any GOOD 6.5 bullets?

Precision Ballistics

I know these aren't over the counter variety but Don Lahrs at Precision Ballistics in Nevada makes a large selection of 6.5 bullets. They are both FB and boattail and range from 110 gr to 142.

It weren't the bullets.....

But FIRST of all I thank those who helped, all of you.... R.Morehouse and rardoin in particular for lining me up with some real bullets.

And latest KBob for turning me to Don Lahr, but first an update.

I put together a money-saving setup using a 700action, a shall-not-be-named stock with AL bedding block and some Ozzie bottom metal. The first few bullets did not touch.

this is BAD.

A few groups that looked like ducks and leprechauns, no catapilliars and no leaning towers.... just nuttin' that makes sense.

Re-bedded, found the the front pillar was slipping up and down in it's aluminum chassis.

!!

????

!!

Now what kinda' putz would drill a hole thru the AL bedding block to install an aluminum pillar? Obviously someone who has no clue what the pillar's for, like it's there for "compression" or something.

Anyways, tried to re-slobber everything and lock it together and had a half-day to dink with it before it flew away on a jetplane. It never made a real group. And from all reports it's STILL not making dots.....and I'm not used to this. Even 700's should shoot HOLES, just maybe bigger holes than really crisp setups. But easy 1/4moa.....easy

And me never having fired a 6.5, 'specially not the 'llustrious and estimable Six Point Five Apollio The Creed.... I guess I got no idea what it SHOULD do.. I know for a simple FACT that the 6.5 Creedmoor looks good on paper, like I'd designed it myself, but bullets???

Unknown...all's I know is it ain't shoot like no 30, nor 6mm . . . . nor 22 centerfire

But I put together another one. I got's the reamer, a FatButt Yo'Mama one-off to my weirdo overblown specs.... but I've only got one bushing for the reamer, no reason to spend for a whole set when I pre-bore and I'll probably only ever build these for hunters.....

So I put together another gun. Stiller Predator, a hunting gun but with top-notch components. MAINLY a top-notch stock. Not my favorite design, a Manners T5 all tacti-cool and thumb-holy but it should SHOOT fer cryin' the blues....

So ennyways.... I made anuther'n

And it SHOOTS...

Ohhh Good Lord Above does it SHOOT!!!

It shoots retar'ted good...... those same factory bullets, some Berger 140 Hunting, some Hornady 142 ELD Match, some 143 ELD-X stuff......I fireformed some cases so's I could make a die and broke in the barrel because with no reamer bushing selection I wanted to baby the leade in, I fired 3-shot groups with the light barrel and did one string of 7 in a row shoot/clean/shoot/clean/shoot 7 TIMES without windflags and off a mini Bull's bag on a board.

And it shoots like it should. EVEN WITH THE CHEESEHOLE BULLETS, it shoots like a 600yd gun. I haven't even touched the bullets that the guys sent over, I'MA' BUILD ME A 6.5 CREED! (man, that sounded less worser inside my head before i wrote it...)

wheww.... still light-headed over that admission..... gonna' build me'self a creed......

So thank you all for your help. I feel like I betrayed you rardoin but I WILL BE legitimately testing them BIB's, just in a good setup! And, I have a nice little starter kit of Cauteruchio's and I will be ordering some of Lahr's bullets to go with the others and it looks like another 600-1000 LG is happening.

steenking 6.5 Creedmoor, me, who'da'thunkit!

BTW I feel I gotta' add this before folks start bad-guessing some good products.

I've built very successful setups on certain cheap over-the-counter stocks. 3 that come to mind that include the AL bedding blocks are Hogue over-molded rubber (decently light, decent feel, but kinda' weird?? Can wear on your cheek if shot a lot using a big chambering) H-S Precision (Kludgy and heavy but SHOOT) and I even did one lately on a Stocky's Accu-Block M50 (freakin' takes HEAVY! to a new level but seems to shoot fine)

This WAS NOT one of those 3

Nor was it a McMillan, Manners nor Robertson nor any other laid-up fiber stock.

And yes, at this point I'm guessing the stock is my root problem. I WILL MAKE THE GUN SHOOT !!!!! Even though it lives 2700 miles away.

I do know now that the 6.5 is worthy

Worthy enough that I'll shoot one.

I might will wear a bag over my head or dark glasses and a mustache..... but I WILL have to wring one out now.

thanxagain

al

rantover

Ohhh, and those 7 shots shoot/clean/shoot/clean/shoot/clean?????

ONE hole, and never hadda' "shoot out paper"

edited to add..... ooops, I lied. there is one showing paper in this group. The group formed a little bit away from the first shot......And I just walked down to look and take a picture of that day's setup before the rain takes the targets off (I broke in a 300WSM, the "good" 6.5 and a prototype "338 Edge" style hunting gun that hurls 300gr OTM's like t'underbolts) and it's a fairly BIG hole

Last edited:
Al, you won't be disappointed with Precision Ballistic (Don Lahr) bullets. I have shot his 6.5mm 142's to great effect at 600 and 1000yds in F class. They ain't cheap but I don't have to sort them either.

Back