Bushmaster Problem

S

savage12LRPV

I purchased a bushmaster preditor in october. Its the twenty inch flat top upper with a free float tube with a 1:8 twist. I took it out to the range and did the break in like they recomend and i noticed that about one in five cases that i shot had a split neck. I called Bushmaster and was told that i should send it right back so I did. I called to see what the problem was a week after i sent it out and i was told that it was the chamber was cut to big (they ran the tooling to long). They told me to call back in a week so i did, I was then told that it would be on its way back some time that week. When the upper did not come i called and i was told that the barrels were on back order and it was first in line to be taken care of when they came in. I called today and the guy tells me that they have 95,000 guns on back order. Then to my raw shock he told me that I would get my upper back when I get it back.... I then asked the guy that the $1,200.00 rifle i purchased is just a paper weight? The responce i got was basically yup you got a $1,200.00 gun that I wont be able to shoot my gun any time soon. I have never been treated like that ever, not happy and just want to know if anyone else has had problems like this?:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I think i might put it in the gun shop i work at as a conversation piece.

Bushmaster

Savage12LRPV: Any chance for a full refund if you returned the lower? These are really tough times, but even at that, their "attitude/response" leaves a lot to be desired. My son just picked up a new, unfired Rock River from "Gunbroker", at the "normal" ( not inflated) price, and all went well. There are other sources. I was a fan of BM over the years, but not anymore.:(

Got a Bushmaster Predator last spring and so far haven't had any problems with it, except that it's got a forward assist upper and a smooth bolt carrier which is sort of stupid. Other places I've read that they have had QC problems, so maybe I just lucked out.

I've heard that most AR makers have a 6 month or more backlog on orders too. :(

It is what it is---no parts means no parts. Repairs are given priority generally however, these things happen when there is a run on things. One reason I sold 2 of my Stoners ---- just for this reason. If a part failed replacements parts are impossible to get and have been for quite a while.

Be patient or squat down and forge out a barrel yourself or better yet buy a higher quality aftermarket one. No more whining lol.

I have waited months for a part for a Ducati---one reason that they are no longer in my garage.

Following the election of the chosen one, I decided I needed something with more capacity and higher rate of fire than my bolt action assortment of competition and hunting rifles, so I started trying to get an AR-15. After striking out at all the distributors I deal with, I finally went to Gunbroker.com and got a DPMS upper and lower for for only 150% of retail.
My AR-15 Gunsmithing friend told me to get DPMS, and now I know the rest of the story. I would be livid if I had your experience. The only saving grace in your situation is that the lower is the only controlled part, so if the Democrats push through a gun ban bill, you will already have the main part. Lets just hope they don't resort to gun confiscation to protect us from those evil black guns.

Ordered some parts from Brownell's for my Bushmaster, and got DPMS parts with only a couple of weeks backorder on spare firing pins. Not good customer service from Bushmaster it sounds like.

Glad I didn't wait to see who was going to win the election before I bought the AR though. Sometimes even the blind squirrel finds an acorn. :D

I was only kind of upset about the time frame part of the deal.
What really got under my skin was the responce!
Oh and boss hoss 450 if i wanted to purchase a new barrel i would
have built my gun from scratch cause i have the parts.
But i talked to a guy today and they are gonna try and take care
of me so maybe the other guy was havin a bad day or something.

I was only kind of upset about the time frame part of the deal.
What really got under my skin was the responce!
Oh and boss hoss 450 if i wanted to purchase a new barrel i would
have built my gun from scratch cause i have the parts.
But i talked to a guy today and they are gonna try and take care
of me so maybe the other guy was havin a bad day or something.

95,000 bad days.
Get another upper.
ARs are great. Like Glocks, Garands, 1911s, Trucks/cars......
Something breaks.
You can always get a replacment part.
You can always cutomize them. :)
User freindly. Don't like it, change it.:)

Last edited:
I just got my upper back yesterday, it looks ok but im gonna test it this
weekend and see if its what it should be.
will give an update sunday, i can only hope!

the new barrel

well the new tube does not shoot ether.
the problem gets better, i took apart my upper to put a Mcgowen 24" 1:8 twist .940" dia tube on the action. well the barrel nut was extreemly hard to get off. i eventualy got it off and found out why it was so hard. they cross threaded the nut on and now i have a pile of junk.....

Buchmaster is junk, be advised!

The first time you called them should have told you they are ling to you. As reamer wear the chamber gets smaller, not larger. Wear does not increase the size of the chamber.

You do know they chanced ownership? You are now talking to someone that is owned by Remington? That alone should tell you the place has gone way down hill. I would take them to the BBB and then I would file suit in a State court for claims.

Looks like Bushmaster and bowel movement have more in common than just initials. Apparently both end up to be piles of schmitt. Seriously tho, that is really poor on their part and they should do right by you. I would try and get them to take back the entire rifle and start looking at a DPMS. Knock on wood and 8 years later and no problems with mine.

Best of luck to you.

Jamie

I guess I had heard that and was hoping it wasnt true. Good thing I bought mine back in the "pre-Remington" days.

jamie

Sorry to hear your problem but

When you got the upper back and it didnt shoot, I understand why you would want to change the barrel, BUT when you couldnt get the nut off as it normally would, you should have sent it back. Now as one other poster has stated you could try and sue for the damage. My thoughts are that considering the treatment you got from them the first time, probably the response you will get from them is "Prove that we did it , and not you when you tried to change the barrel". In my opinion you basically screwed yourself by not sending it back or taking it to a qualified gunsmith which would have given you better standing than what you have now, which is your word against theirs that they did it and not you. Hopefully they will make it right, but if not you have a very expensive wall decoration or paper weight. Secondly with lawyers charging 150 an hour and up, suing them just might cost ya more than buying a whole new rifle, and even if you won collecting might be another story.:(
The only reason I am chiming in is that Smith & Wesson has had a Walther PPKS of mine for 6 months on a factory recall and the other day I got a letter stating it may take another 2 or 3 months before I get it back. :mad:

Hope it all turns out for ya
DR

well i am a gunsmith, i just did not want to work on a gun that i just purchased. i will just accept that they sell junk and build a match gun from the ground up like i should have done to begin with.

I build a lot of AR's myself and the main reason is that for the most part, all the major AR manufacturers use poor barrels (mass-market). I've replaced a few barrels for guys also and when you borescope them, no wonder they don't shoot. Bores are drilled, reamed, rifled and sent off to be profiled and assembled. I'd love to see how long it takes to hog out a chamber in their setup, I'm guessing a few seconds from the looks of a few. Doesn't take a whole lot to get one of them to shoot well, but it does take a decent barrel and chamber job and I haven't seen any of the big manufactures do that with any consistency lately.

Back