1000 yard range

dragman

What all would you like to see in and arround a 1000 or more yard range? Benches, clubhouse, food, on sight ammo and powder?? I have some property and I have been doing a little to much thinking if you know what I mean.

Good question.....Benches---20 at least.....clubhouse w/running water several toilits and SHOWER facility for those who are traveling....FOOD...yep ..and plenty of it...Roger

Good question.....Benches---20 at least.....clubhouse w/running water several toilits and SHOWER facility for those who are traveling....FOOD...yep ..and plenty of it...Roger

Thats kinda what I thought. I figured a large club house with good restroom facilitys and a kitchen for events would make a great range. Vending machines for the regular members. What about having a small shop there?? selling bullets, powder, primers, tools, etc.???

Lots of impact area behind the targets. Ideally, over a mile's worth. Either that, or a tall mountain. Either one helps keep bullets in the playground - which is far better than bullets in the downrange neighbor's house.

Lots of impact area behind the targets. Ideally, over a mile's worth. Either that, or a tall mountain. Either one helps keep bullets in the playground - which is far better than bullets in the downrange neighbor's house.
That is kind of a given. hahaha don't wanna be shooting at the neighbors.

It takes a lot of money to build a range, so if have money to burn, build a range. Visit the Williamsport 1000 yd. range and you will get an idea of
how much time and effort it takes just to run a 1000 yd. club. Contact Oneflyer (president of the Williamsport range), or Joe Salt, (past president) to
get an idea of how much is involved just to run a club - I doubt if you'll want to build one.

jack1k

The club I joined has almost all that has been mentioned. Except the two 1,000 yd. ranges ( one to be extended to 1 mile) do not have any benches and we have to use our own portable benches. It is 82 miles from my home though. I forgot to mention that there are two stocked abandoned quarry lakes. It sure would be nice if they had remote cameras to set up focussed on the targets so we could look at them while at our benches. This would be asking a lot though.

gt40

PS: Sorry guys my son fixed my computer and now I can't get into Photoshop to reduce the size of my photos so look here: :(

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=610501&highlight=

Last edited by a moderator:
It takes a lot of money to build a range, so if have money to burn, build a range. Visit the Williamsport 1000 yd. range and you will get an idea of
how much time and effort it takes just to run a 1000 yd. club. Contact Oneflyer (president of the Williamsport range), or Joe Salt, (past president) to
get an idea of how much is involved just to run a club - I doubt if you'll want to build one.

jack1k

Running and owning a company isn't something that I am worried about. It can't be any harder than some of the things I have already done lol. I don't wanna spend more than 500K but I already have the land so that may be possible.

500K-500,000.00 $-Five Hundred Thousand Dollars-a half a MILLION dollars...!!!!!! If I had that kinda money and my own land it wuld be VERY simple...build ONE bench ....build a lil' house down at the pits for the grounds keeper to live in while he manicures the premises ....put a concertina wire enclosure around the property ...and hire the Sweedish Bikini team to bring me my ammo,and take care of range dutys.....and keep evrybody else OUT....ahhahhaha...Roger

500K-500,000.00 $-Five Hundred Thousand Dollars-a half a MILLION dollars...!!!!!! If I had that kinda money and my own land it wuld be VERY simple...build ONE bench ....build a lil' house down at the pits for the grounds keeper to live in while he manicures the premises ....put a concertina wire enclosure around the property ...and hire the Sweedish Bikini team to bring me my ammo,and take care of range dutys.....and keep evrybody else OUT....ahhahhaha...Roger

HAHAHA, 500,000 doesn't go that far with building buildings and getting excavation done. but I am seriously considering making the move, but I want a unique range that people will really love

20 concrete benches on concrete pad with covered firing line, covered cleaning area for 100+ shooters behind firing line with areas for canapies and tents, PA system, large parking area for cars and RVs, club house with scoring room, computer room for relays and tabulations, small reloading area, multiple restrooms and showers (male and female). Add to that any sale items area.

Pits will add a lot more $ than what you are projecting but nice. Will require pit pullers though. Williamsport has the pits, go look at them and other clubs that do not have pits, such as White Horse and Harry Jones in WVA.

Vendor area for food, and covered eating area.

600 yard target berms, 1000 yard target berms and one mile

Beware that PA already has two 1K ranges (Williamsport and Reade), WVA has two (Harry Jones and White Horse) and a huge new complex with a 1K range called Peacekeepers opening this fall on border of VA and WVA just above Winchester which will be where the VA 1k club will shoot.

Your range schedule has to compete with those already existing ranges and basically the same field of shooters. That does not leave you a lot if you cannot work the weekends out right. You will have to affiliate with either (or both) the PA 1K (Williamsport for 1K) or the IBS (600 yd and 1k) to draw your shooters. You could run an IBS 1K match one weekend and maybe a PA 1K match the other under different rules and shooters.

No one sponsors 1 mile shoots so open for you to make the rules.

600 Yard matches are really open in that region though and many times a different bunch of shooters than the 1k crowd. That is an open demographic of shooters to jump start you.

If you build it, let a "club" run the matches and pay you a fee. Running the matches with all the whining, headaches and belly aching is a huge pain in the butt. Let someone else deal with those griefs. Range owners often make poor match operators. Too much personal involvement.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I would also talk with Tom Sarver out in Coschocton OH. He did his own 1,000 yd. range from scratch and had his hands full!
Rich De

Future of the 1,000yd game

If you do get up and running, there is alot of us that would like to see agg matches at 1,000yd. 2 or 3 targets your choice instead of the lucky 1. Bridgeville DE will be coming on line with their 1,000yd range. I'm glad to see that they were not influenced by anyone on how to run their matches. 1) they will be club matches only, 2) they will shoot the same format and target amount as the 600yd IBS match that they hold over the winter months. That's some shooting. So now when people drive from a far, they will get their money's worth of shooting and it won't be shoot 5 shots and hope to beat everyone in your relay just to shoot more LG. I always said, if you are able to shoot 2 regular matches a day, You can hold an agg match in one day.

Dragman your heart is in the right place, but if I were you I'd hold on to my 500,000 and go shoot at everyone of the 1000 yard ranges in the country!

Joe salt

Running and owning a company isn't something that I am worried about. It can't be any harder than some of the things I have already done lol. I don't wanna spend more than 500K but I already have the land so that may be possible.

your right not hard at all, but I ve killed 2 hobbies i loved because they became work and with that responsability and i had to deal with the public. In short, the fun went away. just a heads up. If you have the land, go get you a cat and an excavator (they are plenty cheap at the moment) and they are the coolest MAN toys. Build yourself a personal range first for yourself and some friends, THEN see if you want to expand it to an enterprise. Good luck either way and as the other guy said, your hearts in the right place and its cool youd build something everyone would enjoy. just hate to see you ruin it for yourself in the process.

your right not hard at all, but I ve killed 2 hobbies i loved because they became work and with that responsability and i had to deal with the public. In short, the fun went away. just a heads up. If you have the land, go get you a cat and an excavator (they are plenty cheap at the moment) and they are the coolest MAN toys. Build yourself a personal range first for yourself and some friends, THEN see if you want to expand it to an enterprise. Good luck either way and as the other guy said, your hearts in the right place and its cool youd build something everyone would enjoy. just hate to see you ruin it for yourself in the process.

This is the only reason that I am not 100% sure on doing it. I loved archery and did very well then made it a job and I could care less if I shoot anymore. I am still a little on the fence on which direction I am going.

Back