Bullet Making (originally owned by Stephen Perry)

Some Dakotahs

Al Nyhus gave me a few of his Bullets to Try, kinda the reason that I ordered the same setup from Mr Blackmon.

117.jpg

117Dakotah.jpg

This was with ZERO load development just kinda did what I thought would work.

I made 6mm bullets for a number of years.....

It is addictive and very expensive.

It is also rough on your shoulder, I had surgery on mine.

With the quality bullets that are being made today, it would be a hard sell to get me to start making bullets again.

Good luck!

George

You might not have seen my Post a couple back. I asked you if you were familiar with Bahler steel bullet making dies. I have a set in 22 cal that Allen Bench gave me.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

You might not have seen my Post a couple back. I asked you if you were familiar with Bahler steel bullet making dies. I have a set in 22 cal that Allen Bench gave me.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

During the late 1940's, Biehler & Astels - from Ice Land no less - invented the single cavity swaging-up process, by which, to this day, all BR quality bullets are formed. In Precision Shooting, I believe during the late 1980's, there was a very well done, informative article published about these gentlemen and their dies. B&A dies are capable of making excellent bullets. My original die-set were B&A .224 caliber, which regrettably, upon obtaining a set of Rorschach made .224 dies, I sold . . . :eek::( RG

Randy,b&a were from rochester n.y. johnas hillgramson was from iceland and very instramental in helping b&a getting started. george

Randy,b&a were from rochester n.y. johnas hillgramson was from iceland and very instramental in helping b&a getting started. george

George, Thank you for setting this straight - it was Mr Hallgrimson, who authored the PS article to which I referred . . . the grey matter is getting more murky with age! :D RG

Last edited:
Thank You.

Just wanted to say thank you to all that contribute to this Bullet Making Thread.

Its got it all, Dies, History, Pics, User tricks, I vote that this should be a Sticky Somehow.

And to all that have taken the time to type out there knowledge for us lesser beings, again, thanks.

Just wanted to say thank you to all that contribute to this Bullet Making Thread.

Its got it all, Dies, History, Pics, User tricks, I vote that this should be a Sticky Somehow.

And to all that have taken the time to type out there knowledge for us lesser beings, again, thanks.

Well said Steve, thanks all.

Dan Honert

I vote with Steve for a sticky. There is a lot to learn here about bullet making.
Best,
Dan Batko

"Where are we going and why am I in this basket?"

Die makers

What would be great is a list of bullet die makers and contact information in a nice tidy group in a sticky. RANDY

Randy Robinett

Thanks for commenting Randy. Feel free on commenting on anything that has been Posted so far. Your one of the bullet makers I hoped would join the BR Bullet Making Thread.

Randy do you know which PS Mag article you were referring to on B&A dies. I might have the Mag and would like to read it.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited:
Br bullet making

Here are 2 bullet die makers that i know
both make B&A style dies.
Gerorge Ulrich
2906 Werges Ave
Alton ILL: 62002 Ph 618-462- 1901

David Detsch
350 W est Creek Rd
St Marys PA 15857 Ph 814-834-3035
www.david@diemaker.us
Gerry

Blackmon, Simonson, and Neimi

If anybody has the contact info for these bullet makers and any others Please share.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Larry Blackmon
303 McMillan Road
West Monroe, LA 71291-8316
(318) 387-7257

Larry is an optometrist and makes bullet making dies in his spare time to relax. Kind of like Don Rorschach was when he was making bullet making dies. Don was the city attorney for the city of Irving, Tx if I remember correctly. He made bullet making dies to relax from the pressures of being a lawyer.

I'll see if I can find Niemi's contact information tomorrow when I'm in the shop. I know I have it as I have a set of Niemi dies, just need to find it.

During the late 1940's, Biehler & Astels - from Ice Land no less - invented the single cavity swaging-up process, by which, to this day, all BR quality bullets are formed. In Precision Shooting, I believe during the late 1980's, there was a very well done, informative article published about these gentlemen and their dies. B&A dies are capable of making excellent bullets. My original die-set were B&A .224 caliber.... RG

Randy, the article you're referring to is from the January 1985 issue of Prescision Shooting, page 16.

Dave Brennan prefaced the article with this quote:

" Editor's note: Jonas Hallgrimson was a vital part of the evolution of thought and logic that lead to the development of the Biehler and Astles dies. The B&A bullet-making dies were a great breakthrough in the development of accuracy; they were the fore-runner of todays dies....all of which trace their lineage to B&A.....their development was one of the landmarks of the sport".

Mr. Hallgrimson also included a copy of the B& A catalog, a page of which was included in the article.

Here's a copy I made of the B&A catalog page from that article:
ba1.jpg

If you'd like a copy of the article, let me know and I'll drop it in the mail to 'ya. :)

Good shootin'. :) -Al

Bullet maker.

W.B. Niemi Engieering
p.o. box 125 4627 Center Rd.
Greensboro, VT. 05841
phone 802 533 7180.

These guys made all my stuff & I don't see how any could be better, He only sells carbide dies. I've not talked to him in a quite some time.. A couple yrs ago they were not taking new orders because they were so buisy.. anybody know that status now??

Re making bullets.. making your own is personally rewarding. I like the fact that i could make any weight i wanted anytime I wanted (within the range of the caliber, & jacket length constraints of course). I didn't have to wonder what my rifle would do with a bullet weight i didn't have.. Just form a few cores make the bullets and test..

Randy Robinette was my mentor & was quick to help with any problem or question i had..

since i no longer sell bullets, I've got some extra equipment i could do without., Private message me if interested.

Kirk

Randy, the article you're referring to is from the January 1985 issue of Prescision Shooting, page 16.

Dave Brennan prefaced the article with this quote:

" Editor's note: Jonas Hallgrimson was a vital part of the evolution of thought and logic that lead to the development of the Biehler and Astles dies. The B&A bullet-making dies were a great breakthrough in the development of accuracy; they were the fore-runner of todays dies....all of which trace their lineage to B&A.....their development was one of the landmarks of the sport".

Mr. Hallgrimson also included a copy of the B& A catalog, a page of which was included in the article.

Here's a copy I made of the B&A catalog page from that article:
ba1.jpg

If you'd like a copy of the article, let me know and I'll drop it in the mail to 'ya. :)

Good shootin'. :) -Al

Al I'd love a copy of that article.
Thanks
Dan Honert

Back