Bat action 6PPC won't eject brass

Markhor

My rifle has just developed this issue. I was testing some new brass that I had fire formed. If I load a piece of brass, it won't eject it. I tried old brass that worked fine in the rifle and it still won't eject it. I have to drop a 22 cal bullet from the muzzle to push the brass out.
Can someone please assist me in testing the ejector? It does move when i press it down. Is this something that I can check or should i take it over to the gunsmith.

Thanks,
Ed

Does the extractor work, but not the ejector? Or does it neighter work? If so, do you have a Sako type extractor or a sliding plate extractor a´la Kelbly?

Mark you need to be more clear...

"EJECT" is to throw the case clear of the action.

I think you're looking for "EXTRACT" which is the action of removing the case from the chamber.

???

al

Sorry guys, it does not extract brass out of the chamber. The brass is not stuck in their hard because a 22 cal bullet will push it out, it seems that the bolt is somehow not helping in pulling it out. This has happened a few times intermittently on fired cases at the range as well. In the case of fired cases, it takes a cleaning rod to push them out. In this case these we're sized fire formed cases that I was inserting in the chamber to check.

Thanks,
Ed

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, pull the bolt and take one of the cases that you are having a problem with and position it on the bolt face, with the extractor hooked on the rim. How much clearance is there between the inside of the hook and the front of the rim, with the head of the case pressed against the bolt face?

OK, so answer P's question... what type extractor? You say "it does move when I press down" what does this mean?

"press down" how?

al

Boyd, i was able to normally extract 2 pieces of brass and compared them to the ones that were not extracting.
When I push these prices into the bolt, their is some play between the case and the extractor. The ones that don't have any play and fit tight, extracted normally. Is this a brass sizing issue.

Alinwa, I don't know what type of ejector is in the bolt, I had bought the rifle used. Please see photos below

Thanks

Attachments

• Bolt1.jpg
    Bolt1.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 425
  • Bolt2.jpg
    Bolt2.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
I was thinking that if the fire forming did not push the shoulders to their most forward position, or cases were from another rifle or barrel that has slightly shorter headspace, and the fit of the rim of the extractor on the rim was close, that the ejector might be holding far enough off the bolt face that the extractor was prevented from hooking the rim. I ran into this on a friend's three lug, when I chambered a piece of brass that had been sized for my rifle with a .001 bump, to see if his rifle was headspace shorter than mine. It was the other way around. When I put the case on the bolt face, under the extractor hook, there was virtually no clearance.

Last edited:
I have added photos of the bolt above. It does appear that the cases are being pushed in too far & the extractor hook is missing the rim. What is baffling is that its doing it with a lot of different cases. I have two Bat rifles, but I keep the brass separated.

Thanks,
Ed

I have heard of this before, too little clearance between the inside of the hook and the bolt face. Call BAT. They should take care of it.

Is it a ppc/308 combi bolt face? You can check by testing with a 308 etc. casing. Bat has a special extractor for the combi bolts that aren´t working with ppc cases.

shoot the new brass one more time and see if it wont work. I have experienced similar situations in the past. Good luck and i hope all ends well. Lee

Hello Ed,
I had the same issue. under the extractor there is a pin. Tom Dickson took the pin out and filed the pin so the extractor could grab the brass that was all it was. this was 3 lug like yours. And it worked like a charm since.

My rifle has just developed this issue. I was testing some new brass that I had fire formed. If I load a piece of brass, it won't eject it. I tried old brass that worked fine in the rifle and it still won't eject it. I have to drop a 22 cal bullet from the muzzle to push the brass out.
Can someone please assist me in testing the ejector? It does move when i press it down. Is this something that I can check or should i take it over to the gunsmith.

Thanks,
Ed

Ed I had the same issue with a 30br. As it turned out I was bumping the shoulder back to much when resizing the brass. When I adjusted the die to only bump the shoulder .001" the problem went away.

Thanks Gentalmen, I will start with the shoulder bump and if that does not fix it, will have the extractor pin looked at.
I will report the results.

Thanks again,
Ed

One more maybe silly question, if I load and shoot the brass whos shoulder had been bumped too far back, will the firing correct the shoulder? Will the brass then extract out normally after firing at that time.

I have a strong suspicion now, that too much bumping was the problem. I backed off my die and was able to extract some new 220 brass out without an issue

Thanks,
Ed

Ed, refiring the brass will get the shoulder where it needs to be.

But more importantly...how are you measuring the shoulder set back when you resize?

Good shootin'. -Al

Al, I go by the feel of how the bolt closes with the firing pin removed. I plan on getting the Sinclair bump gauge as well to get a more precise measurement.

Thanks,
Ed

Back