .223's just because of Pat Byrne blowing a primer on a .223 and launching the extractor through a steel door. To my thinking, the .223 sized case head has less metal around the primer and is more likely to blow a primer with excess pressure than most other larger case head cartridges. For instance, I've never seen a 6 PPC in Lapua brass that blew a primer with any powder normally used in the PPC. Sako balloon head brass is another story. They will blow primers.

Bushing the Remington bolt down from a magnum bolt face to .308 bolt face isn't a problem. Part of the ejector pin will be in the bushing, but just open the bushing to clear the ejector hole. Part of it will be in the bushing and part under the case head. Install a sako style extractor and your done. However, with what it costs to do that which is basically just a standard sako style extractor installation, you can buy a bolt from Pacific Tool & Gauge with a Remington extractor. The Remington extractor is the safest extractor that you can have in most bolts. By the way, the safest sako style extractor installation that I've ever done was in a Remington 788. The extractor is completely captured in the round raceway. I don't believe that Sako 75's have the guide rib either, but they still have the same Sako extractor installation. So, it must not be much of a problem to Sako and certainly not as much of a problem as it's made out to be on this forum.

OK, the pre-64 (or Mauser) situation is still different IMO but I guess what it comes down to is how you define "problem."

al

Back