Bat action 6PPC won't eject brass

If you have a Harrell's FL die, it came with a brass bump gauge. These sometimes are not recognized for what they are.

I had exact same problem with one of my bats. I was oiling my brass for fireforming and got oil on my extractor. I cleaned good with gunscrubber and my problem was solved. This particular exectractor is very sensitive to oil while my other one is not.

It should have come with the die, and because of its general size and shape is sometimes thought to be some sort of neck bushing, and may be simply set aside. One end of the ID is cut at an angle, to rest on the cases' shoulders, and it is long enough to extend past the end of the neck of a fire formed case. By placing it over the neck and measuring from its end to the head of the case (being sure that nothing of the primer is sticking up beyond the head) one may measure the fired and sized cases to adjust the die in the press.

Ed, make sure and remove the fired primers before measuring......they can skew the measurements by a few thou. -Al

Al and Ed,
I gave the punch out the primers advice forever, until recently I was playing with a new fancy priming tool that I need to get busy and finish a review of (21st Century stainless). I wanted to get a feel for the adjustable seating depth feature, so I picked up a fired PPC case, that had come from my DGA and mashed the primer. It seated the primer below flush again (It had started that way.) and flattened the crater as well. I always have my hand priming tool right there when I am setting a FL die, and I still have a pretty good grip for an old guy. It looks like there is one less thing that I need to carry to the range.

Last edited:
Back