your action pick TODAY

Two cents worth... shooting a rail well is more like shooting a bag gun than you might think. I've seen more matches lost because of shooting fast than I've seen won because someone could shoot faster. My Bat 3L top-loader nearly got kicked down the road when I bounced the gun at last years Nats on 2 shots (1 at a 100, and 1 at 200) and cost myself 4 HOF points. Yep -- I saw my condition, went fast, and didn't see it when I jacked the gun with the normal 3L 'slightly stiff' bolt lift. The lesson is this: Gun handling is critical -- even with a 60# rail. Don't be surprised if you see my old Powell sporting a well-worn Bat-B this year.

Rod

I would just get a standard R/L non ejector Panda and convert it to a drop port. It's not that difficult, just put a Sako Extractor on the bottom between the lugs and cut a slot in the bottom.

This is assuming Stiller is no longer making them. What's the word on that.

I have a drop port Diamonback on my rail.

Last edited:
I would just get a standard R/L non ejector Panda and convert it to a drop port. It's not that difficult, just put a Sako Extractor on the bottom between the lugs and cut a slot in the bottom.

Last word I got was Jerry was dealing with a big govt contract for tactical actions and his rimfire action leaving the centerfire benchrest actions on the back burner.

As it sits it looks as though this is my only option for a drop port, converting one myself. My plan right now is to do one on a 700 for practice, (mainly to get the spacing and hole size right) then decide on an action.

Some of the guys I've spoken with say "sure we'll do it" until it gets right to the wire then it's "well, Jerry did patent the process.....maybe better not" others just outright will not touch the idea, feeling that it's Jerry's property.

Dave, is that a spring eject or mechanical? Reason I ask is my RLR guns (including a BAT) all ding my necks....[/QU Are you sure the action is the problem? Spring eject. I have NEVER had a problem with dinged necks in a half dozen BATs I have owned.(all spring eject) I do not know if BAT makes a mechanical eject bolt. I have a Velcro pad on the base of the rail in case brass lands there. Dave

Ive never seen one ding the necks either. I got em from an sb to an m with a big top port thrown in and owned countless others and never seen a neck get dinged

Kelbly's has a top load in the in stock actions list
I wish someone would buy it. It's killing me I need one for the rail I got from you, Dusty

FYI drop ports are not slower at all. I build them on Pandas and Borden BRMs and have tried to run the bolt fast enough to catch the case before it drops, cant do it. Both Jim, and Ian will sell you a left port with a no eject/extract just add a mini 16 at 6 o-clock and cut the port. I am sure you could get one with no port and you could cut a top port if thats what you want. Nice thing is no ejector hole for brass flow. My top pick is the Borden for its fire control. Timed, well guided pin, and plenty of energy. Bat will make you a drop port if you ask so will Defiance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTSAiRZj_48

Last edited:
Make darn sure you never blow a case with those sako/m16 extractors on a left port. That is why Stiller used a remington extractor instead so there would be some steel cover before the port opening. You don't want a face full of high pressure gas or worse yet shrapnel.

Make darn sure you never blow a case with those sako/m16 extractors on a left port. That is why Stiller used a remington extractor instead so there would be some steel cover before the port opening. You don't want a face full of high pressure gas or worse yet shrapnel.

The way most of us shoot a rail, it would be more like a chest full of extractor.

I converted my LV Farley into a drop port, and yes, the Sako Extractor is uncovered. But it's a choice I made for myself. I like drop ports that much.

Last edited:
Bat Drop Port

My preference would be a Bat B 1.55" RB LP No ejector on the bolt with the Sako extractor in the 6 o`clock position. Bat will build it, all you have to do is cut the drop port yourself.
These are really slick, and do work. oh, and get it Melonited while you are at it.
my $.02

Jeff

My preference would be a Bat B 1.55" RB LP No ejector on the bolt with the Sako extractor in the 6 o`clock position. Bat will build it, all you have to do is cut the drop port yourself.
These are really slick, and do work. oh, and get it Melonited while you are at it.
my $.02

Jeff

I'm guessing you cut the port then send it off to MIMI yourself? The one time I tried to recrown a melonited bbl war'nt perty....

I'm guessing you cut the port then send it off to MIMI yourself? The one time I tried to recrown a melonited bbl war'nt perty....

To recrown a Melonited barrel takes a little extra. You can clamp a Dremel on your toolpost and cut a .005 groove around the barrel and then part it off. Crown as usual then.

RBLPRE Bat B 2" diameter for extra weight is what's on mine. Works for me. ;) Dave

This is the gun Dave used to set a couple of world records recently. I'd say it works pretty good for him. I have a sister to his rail with the smaller BAT model B with right eject. It has shot several ten shot ones in competition. Also doesn't ding brass.

Back