Adjustable stool

Seat material will likely crack...

Most of those types of seats have a covering material that cracks over time even when in a stable environment. I suspect using it outside would hasten that process. But for $19 not much is expected. Hard to beat the Sinclair stool if the height range fits you. It sure is tough and sturdy product!

Most of those types of seats have a covering material that cracks over time even when in a stable environment. I suspect using it outside would hasten that process. But for $19 not much is expected. Hard to beat the Sinclair stool if the height range fits you. It sure is tough and sturdy product!

yes they are, I only found two ranges they don't work at good. Both cases the bench is low, one because they have a 8" this top and it takes the knee room away, but it sure don't move....... Jim

I bought an inexpensive Drummer's Throne on Amazon, one with the clamped height adjustment and I hate it. If you only use one bench and height, then you can set a more positive stop and as long as you are not really heavy and don't bounce on it, it will hold you in position, but no where near as positive as one of the better ones with the threaded tube to make the adjustments with the locking multi-armed height adjustment nut and like the other poster said, they are thinner and less robust vinyl, which does not hold up.

I went to a Musical Instrument store, went into the drum section and tried a bunch before buying my new one. Waited for it to go on sale, as it was pretty pricey, but I love it.

Bob

Last edited:
yes they are, I only found two ranges they don't work at good. Both cases the bench is low, one because they have a 8" this top and it takes the knee room away, but it sure don't move....... Jim

I purchased hydraulic one through K M it was advertised as a masseuse stool and cos $50, in less than six months the bench started to get higher as the shoot progressed!

I then decided pay the money and get a good one. Drummer's throne http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pork-Pie-Ch...194464?hash=item282dfc3220:g:VIwAAOSwXYtYw0Is

Everyone that has tried it loves it.

Several points

For $20, how much can you lose if you need a stool. it is easy to find fault with most products but this thing looks like it will do the job. I have an expensive drummer's throne that I really like but at $20 each I could have half a dozen of these things and I bet I can shoot just as well on any of them. If we could buy the same chair for $20 that was made in Arizona, would it be any better? Remember the chicoms and their children have to eat too.

Concho Bill:)

When the hydraulics give up the ghost just put a hose clamp on it. When the seat material gives up the ghost, use duct tape....or duck tape...whichever you call it. It's just 20 bucks but I'm not sure about the height adjustment. May not work at all. I'm not gonna buy one 'cause I don't need it but I've seen folks sitting on less.

You can't beat a good Drummer's Throne with the course square threaded screw for adjustment. I have been using the same one since the mid '90's.

They are made to take a beating, so to speak.

Last edited:
I bought a drummers stool early on and didn't pay enough for it. I don't think it lasted a whole match. Kinda like that stool I posted....

Another option

I have a mechanic stool similar to what Wilbur shows. I use it in my shop. It also cost $19.95. I find it a bit smallish for range use.

At the range, I use a doctor's exam stool I bought off ebay for about $55.00. I put my own plywood platform on the bottom to hold stuff. It has a very thick cushion and a great range of height adjustment. I bought two more, I liked it so much. I use one in my mud room at home and one in my cube at work.

The platform is nice to help move quickly out of the way between relays. I put my rest on top, my rear bag and other stuff on the platform and wheel it out of the way.

adjustable stool

I have a manicure stool It's built like a piano stool. MY wife bought it at the beauty supply years ago.
Ive seen similar stolls but hydraulic in doctors exam rooms I think those would also work fine.

stool

for the last 7 years i have used a stool like that northern tool stool.

i ran a wire through the wheels so it did not move at the bench. it works fine.

For many years I used a secretaries chair with the back taken off. I bought it used from an office supply store for $5.00 and used it for several years in my small private office in my garage at my desk that I had built out of left over pieces from my shop. It later became my shooting stool for a few years. It worked fine until the foam started coming apart. I just didn't know any better.

Bill

I bought an inexpensive Drummer's Throne on Amazon, one with the clamped height adjustment and I hate it. If you only use one bench and height, then you can set a more positive stop and as long as you are not really heavy and don't bounce on it, it will hold you in position, but no where near as positive as one of the better ones with the threaded tube to make the adjustments with the locking multi-armed height adjustment nut and like the other poster said, they are thinner and less robust vinyl, which does not hold up.

I went to a Musical Instrument store, went into the drum section and tried a bunch before buying my new one. Waited for it to go on sale, as it was pretty pricey, but I love it.

Bob

Agree, I bought a ROc N Soc new and, while expensive and a bit cumbersome,I love it. One person made a suggestion I wish I had heard earlier. Look in pawn shops for the drummers thrones. You may find the good ones going cheap.

Don't Laugh,.....I found a plastic Shower Stool(Adjustable), at a garage sale, 17 years ago. Paid $5.00 for it. I bought it to use in my box deer stand.
Painted it camo. The Paint has since worn off.

It served a dual purpose. It worked great as an adjustable shooting stool. Its water proof. No fabric to wear out or tear. Its lightweight.

very sturdy. Will hold up to a 300lb shooter. It lasts forever. Medical supply stores sell these stools for about $25.00.

21ovhhs.jpg

Glenn

Last edited:
Shower Stool

That's a pretty good idea Glenn! Is it difficult to adjust?

Not at all difficult to adjust Wilbur. Easier than my much more expensive drummers throne.

As you can see, each leg is individually adjustable. The good thing thing is, it stands up to the elements very well.

Just keep all the screws tight so it doesn't wobble around.

Mine is 17 years old and I bought it used.

Glenn

Last edited:
I started using one of these a few years back. Best one I've found. Folds flat, very sturdy, stable, and comfortable. It adjusts by tilting the seat bottom up, which unlocks it. Just slide it where you want it and lower the seat back down and it locks in place very well. I believe they are made in Germany and has ample range of adjustment. Sorry for the poor pic.

shootingstool002_zps327458fe.jpg

Back