30br vs 6ppc

S

stevenorlando

Hello All!

Anyone from experience which is a better round for 100 and 200Y? Also shooting score?

Steve

Steve,
I hope the others don't come on here and crucify you for that question, as it has been asked a million times. Since I'm up late, and nothing to do, I'll chime in.
There is no question for group the 6PPC is King. But if you can only have 1 gun (which is the situation I am in) then 30BR makes perfect sense. I'll explain.

The benefit comes in score and ease of loading (tuning). That .308 hole covers a lot of territory when you are trying to hit that little dot. It is also a lot easier to tune. I actually preload my 30br, and have never changed the load since day 1. This might not be the norm, but it has worked for me. I feel like the gun will do it's part, if I just do mine. I have a Ronnie Long built 30br, so I know the gun is one of the best out there. I just have to take care of my part.

Now, over to group. While the 30BR is not "KNOWN" to be the best in group, it most certianly can post some good groups when you can read your wind flags. Here are two targets I have shot. The first is the group that helped me win the IBS Texas State match in 2010, and the second is actually 2 targets I shot just a few weeks ago in a club match. I have shot plenty of small .2's and a hand full of .1's in the 2 years I have been shooting.

20335255.png

23401758.png

With that said, The choice for me was easy. I do not load at the range, and with the 6PPC being so picky in the tuning area, the 30BR is a no brainer. Good luck in your quest, and feel free to message me if you want to know more about the 30BR. I could talk for hours about it.

Last edited:
Steve,
I hope the others don't come on here and crucify you for that question, as it has been asked a million times. Since I'm up late, and nothing to do, I'll chime in.
There is no question for group the 6PPC is King. But if you can only have 1 gun (which is the situation I am in) then 30BR makes perfect sense. I'll explain.

The benefit comes in score and ease of loading (tuning). That .308 hole covers a lot of territory when you are trying to hit that little dot. It is also a lot easier to tune. I actually preload my 30br, and have never changed the load since day 1. This might not be the norm, but it has worked for me. I feel like the gun will do it's part, if I just do mine. I have a Ronnie Long built 30br, so I know the gun is one of the best out there. I just have to take care of my part.

Now, over to group. While the 30BR is not "KNOWN" to be the best in group, it most certianly can post some good groups when you can read your wind flags. Here are two targets I have shot. The first is the group that helped me win the IBS Texas State match in 2010, and the second is actually 2 targets I shot just a few weeks ago in a club match. I have shot plenty of small .2's and a hand full of .1's in the 2 years I have been shooting.

20335255.png

23401758.png

With that said, The choice for me was easy. I do not load at the range, and with the 6PPC being so picky in the tuning area, the 30BR is a no brainer. Good luck in your quest, and feel free to message me if you want to know more about the 30BR. I could talk for hours about it.

Thanks very much! I saw a rifle in that caliber and not knowing anything about I went to 6bbr. The cartridge was praised very highly for it's loadability and use in score. Here on Long Island, most of the matches are for score. I liked the .308 when I used to shoot it as well.

Steve

Steve
For 100-200 yard BR

I am surprised you haven't read any of the 10 or 25 prevous threads regarding 6PPC and 30BR and also 6BR.

Here is what it comes down to.
6PPC and 30BR are both capable of shooting world and national championship groups.
It may be easier to do so wth the 6PPC because of less recoil.

The 30BR and 6PPC are capable of shooting championship scores in Score shooting competition.
The 30 BR has the very obvious adavantage at this because of the bigger bullet.

6BR is not highly regarded by many for either form of competition but is very capable and has done well at local and regional matches.

If you are going to shoot group it will be easier if you go with a 6 PPC. If you are going to shoot score it will be easier with 30BR.

If you are going to do both then just go with your emotions but stay away from .308 or any of the off the shelf cartridges. Then when you get to the point where you really know the game and the guns you can try anything you want. Heck maybe you will wan't to invent the 32PPC for score or something like that.

Ted

PS 6BR is very rare in score shooting so I am not sure who recomended it. But I doubt you got that recomendation from this board. Or at least no more than 1 or 2 people.

Last edited:
I know of one respected bullet die maker, and shooter who may have the opinion that a 6ppc is at no disadvantage at 200 yards while shooting score, and quite possibly an advantage, if there are any conditions at all. I may also feel this same way. Jury is still out. Lee

Steve
For 100-200 yard BR

I am surprised you haven't read any of the 10 or 25 prevous threads regarding 6PPC and 30BR and also 6BR.

Here is what it comes down to.
6PPC and 30BR are both capable of shooting world and national championship groups.
It may be easier to do so wth the 6PPC because of less recoil.

The 30BR and 6PPC are capable of shooting championship scores in Score shooting competition.
The 30 BR has the very obvious adavantage at this because of the bigger bullet.

6BR is not highly regarded by many for either form of competition but is very capable and has done well at local and regional matches.

If you are going to shoot group it will be easier if you go with a 6 PPC. If you are going to shoot score it will be easier with 30BR.

If you are going to do both then just go with your emotions but stay away from .308 or any of the off the shelf cartridges. Then when you get to the point where you really know the game and the guns you can try anything you want. Heck maybe you will wan't to invent the 32PPC for score or something like that.

Ted

PS 6BR is very rare in score shooting so I am not sure who recomended it. But I doubt you got that recomendation from this board. Or at least no more than 1 or 2 people.

Steve, I'm gonna' hafta really go against the grain here..... I'm known for dissenting opinions, questioning the status quo and gener'ly rousing the rabble with rhetoric in the interest of stimulating opinionated discussion.

This post creates a problem for me.

Most often I only come into a post when I see misinformation being posted, when folks come on with cash in hand asking "what should I do with my Franklins??" and I feel that they're being led down the rosy path. I've been in the dark, spent the money looking for direction and spent LOTS of money based on bad information. I've got an equipment graveyard the size of Jersey.

You've asked a good question, and this (handsome) man Ted has given an opinion.

Now I'll give mine.

LISSEN TO HIM!! :D:D:D

I think Ol' Deadly Tedly perty much nailed 'er down.... I'm wit' Ted (like it or not Ted :p)

fiatopinionby

al

From the info in just this thread, it appears a draw except for;
1) 30 cal has a larger footprint for score, and
2) the only other difference is recoil and it's control.
3) 30BR is less load sensitive.

I'm sure this is over simplified.

In another thread, Steve mentioned 10.5 lbs. That wrinkle shouldn't be lost. Another slight wrinkle is barrel life.

But as I said in the other thread...if you really want one and only one rifle for score and group, LV/Sporter and HV, a 10.5 lb 6PPC is going to be tough to beat.

You could go with a 10.5 6ppc with 308 bolt face. Then get a second barrel in 30br. You can also get 30br brass with turned downed rims from Ron Hoehn. That spec would allow you to be competitive in group and score. Recoil in a 30br 10.5 can be more than some "enjoy".

Too much recoil with a .30 BR in a 10.5 pound rifle? What does that say about those who shoot Hunter matches, which requires a 10-pound rifle? I remember the first time I shot my Hunter rifle (30x44, 127 grain bullets), and complained about the recoil to Randy Robinett. No sympathy, so I stopped complaining. Surprise, it got better.

The experience is helpful when you get the .338 bug in 1,000 yard Light Guns.

What about ease of tuning handloads for each?
Any brass prep problems or short life?

Steve,

Not trying to start a big debate, BUT if you want to shoot group go 6PPC. For score 30BR. 'Nuf said. A compromise rifle is just that.

Gee...if you had caliber neutral scoring in Score (sorry guys the devil made me do it) a 6 would suffice. :)

Jeff

Steve,

Not trying to start a big debate, BUT if you want to shoot group go 6PPC. For score 30BR. 'Nuf said. A compromise rifle is just that.

Gee...if you had caliber neutral scoring in Score (sorry guys the devil made me do it) a 6 would suffice. :)

Jeff

Jeff,

You should be ashamed. There is NO SUCH thing as caliber neutral scoring! You hit it or you don't. Bullet is NOT the issue.

Bring on the flames. But you had, 1) better be actively shooting score, and 2) be able to reason logically.

David

besides, "caliber neutral" takes away an integral element of the game. The way it is it's real racing, finding the balance between power and traction, weight and handling, size and recoil.

Advocating "caliber neutral" racing is kinda; like communism, or "fairness doctrine."

opinionby

al

Jeff,

You should be ashamed. There is NO SUCH thing as caliber neutral scoring! You hit it or you don't. Bullet is NOT the issue.

Bring on the flames. But you had, 1) better be actively shooting score, and 2) be able to reason logically.

David

But there are caliber neutral targets, and the 22's and 6's have held their own very well against the 30's on it. The man or woman that shoots best wins on it whether shooting a 22, a 6 or a 30. The smaller calibers are NOT at the disadvantage they have had to overcome on "old school" score targets. The target is the great equalizer...just bring your best shooting gun and shoot. And I'd love to hear what you and anyone else thinks about it...after having shot it in a match.;)

Mike

besides, "caliber neutral" takes away an integral element of the game. The way it is it's real racing, finding the balance between power and traction, weight and handling, size and recoil.

Advocating "caliber neutral" racing is kinda; like communism, or "fairness doctrine."

opinionby

al

Whatever brings

the shooters

to the matches,Al

--Mike

David, my point in raising the scoring issue is that to shoot both disciplines competitively on a regular basis you need two rifles or-at least-two barrels in different calibers. I wonder if match participation would increase for both disciplines if a guy could get away with one rifle.

Further, I am NOT crusading for a target that would not give an advantage to a larger diameter bullet. I have shot a 30BR in score competition, but not regularly. I respect the desires of the active score competitors. Although caliber neutral scoring in Score faired highly In last year's benchrest survey, the idea is less popular with many of the active shooters. And that is all I am going to say about that.

Jeff

Last edited:
Bullet Holes:

I helped out at a Cooper Shoot yesterday. The shoot was held in Augusta, Me.. There were shooters from all over the country there, the fartherst away from California. The big prize went to a lad shooting a 308 I believe. There was nothing said about bullet size by anyone. The 20's shot against the 30's and everything in between. It was all about the shooter. They all shot at the same size dot. Ties were broken by center to center measurement. There were a coupe of 6 PPC's there competing.

To win anything at these matche one must hit the dot sollidly. Some of those rifles shoot amazingly well. Oh, 5 windflags set @ 100 yds. all in one line. 2 minutes to shoot one record shot.

Last edited:
I think you will like your 6mmBR I started with that in score shooting, just so simple to reload and just a good round, you sound like your just wanting to have some fun as I did, one of the clubs I shoot at is very small rural area with 17 shooters most of the time the rules are no where near actual benchrest rules, do to most cannot afford the real deal, McMillin stocks, Bat actions etc, but have alot of factory guns that you are allowed to put a bettrer barrel on, but you cannot shoot a real benchrest flat bottom stock again income level, now if this sounds familiar in your area your good to go, one of the other clubs I belong to is 30 plus shooters and they got bucks and go by the official rules, 95 percent BAT actions and a variety of top name barrels and smiths, and all 30BR, and for group all 6ppc, so it depends who you are shooting against and what the club rules are, my 6mmBR Shilen barrel almost shoots as well as my 30BR Krieger at 200 yards, .181 on my 30 and .198 MOA 5 shot groups, my 30 is brand new only 60 rounds so I am still working with bullets and loads so far the BIB bullet has preformed best, I think my 30 will do even better then .181 at 200 not sure yet, I did not go with a BAT action I am on a fixed income and retired I got the Savage Target action and blue printed it I know I can compete with those that I will be shooting against that all have Bat actions, the shooter is a bigger part of the game. Good Luck and have a ball

Back