Can a Remington 7mmMag bolt face be bushed to 30-06?

P1010224.jpg

Here's a pic of a Howa that a customer returned. M16 style extractor long gone. Personaly I don't have a problem with Sako extractors as long as I'm not looking into the loading port. This guy replaced one lense in his glasses and was good to go. If you put your face in harms way bad things can happen. No left ports for me.

Also here's good look at the lugs inside the action. Ummmmm

Dave

Last edited:
If he wasn't wearing glasses I wonder how his eye would be. I guess no one else should stand on the port side either...

I don't have a problem with those who install whatever style of extractor they want in actions other than 700's. But to do that to a 700 completely destroys the strength and integrity of the 700 design which is superior to any other 2 lug action.

Dennis

I agree the factory Rem extractor is the best from a safety standpoint but I don't have a problem putting in a Sako extractor in to change the boltface. I do recommend against it just for the sake of changing the extractor. I have several Rem bolts here that have no nose on them so they will fail but they kept the debris field to a minimum.

And yes when I'm at the range and spotting for others I line up on the off side. I've seen wrecks like this and one bolt that came back across some fingers and lodged into the gentlemans shoulder. The safest place is opposite the port and not directly behind the shooter. Bad things happen to good people, it's all about minimizing risk.

I guess the thing that bothers me most about this stuff is the guys who chestify up on their collective stumps and proclaim "Well, since I'm a Safe and Sane Reloader who NEVER pushes The Max nor even turns to That Page in The Book, I'll never have a problem....."

Whatt'aCROCK!!! You think these guys PURPOSELY or WILLFULLY blew their guns up from some sort of "Max Load?"

goobers.....

al

I guess the thing that bothers me most about this stuff is the guys who chestify up on their collective stumps and proclaim "Well, since I'm a Safe and Sane Reloader who NEVER pushes The Max nor even turns to That Page in The Book, I'll never have a problem....."

Whatt'aCROCK!!! You think these guys PURPOSELY or WILLFULLY blew their guns up from some sort of "Max Load?"

goobers.....

al

All it takes is to think you are picking up a can of RL25 when you actually picked up a can of RL15. I reached over once, saw the 5 on the end of the can and thought it was the can of RL25 that I had been using to load my .22-243. One shot was all it took. It wasn't RL25, didn't blow the action up, but did weld the case head to the bolt head. That's why they are called mistakes. Unfortunately, some mistakes have more tragic consequences. No one intentionally uses the wrong powder. I only keep the jug of powder that I'm using out when I'm loading and put it back up with any powder that I was using back in the jug when I'm done. Any extractor is as safe as it can be with normal loads. But, when you make a mistake, the Remington extractor is the safest of just about any of them. The sliding plate extractor will also be contained when you have a loading accident. All bets are off though when a mistake is made that will do what happened to the Howa in Dave's photo. The shooter is fortunate when there is no major bodily damage in that case.

There doesn't even have to be any blame. I saw the results of a case that let go. The cause turned out to be an inclusion of case material that had been incorporated into the brass - who knows if it was during manufacture of the raw sheets or the case? The join line went through the primer pocket about level with the middle of the rim rebate.

Mike

Someting similar happened to this Howa. Older gentleman who wear bifocals, powder is on a shelf above his loading bench. He was using 4064, he reached up, nothing was in focus, he grabbed the first powder that started with a 4, turned out to be 4227. He proceeded to pour it out in a butter tubb and started weighing powder charges. He never looked at the number on the can again. When he touched the first one off he instantly launched the barrel about 15 yards down range . The good news is if your face is opposite the port it's in the safest place to be when stupid and oppurtunity meet.

Back