Another neck turning thread.

J

Jim Cox

Hello all, first post here.

I'm in the process of putting together a 1k heavy gun in 6XC, and the purpose of this thread is getting some feedback on neck turning tools.

The three that I'm most interested in are not the commonly recommended ones, so I'm struggling to find feedback on them.

First one:

The Time Precision tool

Second:

The R.W. Hart tool

Third:

The no longer in production (as far as I'm aware at least) JACO tool

I know the Hart tool is made with a steel body, which I'm a fan of. I'm also a fan of the mic setup on it. The Time Precision tool also has a mic, but I'm not sure if it has a steel body or an aluminum one. The size of the Hart cutter gives me the impression it would produce a smoother finish, and I figure on using shim stock/feeler gauges to set cutter height. Provided it would be possible to find the JACO tool, would it produce a high level of concentricity and a smooth finish?

I'm not interested in the K&M tool, the 21st Century tool, the Pumpkin, or the Sinclair tools. I'm considering a PMA, but am most interested in the three I listed. If anyone has experience they'd like to share along with some pictures, please post away or PM me.

Thanks.

Both of the first two tools are regularly available and the JACO can be had. I asked for experience and input, not snide remarks.

Why be different?

I like doing things my own way too, and I like fooling with equipment as much as I do shooting. However, having been semi-serious about several shooting disciplines for a few years now I'm pretty certain of one thing - unless you're a mechanical genius with your own first-rate machine shop, you're best off to buy what the winners are using and then work like crazy to use it better than they do. If you just enjoy being different, well, carry on, but don't expect to win much.

I'm only in it to enjoy myself. If I had the money to put a Monarch 10EE in my garage I'd be using that, but I retired from the Army and can't afford it right now.

Not being snide.....

And that's meant to be a useful observation, not a snide remark. Hope you don't take it that way.

No worries vtmarmot, I enjoy doing things the way I see fit, and the way I see it, tolerances and clean cuts are all that matter, not how you arrive there. End results are the key, not whose product you use to get there. Cheers, and send some of that weather down this way, I'm sick of running the air conditioner in January.

Do you plan to shoot long range bench rest? If i was going to by a neck turning tool i that is reasonable it would be a K&M they aren't that expensive, and do a good job……. jim

I don't know much about the tools you mentioned in your first post, but I've used several neck turning tools. After I got tired of swimming upstream backwards, I started using the Pumpkin by Don Neilson. Turn them once and you are done.

Later
Dave

No worries vtmarmot, I enjoy doing things the way I see fit, and the way I see it, tolerances and clean cuts are all that matter, not how you arrive there. End results are the key, not whose product you use to get there. Cheers, and send some of that weather down this way, I'm sick of running the air conditioner in January.

Actually, there is a little more to it including ease of operation and precision. The K&M and Pumpkin wouldn't be so widely used if they weren't better than the tools you mentioned. Most of the people who play this game learn fairly quickly what works and what doesn't. If you want to reinvent the wheel that's your business and you wouldn't be the first, but you are getting some good advice and you would do well to pay attention. But hey, it's your time and your $$, have fun.

Rick

I'm not trying to be combative here, but I specifically asked for input on three tools, and so far I'm getting only criticism for my curiosity. I've read several places that the JACO and Time Precision tools are excellent, and both will hold to the .0002". I've heard positives and negatives about every tool on the market, I'm asking about 3 specific tools, I appreciate the advice, but there are more ways to turn a case neck than the same tools that are currently en vogue. This is research. Thanks.

ETA, tolerances = precision. Ease of use is also subjective to the person using a tool. One person may find using a surface grinder to cut a radius on a locking lug to be simple, another may have no idea what a surface grinder is, let alone how to activate the chuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those tools you ask about are good ones...

They all work about the same and do the same thing. Find the cheapest one you can and start cuttin'.

Whether or not you need an even neck all around remains up for grabs. Get one and have fun while you still can. Sorry I don't have more info.

Both of the first two tools are regularly available and the JACO can be had. I asked for experience and input, not snide remarks.

Yeah, that was a snide remark. I guess what led me that way was how you stated that K&M, 21st Century,Pumpkin and Sinclair tools weren't worthy of your consideration. Those tools have been used by many shooters who achieved stellar results. Speedy Gonzalez had a briefcase full of pumpkins and his results stand by themselves.

Thanks Wilbur, I enjoy the process of reloading, and specifically ordered a tight neck reamer so I could neck turn cases. Ideally I'll get all three of them, and if anyone has a JACO they're willing to part with, by all means let me know.

Yeah, that was a snide remark. I guess what led me that way was how you stated that K&M, 21st Century,Pumpkin and Sinclair tools weren't worthy of your consideration. Those tools have been used by many shooters who achieved stellar results. Speedy Gonzalez had a briefcase full of pumpkins and his results stand by themselves.

I never said or implied they aren't worthy of my consideration, I've considered all of them and they each have features that don't appeal to me. Someone else's results are not mine, good for them, but I'm not trying to copy recipes here. I have an aversion to aluminum tools, it's a mental thing. I just far prefer steel, and more so I like to have measured and repeatable control over adjustments, regardless of the complexity of the operation.

I have six neckturning setups, one of them is the Time Precision setup. I use it under power, driving the case rather quickly, like 150-200rpms. I've re-ground the cutters to "my grind" which means I set them up to cut into the shoulder radius to a certain angle/depth and stop cutting. I set them up this way because I've had trouble with all other forms of stop. I use this cutter just like I use all the others, letting it rest in a bowl of tapwater.

The only complaint I've had and I went straight to Art with it, is that I had trouble finding sizing mandrels to fit the turning mandrels of this pertickler tool. I bought a selection of mandrels....I've since learned that this is a ubiquitous problem unless the turners are supplied with 'spander mandrels or are sized to the Sinclair stuff.

I have no opinion on the Hart or JACO as I've only used clones.
al

Al,

Were a body to mic the turning mandrel and have Wilson grind a corresponding mandrel to .0005 over be a reasonable way to go to avoid that problem?

Also, is the body of the Time turner steel or aluminum? Does the cutter leave an acceptably smooth finish? These were my only real concerns with it. The idea and practice of steel and carbide cutters and mandrels mated to an aluminum body makes me uneasy.

Thank you for your reply.

I had the Hart didn't like it. It would turn on a taper and was hard to adjust. Being made of steel it would hold heat a lot longer. I have the K&M and like it. The adjustments are very precise. When you turn brass you should turn it in steps and not take off too much at a time. I set up 3 cutters and do it in 3 passes. This also helps to keep the cutters cool because they have time to cool between passes. Matt

I published a "system" of neck turning, is based on two steps for the thickness of the neck, but the pilots are of the same diameter expander and get to the bottom of the cartridge case. I get to .001 mm. (one micron .......) tolerance.

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.i;);)t/2010/06/equipment-new-neck-turner-from-italy.html

Mario,

I just read through your article. I like the way you think. How possible is it to get the tools you use to the US? Feel free to PM or email me, james.cox.m@gmail.com

Cheers,

Jim

ETA: That is if you're offering your system for sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back