Best carbon cleaner?

Elmer,

I'm happy with Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner, particularly as the local workshop manager can't believe what I use it for & gives it to me for free.

John

Last edited:
Carbon remover

Mercury Quicksilver or Slip 2000 along with JB bore compound. There is no 'best' but the above work if used correctly. Examination with a borescope will tell the real story.

Lou Baccino

KG-1 for carbon
KG-12 for copper removal.

JeffVN
I know KG-12 is the best copper remouver that I have tested myself!!!! But how is kg-1 carbon cleaner compared to other products out there? Is it as good in comparison as KG-12 is to copper?
Thanks
elmer

To me KG-1 is as good as KG-12. I agree, there is no comparrison on Copper removers, KG-12 dominates them all.

I have used and abandoned several highly respected products (shooters choice, Montanna Extreme, Butches Bore Shine, Sweet 7.62) for the KG 1 and 12 combination in all my rifles, F-Class, hunting, and tactical.

JeffVN

To me KG-1 is as good as KG-12. I agree, there is no comparrison on Copper removers, KG-12 dominates them all.

I have used and abandoned several highly respected products (shooters choice, Montanna Extreme, Butches Bore Shine, Sweet 7.62) for the KG 1 and 12 combination in all my rifles, F-Class, hunting, and tactical.

JeffVN
Yup KG-12 blew my mind, I thought I had the copper remoever in Boreteck eliminator and when I did my test, Boreteck failed miserably, in my test KG remouved 6 grains of copper in 7 hours, and boreteck remouved nothing in 7 days ecxept .1 grain!!!!!! Wow. So if KG-1 is that good Iwill go ahaed and order some!
Thx
Elmer

I used to use "OX-Yoke Accuracy Restorer" with good results. The stuff would make your eyes water, nose burn, and throat go raw within 30 seconds of removing the lid, but it worked.
I finally gave it up for JB or Rem Bore Cleaner. I didn`t care for the fumes and the abrasives were quicker, even though they tend to make me nervous about bore damage.

Comparing a paper Airplane to a AA-18 Hornet

That's what its like comparing any thing with the KG products. KG-1 gets copper out by showing up as blue. But the copper KG-12 removes shows up as brown colored stuff on the patch.Its a strange liquid that balls up for a bit on the patch before the patch finialy absorbs it. Amazing how some Chemist developed that stuff.Its like it get under the copper and scoops it out...... Seriously does any one know how it works? Isn't with other Copper removers that the blue on the patch is the copper that has been oxidized . So the brown stuff on a used patch of KG-12 what exactly has happened to the copper? Dang I wonder if Obama plans create a special Tax of Gun cleaning solvents.

I'm using Hoppe's Copper Solvent -- does anyone know if it is any good?

I apply it to the bore, give it a couple of hours, and swab it out. The first couple of patches come out green as grass.

A friend of mine from out west sent me some emails a while back, insisting that one of the "foaming" copper removers had corroded his bore. Brand not specified. He said, "yes, I know the label indicates that can't happen." Soooo . . . . maybe some of these compounds are almost TOO good . . . . They take out the copper, and maybe some of the steel too.

Is ammonia in the copper remover a dangerous item for some barrels?

Thanks for any comments or answers . . . .

I'm using Hoppe's Copper Solvent -- does anyone know if it is any good?

I apply it to the bore, give it a couple of hours, and swab it out. The first couple of patches come out green as grass.

A friend of mine from out west sent me some emails a while back, insisting that one of the "foaming" copper removers had corroded his bore. Brand not specified. He said, "yes, I know the label indicates that can't happen." Soooo . . . . maybe some of these compounds are almost TOO good . . . . They take out the copper, and maybe some of the steel too.

Is ammonia in the copper remover a dangerous item for some barrels?

Thanks for any comments or answers . . . .

Did he apply it in conjuction with another solvent? I`ve heard one shouldn`t mix the foams with other cleaners.
My experiance is they are great, and all I`ve used the last couple years.

worker

according to the cap and tax bill, the carbon you blow out your barrel will be subtracted from your familys carbon footprint allowence. that means the gestopo will shut off your furnace when its 20 below zero next winter. ;)

Fred

Elmer ...

What is the best carbon cleaner you guys use? Elmer

The best carbon cleaner ??? The best without a doubt is J-B non-embedding bore cleaning compound. ;)

Instructions received from Krieger along with my Krieger barrel: Break-In and Cleaning, Under Cleaning:

"Abrasive cleaners work well. They do not damage the bore, they clean all types of fouling (copper, powder, lead, plastic), and they have the added advantage of of polishing the throat both in 'break in' and later on when the throat begins to roughen again from the rounds fired. One national champion we know polishes the throats on his rifles every several hundred rounds or so with diamond paste to extend their accuracy life."

Here is what the most prolific winner of all time in Benchrest has had to say about JB Non-Embedding Bore Cleaning Compound:

"I personally believe in the use of JB Bore Cleaner... I use it after every yardage. 3 to 5 tight fitting patches with JB will get the powder fouling out... I do a full cleaning before I use JB and also after I use JB, to make certain I've got all the JB out of the barrel. ... Tony Boyer"

Source: The Benchrest Shooting Primer, ON THE TOPIC OF BARRELS, by Tony Boyer, Page 349, upper left.

Last edited by a moderator:
QUOTE=Worker;515369]That's what its like comparing any thing with the KG products. KG-1 gets copper out by showing up as blue. But the copper KG-12 removes shows up as brown colored stuff on the patch.Its a strange liquid that balls up for a bit on the patch before the patch finialy absorbs it. Amazing how some Chemist developed that stuff.Its like it get under the copper and scoops it out...... Seriously does any one know how it works? Isn't with other Copper removers that the blue on the patch is the copper that has been oxidized . So the brown stuff on a used patch of KG-12 what exactly has happened to the copper? Dang I wonder if Obama plans create a special Tax of Gun cleaning solvents.[/QUOTE]

Every one of you that has commented on KG-1 and KG-12, have spoken the truth. I found out about bore cleaners after trying them all. Now I only use the KG products. My private testing and evaluation have proven to me that it really works. Better than anything else I've ever tried. I always start with KG-1. Next I move to the KG-12. Without a doubt this works faster than any thing I used before. The other thing I've found is the elimination of using any brushing. KG-12 eats up bore brushes.

http://www.cleenboreusa.com/kg/kg-12testresults.asp

I am another KG Products user and I start with the KG-1 - let it soak for a few minutes then it gets a nylon bore brush with KG-2 Bore Polish with 25 strokes then patch it out with normal solvent. Then I borescope it to see if any copper is left - if so then it gets the KG-12 and then borescoped again. Very rarely do I have to use the KG-12. The KG-12 gets used mostly on the AR-10 due to the gas port stripping the copper jacket in that area.
I didn't believe it either until I got a Hawkeye borescope and saw it for myself.

Larry

Just used it

My AR-15 had a few 100 rnds through it. So I pushed two patches of KG-1 down it patch came out deep blue. wiped the bore with couple of patches. Then saturated a patch with KG-12 then 10 strokes with nylon brush. Barrel looks like a mirror now. Really amazing how well it works.

Back