1000 yard range

This is the only reason that I am not 100% sure on doing it. I loved archery and did very well then made it a job and I could care less if I shoot anymore. I am still a little on the fence on which direction I am going.

yea, and the biggest bummer is the guy who was nice enough to build the sandbox usually doesnt get to play in it with the others when done on the scale your talking about. You build a small 4 bench or less range, Ill fly over and shoot with ya, even bring a really good bottle for the end of the day

yea, and the biggest bummer is the guy who was nice enough to build the sandbox usually doesnt get to play in it with the others when done on the scale your talking about. You build a small 4 bench or less range, Ill fly over and shoot with ya, even bring a really good bottle for the end of the day

That may just be a plan!

That's what I've done with my ranges for 20 yrs, kept 'em private, invitation only. I get hit on all the time to 'go public' especially now that we're holding Hunter Ed classes here at the place but it just ain't worth it!

Now be aware that either way there will be hard feelings.........

al

Al

You ever get anywhere with the underground/shipping can range?

Ethan

Al
Know any longshoremen at the port? They somehow KNOW where theres a few to be had.

Ethan

Ethan,

I've got one guy I've worked construction with for 20yrs who's been trying to get in for at least 15yrs. He's 'in' now, almost full time, but still an outsider...... so no, really no inside track.

al

I sure wish dragman lived In N.C.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - I'm assuming there are no 1000yd ranges in NC - I just moved here. I'm in the Southport area. Ye Old Gun Club has a 500 yarder so far that's the best I have found by googling...?:cool:

Thanks for the info - unfortunately I will be out of state during that time, maybe the next one ...?

How much land do you have? i'm in PA also and i'd like to speak to you

Hey dragman i'm on the other side of PA and I would like to talk to you.

yep,,,nuthin like being civilized and having som runnin water ....other than that mother nature is pourin down your back.....people dont like to travel clear across the nation and then sit in the woods.....I have been some places that were ill equiped and didnt care....it takes time to get a range complete and Im shure the folks at White Horse are working towards that end....I hear it was a roaring success....congratst to Todd...(hope he enjoys his new FORD --or was it Chevy??? ..truck..ahhaha)...Roger

Last edited:
What's with your plan. Are you really going to build a public range, or is this another pile of BS?

OK, I will throw my 2 cents in. If I was looking to do what your doing this is my thoughts on it. Most people that travel would like power hook ups, and running water. As far as the range goes, I would do fun matches, not all IBS/NBRSA rules. Piggy backing what Pa Mountain Boy pointed out, I like the 600 game better because I know I am going to shoot more than 1 target. The problem with sanctioned 1000 yard matchs is there is a posibility you could drive several hours to a match, and only shoot one target. I also say that you should set up the range to shoot both 600 and 1000 yards.

As far as having a shot on grounds that sells bullets, powder and such, I don't know how great of an idea that is. When I go to a match I usualy already have my ammo loaded, and don't need any componets. So thinks I like about St Louis benchrest club is they have a non-profit organization come in and serve hot food for lunch. (Heck, see if you can get a boy scout troop, or some ofther organization to run this.) They have a pop vending machine. They offer 28 benches, and relays go quick. They have an audio system, and it plays a cd of the range commands, it is loud enough to hear with muffs on, and it is simple, and explains the event. I would rather shoot at steel plates for sighters, than I would clay birds, and that is what they have there. I liked the idea of a gun show/swap meet, for people to buy sell and trad, even though it was a bust at St louis.

Something else with the IBS/NBRSA stuff, shooting for wood is great, but it is aways more fun to shoot for money. If you can keep cost down, and you would be able to collect a buck or two from each shooter, and offer some kind of payback, it dont have to be huge, but I little something. I love SE ohio 600 them guys put on one of the best matches around. They pay out 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place on both score, and group, they have a rule that you can not win both, so it gets more people in the running, they also pay out for closest to center. Something that a good friend of mine sugested at the 2010 600 yard IBS Nationals (and they did it) was to pay out for closest to the edge without DQing, that added some GREAT fun to it all. The main thing is to have fun, and attract some great shooters, as well as newbies. Something else I would offer is a factory class, it seems to do well at St Louis. It is a PIA to get sponcers, and to get products to give away, but if you can do it, it doese attract better shooters.

Williamsport rewards relay winners with cash payouts and then you get to shoot in a shoot off for more cash. We pay three places for both group and score and the payouts, based on the number of shooters, can be substantial. I believe last year we gave back almost $4000 in shoot off prizes. Come, shoot and see, only a few hours from West Central Ohio.

82Boy, Oneflyer is right. The WO is awesome. If you can make it go. I live in NWO, where is the SEO shoot?

Thanks!

Back