You think primers are HIGH now,

Travelor

just wait for Wall Street to get involved (and Obama regulating them),

Commodity Exchanges Commence Primers Trading

Major commodities exchanges announced that they would commence trading of cartridge primers and primer futures contracts, starting on April 2, 2009. This marks the first time that an ammunition component will be exchange-traded, alongside oil, gas, precious metals, and agricultural products. Federal, CCI, Remington, and Wolf primers will be listed on the NYMEX (N.Y. Mercantile Exchange), CME Group (Chicago Mercantile Exchange), and the USFE (U.S. Futures Exchange).

“Primers may be the pork-bellies of the future.” — V. DeMarco, Commodity Trader

The price of primers has skyrocketed in recent months, with Federal 205M primers rising from the mid-20 dollar mark to $60.00 per box (see chart). Price hikes have been driven by increased demand as Americans salt away large caches of primers in fear of future shortages. The demand for primers (half of American households have guns), combined with the volatility of bulk primer prices, convinced commodity exchange managers that it was time to start trading primers and primer futures. Vince DeMarco, a trader on the Chicago Mercantile Exhange, explained: “Primers may be the pork-bellies of the future. Demand is at an all-time high. With the ability to buy and sell primer futures, now investors can make money on price movements.” Leslie Woods, an analyst for Forbes magazine, noted that “We are seeing significant hoarding. People are buying primers by the hundreds of thousands, yet many purchasers have no intention of ever using all those primers. Many of the buyers are not even active shooters. They are clearly acquiring large stocks of primers for speculative purposes. Now, with primers being traded as commodities, these investors can maintain their stake in the primer market without actually holding physical inventory.”

Marcus Singleton, a V.P. with the N.Y. Mercantile Exchange (NYMEX) explained: “We should have done this (trade primers as commodities) years ago. More Americans buy primers than will ever buy gold or silver bullion. Primers are consummable, which means that there will always be a lag between supply and demand, which is what moves markets. And a moving market, whichever way it goes, makes money for the exchanges.” Singleton also noted: “Let’s face it, people don’t really want to have half a million primers stashed under their bed. That’s a potential fire hazard. And due to Haz Mat charges, large quantities of primers are very expensive to ship. For the small investor, concerned about rising primer prices, it’s much better to purchase primer futures contracts. That way he gets price protection in the long run and he doesn’t actually have to store anything.”

Thanks Travelor for this heads up on primers! :D

What is missing from your report is the meeting this morning of the the U. S. House Subcommittee for ATF Oversight. They are seeking a 75% "luxury tax" on all horded stores of military pull-down powder, especially 8000 series propellants (i.e. 8208!!). Be ever vigilant.

C. Moe

This looks quite sinister.

What better way for government forces to control guns than to control the ammo. Primers are the one component that is hard for the individual to make on his own. If primers are somehow bundled up into a package that can be either bought or nationalized by a controling government, there will be no way for the individual to ever get any more. Watch out for big brother.

Wow,

Greedy rich non-shooting wall street types with 100,000 primers under their bed and monkeying around with prices in the primer market! Excellent. Funny Madoff didnt think of this. I think I am starting to understand why the Bolsheviks treated the Czars the way they did.

Just what we need.:mad:

and this has nothing to do with april 1st.......

lol

wake upppppppppp

mike in co

April Fools' Day !!!

What a coincidence !!! :D Another group of fools ... this time ... gathering on April 1st. ;)

See today's (4/1) accurateshooter.com Daily Bulletin. Travelor's post is word for word.

Only You,

Can prevent higher prices, simple if you don't need them don't buy them don't let them think you'll pay whatever it takes to get them, free market.

These sellers that are listing them for $65.00 bucks a 1000 or more on gunbroker and other auction sites are making pretty good money, good for them (free market) but if all those auctions go unsold and there stuck with the 20,000 they bought well believe me they'll be thinking, what did I do, how am I going to get rid of these now?

Free market

Last edited:
I think this is an April Fool's joke.

I went to the website for NYMEX and CME (same site) and found no indication that they are doing anything with primers.

The other exchange mentioned in the article is the "U.S. Futures Exchange." If you go to its website you get this message: "Please note, the U.S. Futures Exchange, L.L.C. (“USFE”) has terminated all exchange operations effective December 31, 2008." See http://www.usfe.com.

Good Find

That website has some great April fools, last year it was the electric rail gun from Australia. The way it looks this could be this years.

Anyone know where I can get a smokeless flintlock with extremely fast lock time that will shoot 3600fps and .5moa?

Anyone know where I can get a smokeless flintlock with extremely fast lock time that will shoot 3600fps and .5moa?

Jaybic , call Clint maybe he'll build somthing up for ya.......He's pretty good with those old buggers;)

You think primers are high now

IM GUESSING AT THIS BUT I KNOW FOR SURE WINCHESTER HAS A GIANT CONTRACT FOR SMALL ARMS AMUNITION AWARDED JUST BEFORE OUR FORMER PRESIDENT LEFT OFFICE.
WE HAVE 2 BIG WARS GOING ON RIGHT NOW AND FEDERAL WAS LOADING FOR LAKE CITY ARSENAL. lAST REPORT I READ THEY ARE WORKING OVERTIME SUPPLYING SMALL ARMS AMMO.
THAT LEFT REMINGTON AND CCI. CCI IS PART OF THE SAME GROUP AS FEDERAL I BELIEVE. THAT LEAVES REMINGTON. . WOLF IS IMPORTED FROM EITHER RUSSIA OR KOREA. WE KNOW HOW THE STATE DEPARTMENT FOOLS WITH THOSE SHIPMENTS.
I DON'T BELIEVE ALL OF THIS AMMO IS FOR US FORCES.
I BET A LOT OF IT IS GOING TO THE POLICE AND FOREIGN ARMYS
[IRAQ] AFGANISTAN] WE PROBABLY SUPPLIED THEM WITH ARMS AND AMMUNITION ALSO. THAT PUT A HUGE PRESSURE ON COMPONENTS.
THERE IS ONE ALTERNATIVE THOUGH. EUROPE.
MAYBE WE SHOULD CHECK OUT RWS PRIMERS AND FIOCCHI.
THEY WILL COST MORE BUT IF THEY WORK THEY MAY WIND UP BEING MORE REASONABLE THEN CURRENT BRANDS WE USE
A FEW PHONE CALLS MAY BE WORTH A TRY.

Vincent DeMarco was the lobbyist for........

CeaseFire Maryland, an anti-gun group in Maryland before he morphed to trading. Maybe, I DON'T know, but maybe, could this could be an "April Fool's" joke that's for real.........???:D Maybe we should check this one out!!!:confused:

I bulked up last year when they were 17-22$/1000.

I paid 35$ for Federal SR this year. But, holding off any shoot-em ups until the prices/supply adjust.

What better way for government forces to control guns than to control the ammo. Primers are the one component that is hard for the individual to make on his own. If primers are somehow bundled up into a package that can be either bought or nationalized by a controling government, there will be no way for the individual to ever get any more. Watch out for big brother.

Larry hit the nail right on the head. If governments can't control firearms they'll get you on ammunition and components, they'll make it too expensive for us to enjoy our sports. I guess they forget who in hell their working for.

JonnyBender

Back