Zermatt Arms / Bighorn RimX

Itlbtu2

I have heard that the RimX actions have been shipping out, Has anyone got one together yet that can give a review? I am certain the quality is outstanding, just curious how they might be stacking up against the other actions being used.

Thanks!

Well if I had to guess, this action mostly intended for the PRS/NRL crowd so it would make sense to use a magazine like the Bergara or look like it's related to the Vudoo. It drops in to fit any 700 style action and has a magazine styled like any other centerfire 700 style action such as Manners PRS-TCS.

The RimX is very interesting action with some innovative features I've not seen before. They're produced at a plant just a few miles from where I often shoot at the Lincoln Izaac Walton range in Nebraska.

I'm not positive, but I don't think the RimX has much in common with the Voodoo regarding either the action itself or the magazines used. What they do have in common is that they're both tailored toward the same shooting disciplines.

If you go to the Sniper's Hide forum and do a search, you'll find quite a bit of info.

Landy

Right now there are 3 actions out in the wild that fit the rem 700 stock/chassis and are repeaters using an AICS mag....Vudoo, RimX and bergara......The cool thing is it's causing innovation to happen in the rimfire world again. Vudoo will have their new V22S out shortly that will fit the rem 700 stocks/chassis. Single feed your choice of bolt and port configurations, 60 Deg bolt throw, 6 O'clock firing pin and Flavo Fare trigger. There are other repeater actions made like the 2500XR that are non standard 700 foot print and use savage mags..We are living in time when 22 NRL22/PRS style guys are wanting BR accuracy out of there 22's. I have seen one RimX done by a Gunsmith Name Gregory Lee Gardner that is true ARA BR accurate. Should be a neat year for rimfire!

My stiller 2500xr fits my rem 700 stock. Shoots crazy good too. The magazines are certainly the weak point.
I also have the new Rimx. I chambered a barrel for it the day it came. I have been completely pleased with mine and it shoots crazy good. I’ll see if I can remember how to post pictures.
One last thing I’ll say. My stiller 2500xr has the smoothest bolt of any of the custom repeaters I’ve had in my shop. I wish someone would make a custom savage replacement magazine. The mags wear out and become liabilities. Lee
I can’t figure out the pictures. You can see my rifles on my Facebook. Gregory lee Gardner. Mattoon illinois

I have chambered four of these new rimx actions, they are very nice. these new action have a few features that the vudoo does not. Removable bolt head. you can buy bolt heads for 22LR 22mag, 17HMR and one other I think? This action also has a bayonet style takedown of the bolt, similar to a Bat. The magazines are very well made and quite a bit heavier than the vudoo magazine. This doesn't necessarily make it a better magazine but certainly a dam fine magazine .
The Long range 22 or NRL style of shooting has really become popular. I must admit I enjoy it myself.
My person Rimx action shoots every bit as good as my benchrest rifle. truly amazingly accurate. Great product and very simple to chamber for. No extractor cuts either, that's another great feature Lee

I have chambered four of these new rimx actions, they are very nice. these new action have a few features that the vudoo does not. Removable bolt head. you can buy bolt heads for 22LR 22mag, 17HMR and one other I think? This action also has a bayonet style takedown of the bolt, similar to a Bat. The magazines are very well made and quite a bit heavier than the vudoo magazine. This doesn't necessarily make it a better magazine but certainly a dam fine magazine .
The Long range 22 or NRL style of shooting has really become popular. I must admit I enjoy it myself.
My person Rimx action shoots every bit as good as my benchrest rifle. truly amazingly accurate. Great product and very simple to chamber for. No extractor cuts either, that's another great feature Lee

Lee,

Could you explain what you mean by chambered four of these actions.

TKH

I have put barrels on four of these actions in the last few weeks. One today in fact. Text me and I’ll send you some pictures.

I understand. I would have thought you would have said chambered barrels or fitted barrels to these actions.
That is what makes communicating in the forums so difficult. Everyone uses terms differently.
Thanks for the clarification.
TKH

Just chiming in here to clarify a few things as my company was mentioned. First, the bolt head of a Vudoo has always been "removable," as has been the case for the 40X and many other rimfire platforms. Second, the Gen 2 V-22 action (still two lug), completed mid last year, features a bolt assembly that is disassembled without tools via bayonet features (as is the case for the new three lug) along with the addition of the magnum cartridges added to the line. Very few people use a multi-caliber feature as has been illustrated with past platforms (Sako Quad, etc). The Vudoo aluminum magazines were completed mid last year and are now shipping in addition to our original injection molded magazine. I'll not speak to the reports of the extraction system other than to say there's a reason the extractor convention used in rimfire has been around for roughly 160 years.

MB

Last edited:

Lee,

I just watched this youtube video of this action. www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbHvx_EMXGo

When you fit the barrel to this action is the breech end completely flat or is it coned slightly? I can't tell from the video.

One other question can this action be loaded single shot by hand or does it have to be fed by the clip?

That bolt take down system looks really cool.

TKH

Last edited:
Tony my wife's Vudoo has a hybrid cone, just slightly flat with extractor cuts and Gen2 fire system. Mine is one of the first run Vudoo's and it a flat breech.

Lee,

I just watched this youtube video of this action. www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbHvx_EMXGo

When you fit the barrel to this action is the breech end completely flat or is it coned slightly? I can't tell from the video.

One other question can this action be loaded single shot by hand or does it have to be fed by the clip?

That bolt take down system looks really cool.

TKH

Tony, the breech print shows a .350" diameter that maintains a flat portion of the chamber face and beyond that, a 10 degree relief to a finished OD of .990".

MB

Tony, the breech print shows a .350" diameter that maintains a flat portion of the chamber face and beyond that, a 10 degree relief to a finished OD of .990".

MB

MB,

I was hoping Skeetlee would respond as he has first hand experience with this action.

Can you determine from reading the prints that the .350 chamber face portion is the only portion supporting the case head. What is the counter bore in the bolt face?

Does the extractor/ejector contact the cartridge case at battery?

Can this action be hand loaded or does it have to be clip fed?

TKH

Last edited:
Tony my wife's Vudoo has a hybrid cone, just slightly flat with extractor cuts and Gen2 fire system. Mine is one of the first run Vudoo's and it a flat breech.

Marks,

Thanks for the info but I think I need to see some detailed pics to really understand what has been done.

TKH

The RimX website says Specifications but list the features. A tenon print would give specifications for a possible build.

Marks,

Thanks for the info but I think I need to see some detailed pics to really understand what has been done.

TKH

Here ya go Tony....

77615-E49-77-F1-4-ED1-B4-EB-E0-CE5-A23-C358-1-201-a.jpg

MB

Last edited:
Back