any GOOD 6.5 bullets?

alinwa

oft dis'd member
well the title perty much says it....... I've been sucked into chambering some 6.5 CM's and am slightly confused as to how they shoot. I'm used to 22's, 6's and 30's, even 338's where I can always find trustworthy bullets, thereby eliminating them as a variable. I KNOW that if I'm not getting 5-shot groups that are tall roundish holes I've got a problem.

I don't have a feel for how these mainstream Hornady/Nosler/Sierra/Norma/Swift offerings shoot, or actually how they're SUPPOSED to shoot, what to expect. I don't have access to Cauterucio's and currently no Bergers (and don't know how their 6.5 jackets rate)

I'm not getting crisp groups.

Sometimes groups even have air in them.

I do intend to build one for myself to test but just haven't found time.

Aside from custom bullets from reputable makers, I find that for competition anymore I only bother with offerings from Berger, Sierra and some speer in .22 caliber.

I have had decent results with nosler 120 hunting ballistic tips. this is out of a 6.5 x 47 Lapua, pencil barrel kreiger. And of course when you push larger than 3 shot groups out of a thin barrel, the groups get bigger.

I have a bunch of Cauterucio's 141's left over from when I was running a 6.5-06imp in 1000br. If you would be interested in them I could cut you a good deal....They always shot great for me. Shoot me a PM if your interested. I will see what I have left. Should be real close to 1k.

Regards
Rick

142 matchkings

Sierra 142 matchkings shoot the best in my 6.5 cm. Ive shot groups under a half in. with them. Ive decided the worst thing you can ever do is have a B.R. rifle, if your gonna shoot sporters too, then you think everything outta shoot a .250 . The first group is always the best in mine. Then the barrel starts heatin up. There fun to play with. Doug

Al, I have a few boxes of the 135gr BiB's sitting around. I could give you 30 or so to test if you like. Shoot me your mailing info via pm and I can get some to you this week.

Robin Ardoin

I find that for competition anymore I only bother with offerings from Berger, Sierra and some speer in .22 caliber.

The step from even Speer to a Berger is often night and day.

Berger's are incredibly uniform in weight and shape.

Years ago one of the BR makers tried to speed up the bullet presses they used.
The uniformity apparently went to hell.

It takes a little bit of time for even lead to 'flow' under the forming pressure.

It is pretty far from a 'low viscosity' material.
Solid material be like that.

you mean like berger slowing down with this

Attachments

• berger bulet press.jpg
    berger bulet press.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 308
Oh, the pleasure of being simple.

I think a better question would be are there any bad bullets for the 6.5 CM. I have a Browning X Bolt with a wood stock that I bought over a year ago because the beautiful wood stock caught my eye. Although it is a light weight sporter rifle it shoots good three shot 1/2 inch groups with most of the bullets I have tried. I have used Hornady and Sierra. I have used 140 grain and 130 grain with good results and I even tried some discontinued 85 grain Sierra hollow points that looked really ugly and they shot well under one inch with almost the same recoil as my 22/250. I have tried some 100 grain that group as good as any at 100 yards. The key may be that most bullets are very good these days.

I know that this rifle with any bullet will not win first place at a benchrest match. It is not intended for that purpose but I am happy.

Concho Bill

I was going to suggest the 123, 136 and even the 108 Scenars...beautiful bullets.

Last edited:
I might try the 136s when I get a little throat wear. I live the 123s. I have shot up Factor Lapua 108s for the brass and they shot well even in a 1:8 twist barrel.

Bob

I might try the 136s when I get a little throat wear. I live the 123s. I have shot up Factor Lapua 108s for the brass and they shot well even in a 1:8 twist barrel.

Bob

Not surprised, the 108 has the same length jacket as the 123's. It didn't stabilize in a 9.something twist 6.5 TCU pistol I tried it in. Printed perfect sideways holes at 25 yards with that one! In an 8 twist 6.5x47 they shot great.

Hornady A-Tip

Anyone have any solid data on the machined a-tip? ...outside of needing a second mortgage to run them.

Back