22 cleaning

Y

YIPPER

how often should i clean my 22 bench gun? do i use a brush? shooting target ammo

Cleaning your rifle should be regular but just how regular is up for grabs. Some clean after every target and it goes from there. As for use of the bronze brush, you simply screw it on tightly and pass it both ways through your barrel and bore guide with a good coating of solvent. Make several passes...whatever feels good to you. Speaking of feel...you'll "feel" that the first pass is a bit more difficult than the rest of the passes.

Kevin

Do you see any issue using a nylon brush instead of a bronze?

A nylon brush does exactly NOTHING, they are useless. If you are going to brush use a good bronze brush and when they get where they feel weak throw them away and get you a new one. I have found the best regimen is push a dry patch to get the loose crud out then brush with a good bronze brush at least 3 strokes(stroke = in and back) then two wet patches and a final dry one. I have tested almost every method and checked it with a bore scope and have found this regimen is the least to get by with that leaves my barrel completely clean. If you can try to push the brush ALMOST all the way out of the crown except the last 1/16 inch then pull it back this keeps the rod from falling down to the bore. This is what I do and seems to work very well, there are legion other methods.

Mike Cameron

thanks fellas; i appreciate the replies i still would like more input, this is my first time on this forum

My method I clean every time I shoot. First a dry patch then a nylon brush with Hoppes #9 on, ten forward and back strokes then another dry patch, finally a patch with a little Hoppes on then put it away. Dry patch before shooting again. I purchased my rifle new and had a smith check the barrel with a bore scope. a year later he checked it again for me, like new.

We all have our methods.
I happen to believe in not putting a tight fitting patch through the barrel for the initial clearing of the crud.
The feeling being holding the crud tightly against the barrel might not be good. No proof. Theory only.
I use Hoppes 1.25" square patches with a bit kroil. The Hoppes patches are loose fitting but tight enough to wipe the crud out.
Then use my own regime.
I would like to recommend the Bore Rider Barrel Care Products jag and extension. But see on his website that he is slowing down.
Using the extension in conjunction with the bronze brush allows the brush to be pushed clear of the barrel. The plastic extension is what contacts the barrel and not the rod.
Using the extension and the jag together allows the patch to clear the tuner with the extension remaining in contact with the barrel.

We all have our methods.
I happen to believe in not putting a tight fitting patch through the barrel for the initial clearing of the crud.
The feeling being holding the crud tightly against the barrel might not be good. No proof. Theory only.
I use Hoppes 1.25" square patches with a bit kroil. The Hoppes patches are loose fitting but tight enough to wipe the crud out.
Then use my own regime.
I would like to recommend the Bore Rider Barrel Care Products jag and extension. But see on his website that he is slowing down.
Using the extension in conjunction with the bronze brush allows the brush to be pushed clear of the barrel. The plastic extension is what contacts the barrel and not the rod.
Using the extension and the jag together allows the patch to clear the tuner with the extension remaining in contact with the barrel.

Likewise no tight patch. I had my rod and jag modified rod tapered at the jag end (see Photo) and use Brownells 7/8 square patches.

Attachments

• Cleaning-Rod.jpg
    Cleaning-Rod.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 445
  • Rod-with-Patch.jpg
    Rod-with-Patch.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 399
Yipper,

If your shooting target ammo, you must have a decent rifle. I clean my gun after every 100 rounds. Some shooters clean more often, some less. I certainly would not shoot more than 200 rounds before cleaning. The cleaning technique is up to you, as you can see, there are many thoughts on the subject. Hope this helped.

Bob

A nylon brush does exactly NOTHING, they are useless. If you are going to brush use a good bronze brush and when they get where they feel weak throw them away and get you a new one. I have found the best regimen is push a dry patch to get the loose crud out then brush with a good bronze brush at least 3 strokes(stroke = in and back) then two wet patches and a final dry one. I have tested almost every method and checked it with a bore scope and have found this regimen is the least to get by with that leaves my barrel completely clean. If you can try to push the brush ALMOST all the way out of the crown except the last 1/16 inch then pull it back this keeps the rod from falling down to the bore. This is what I do and seems to work very well, there are legion other methods.

Mike Cameron

Some shooters say "never pull a brush/jag back into the barrel thru the muzzle."

The seem to think it hurts the crown?? Others will use a brass brush ONCE and then pitch it..

Some shooters say "never pull a brush/jag back into the barrel thru the muzzle."

The seem to think it hurts the crown?? Others will use a brass brush ONCE and then pitch it..

Some shooters say you should clean with a racoon on your shoulder. Delete the internet shooters and watch what goes on at real live matches.

Last edited:
Some shooters say you should clean with a racoon on your shoulder. Delete the internet shooters and watch what goes on at real live matches.

Hi Tim,

Your post reminded me of a friend of mine. He has a workbench down in his basement where he services his guns. He decided to clean one of his guns and prepared to do so. As he did so he decided to smoke a cigar as he cleaned. A hot ember from his cigar fell and landed on his cleaning rag which after many years of use was soaked with solvent and oil. Well the rag caught fire and in the commotion of taking the burning rag to the slop sink, to douse it with water, his raccoon jumped off his shoulder onto the bench. As he returned to the bench, puffing on his cigar, he put the raccoon back on his shoulder. Sitting down he realized he had forgotten how far along he had gotten in his task and had to start all over again.
I post this story with tongue firmly in cheek.

Bob

Last edited:
Will a Parrot due as a raccoon substitute?

OK, So I have bought every recommended cleaning solution and material and all my old and new formula Hoppe's has been relegated to cleaning my shotguns only. Is that still the consensus? Is it different for RF BR as the projectiles are lead and not copper jacketed? I have not cleaned my new RF Bench Gun yet (Since I have not shot it yet!)

Bob

I clean after every range session. First at the range with a couple of passes of Kroil on patches, leaving it good and wet. Once home, a couple more Kroil patches and then the bronze brush. I follow that up with a one-way Kroil wet patch and a then switch to Hoppes. After the Kroil regimen, the Hoppes patches almost always come out looking as good as they went in, so not sure what it accomplishes, other than not having the Hoppes feel left out. I watched a video of a guy doing a lead buildup test of different solutions and decided to get a bottle of Hoppes Elite foaming bore cleaner. Not a well designed product if you clean from the breech. Wound up tossing the useless pump and just pouring some in a cap to wet the patches with. Like the Hoppes (post-Kroil), the Elite cleaner also comes out looking like it did nothing. Another bottle to add to my collection on the shelf. The only drawback about Kroil is no matter how many passes you take, the patch still comes out with some gray on it. I swear its rubbing off bore material. Seriously, I once demonstrated it for a guest and stopped at the 20th patch, which still came out with gray on it. Looking through the borescope, the bore was for all intent and purpose, immaculate, yet still with the gray. I have a sensitive nose and it took me a long time to build up a tolerance for the smell of Kroil. Not like, just tolerate. Now Hoppes, there's a smell I like. I like Kroil for both my rimfire and my centerfire jacketed bullets as well.

Hoot

Will a Parrot due as a raccoon substitute?

OK, So I have bought every recommended cleaning solution and material and all my old and new formula Hoppe's has been relegated to cleaning my shotguns only. Is that still the consensus? Is it different for RF BR as the projectiles are lead and not copper jacketed? I have not cleaned my new RF Bench Gun yet (Since I have not shot it yet!)

Bob

Yes, rimfire is different, which is why there are purpose made rimfire solvents to cut the usual waxy lube. Rimefire blend is hard to beat.

Last edited:
I "occassionally" run a patch or two thru my 22's.
Clean 'em too much and they take longer to
season/settle down.

I had pretty much the same belief when I entered rfbr, shooting mid level factory guns. But we're not talking about the ol' Mossberg here.
A wise man said "I can repeat clean, I can't repeat dirty"
Go to a sanctioned rfbr match & you'll understand what we're talking about.

Keith

Last edited:
I "occassionally" run a patch or two thru my 22's.
Clean 'em too much and they take longer to
season/settle down.

No friend, they do not.......unless of course you have a compromised bore from too little and/or improper cleaning.
This applies to match barrels since half the time these threads come up, somewhere down the line somebody finally announces he is talking about his Marlin shooting stingers.

i guess my "poor" clean technique is why i keep coming in 2nd.

Have no idea what you do or where you do it, however, if you go to any fairly important match you will witness most comprehensibly cleaning guns after every card, and rarely does it take more than 3-4 shots to have a bore ready.

Back