Benchrest History Thread

Boy do I ever date myself. You could buy a SAKO PPC repeater with a thin barrel, and a mag in either the 22 or 6mm. You could also buy a single shot version with a heavy barrel. How do I know this? my buddy shot a deer out of a tree stand with a thin barreled PPC and we had to adjust our rules to accommodate the heavy barreled single shot actions, ie the 40X, the SAKO 6PPC single shots. Oh well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lou Palmisano gives Giuseppe Broggi (his cousin) in the first 6 Sako PPC to S.S. 1986

Attachments

• lou 1.jpg
    lou 1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 957
  • lou 2.jpg
    lou 2.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 955
6 ppc

Lou Palmisano gives Giuseppe Broggi (his cousin) in the first 6 Sako PPC to S.S. 1986

I was there when Doc Palmisono gave him the rifle, . I was sure it was a Ruger #1 w/serial # 1.. I would really like to know which. I think his friend is the person that purchased, from a small gunshop, a box or 220 Russian ammo,, gave it to Doc Palmisano. May be wrong,, but I believe it was the same box that he and Ferris Pindall started the development of the 22 PPC. When he presented the rifle, we were in the building where the shop @ Kelblys is now, long before the large reloading area was built.. I also remember the 1st Sako 6PPC I saw was @ Super Shoot. Ron DIll, of Virginia shot it in one of the classes.. As I remember, the rifle produced a .188" @ 100yds.

Last edited:
I did everything I S.S. Lou Palmisano (I acted as interpreter and mentor) he told me that the gun given to Broggi is the first in 6 Sako PPC USA commercial ... more ... I do not know (sorry I do not speak English and use Google translator ..)

Attachments

• lou.jpg
    lou.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 949
Copied from another thread - Wilbur did it.....

I found this. PS- The 1965 equipment list was in an old PS Magazine. I also found some nostalgia in an old "Rifle" magazine showing the original HOF inductees. James Mock

Attachments

• 1965 nats 001.jpg
    1965 nats 001.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,039
  • Rifle Magazine 1972 Hall of Fame.pdf
    702.3 KB · Views: 848
Last edited by a moderator:
1st 6PPC

I did everything I S.S. Lou Palmisano (I acted as interpreter and mentor) he told me that the gun given to Broggi is the first in 6 Sako PPC USA commercial ... more ... I do not know (sorry I do not speak English and use Google translator ..)

Wasn't trying to start a ruckcus. This may not be the same time or rifle,, but Ruger presented Doc Palmisano w/ Ruger #1 Serial # 1 in 6PPC, and he gave it to one of his good friends @ Super Shoot,,, 1986 or 1987 I'm pretty sure it was SS 14,, my first year there (out of 21 yrs in a row)

Last edited:
.30 American

The short-lived .30 American from 1987.

The precision crowd moved Federal to produce 50,000 small primer .30-30 cases. As advertised, it was held to match standards and received additional annealing.

Back then a few folks seemed uncomfortable relying on a foreign entity (ie, Sako) for BR worthy brass (not a concern now but their fears came to pass with the PPC brass shortage 2 - 3 years later). I'd love to buy a piece or two of .30 American for my cartridge collection. If anyone has one they're willing to sell, PM or email me at lee@singleactions.com

Thanks,

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

In his book, "The Ultimate in Rifle Accuracy", Glenn Newick devotes a chapter that gives a pretty good history of how extreme accuracy shooting evolved through the ages..

Last edited:
Marcy Lyons' article on T-322 from April 1984. This is the first Precision Shooting piece on T powder, though Walt Berger advertised it earlier in '84. His equipment lists also show he was shooting the stuff in 1982:

Clearly written before Hodgdon pressured Thunderbird to drop the last "2". BTW, does anyone remember when Hodgdon released H322? Was it the late 60's or early 70's? I know it was all surplus until they contracted the Scottish run in the late 70's.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Interesting-Marcy is shooting a0.2603" load in a 0.261" chamber.

Interesting too, I started with a Jimmy Myers action, and a Hart Barrel but mine was a 22 Waldog stocked by Fred Sinclair.

6 mm American

The short-lived .30 American from 1987.

The precision crowd moved Federal to produce 50,000 small primer .30-30 cases. As advertised, it was held to match standards and received additional annealing.

Back then a few folks seemed uncomfortable relying on a foreign entity (ie, Sako) for BR worthy brass (not a concern now but their fears came to pass with the PPC brass shortage 2 - 3 years later). I'd love to buy a piece or two of .30 American for my cartridge collection. If anyone has one they're willing to sell, PM or email me at lee@singleactions.com

Thanks,

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I had a McMillan barrel on an XP-100 (by James Coffee). After approx 3000 rds, I had Dave Tooley rechamber the barrel in 6 MM American. After forming brass,, turning down the rim to .441" (to fit ppc bolt) cutting extractor groove, and fireforming, I went to Kettlefoot,, Bristol Va. My first group in the 200 yd LV, was .304" from this warn out barrel. I won my first trophy's w/this 6 American barrel. I finished 3rd @ Riverbend after shooting .420" @ 100yd sporter w/ppc on the first group, shooting the following 4 groups w/the 6 American (all in the ones). Also a small group pine board in 10 shot unlimited w/ .181" @ 100. I think this is a great cartridge if there wasn't so much work into making them.

Back