Blow up puzzler

I did not but I believe they contacted him and all the brass they tested of his was within hardness specs... I think the consensus is some polishing media in the case...

This is an LC 97 .223 case head that failed when my friend Den was prairie dog hunting.

The poor gas routing of his new Rem700 hurt his eye.
He had to drive a long way to find a doctor.

Attachments

• 223 LC 97 case that failed in Rem 700 and damaged Dennis' eye.jpg
    223 LC 97 case that failed in Rem 700 and damaged Dennis' eye.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 463
This is an LC 97 .223 case head that failed when my friend Den was prairie dog hunting.

The poor gas routing of his new Rem700 hurt his eye.
He had to drive a long way to find a doctor.

To me that appears it had a different extractor than the original 700 extractor. Can you confirm that?

I did not but I believe they contacted him and all the brass they tested of his was within hardness specs... I think the consensus is some polishing media in the case...

Dennis, I do not know if this will help or not, but one time (a few years ago) I purchased a large bulk of W-W brass, while sorting I found a substantial # of the brass that had splits clearly visable to the naked eye. I bagged all of the split brass up and sent it back to W-W and they never clearly admitted any problems but sent me a gift cert to make up for exactly the # of brass that I sent to them. I now look all brass over VERY good before putting it into service. Ron Tilley

Dennis,
I have read many of your posts here and am sure all
is done right. When you think about how brass is formed, it
may be that all in a lot are soft, but to have only an occasional
soft case is not likely to me.
I did have a similiar occurance at one time. I had built a 22ppc
for a fellow and I had seen him shoot it well with no problems.
Two weeks later, at I think Super Shoot 13. He was putting belts
on his cases and the primer pockets were large rifle size.
It turned out that his brother was using his powder measure
to load 44 mags with 4227. Looking at what we thought to be
H4895, now was actually a blend. All cases did not do this,apparently
not blended well enough. The cases were original Sako's
with the semi-balloon heads. He was lucky

Very interesting thread. So here is my 2 cents. Been a while since I loaded any BLC2 in a 223, but did his load, which I think was 26.5 come up in the neck? Seems like back in the far end of my mind, what is left of it, I read that ball powder should never be compressed. In fact it should always be shot with a bit of space between it and the bullet. Anyone ever heard of this? Also just looking at the first pics the chamfer on the chamber looks to be a tad, maybe two tads, too much. Could just be the lighting in the picture, but sure looks too round to me. Be nice to know what the problem is. Could be media, that is why I don't tumble anymore. Even sold my tumbler, got tired of picking walnut grains out of primer holes. One other thing Dennis, can you borescope the barrel and see if there are any pressure rings inside the bore, down near the muzzle or back a few inches. It is possible to get a pressure spike above 120,000 psi under certain conditions. Kind of like a secondary explosion. It usually will make rings in the barrel that sometimes can be seen on the outside surface of the barrel.

Donald

I also had a load blow up in my Savage 112BT .223 gun. This was new Winchester brass right out of the bag. Turns out that there was some .222 brass mixed in with the .223 and it got past me. Went through two bags and found four .222 in the first bag and seven .222 in the second. I still have eighteen unopened bags of brass that may have the same issue. :mad:

I haven't used BLC-2, but H-335 has air space @ 26.5 gr in the .223.

To the o/p, that's a great big hmm. It certainly does make the case for using a chronograph for load work. Being able to compare how fast a gun is shooting for a given load to compare to published data would certainly help in trying to rule out massive over loads, or something else strange going on.

I'd want to push a lead slug through the bore to see if there are any constrictions or rough spots.

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I recall M-16's using the initial
batches of ammo , failing due to high pressures. This problem was traced to very hot warehouse storage. I think it brought on the use of stick powders.

So we are blaming this on walnut shell pieces or just quit trying to find the answer? Is he still shooing the same load??

Is he Reloading the ammo ?????

I didn't get to read all of the thread on this, but this is a problem that I had and perhaps it will help . . .

Is he Reloading the Brass, is it once fired and he is reloading ??? The reason I ask is I had a problem about like that with a (remain un-named rifle) Very popular Varmint one. I had 3 of them blow up on me and I found that the Brass has to be trimmed to the minimum length on the .223. What was happeing to me I was reloading the brass and the Neck was too long and causing a Spike in the chamber pressures that were blowing the heads off the cases and into may face. I had sent the rifle back to the factory and they checked the head space on it, fired 20 rounds and sent it back. The first two cases blew the head completly off the case, and, I didn't think to measure the remaining parts to the parent case length. What was happening in my rifle was the Case was Un-Supported for nearly .250" and with the spike in the pressure it would blow the heads off. After the 3rd case blew off I went into measure mode, and found the barrel was not set back to the bolt face, the factory rebarreled it . . . :) Between the two problems I have not had a case blow on that rifle again.

Now - I trim every case . . no matter what it was fired in, and I made a gage that if it won't go through it . . it doesn't get reloaded until it does. . . Check his cases and see if they are over 1.75 in length if so . . TRIM THEM !! Then see what happens . . I don't think that you can put too much powder in a .223 case, unless it is Bullseye . . I hope he has better since than that . . . :rolleyes:

Phantom496

Blow up puzzler I would guess.......

1. The trim length was to long, crimping the round in the chamber. The trim length measurement was taken BEFORE full length resizing. After flrs, trim lenght was too long. 2. Dezincification of Brass. http://www.hghouston.com/coppers/brass75.htm A cleaning agent/solvent weakened the brass. If the 5% zinc content is depleted, the brass becomes brittle?:confused: I do not know this to be true:confused:

So we are blaming this on walnut shell pieces or just quit trying to find the answer? Is he still shooing the same load??

No more problems... I think the conclusion is - there was debris in those loads ...

Back