Xbr 8208

From Iceland

Gentelmen.

I am wondering about the burning rate of XBR 8208 as compared to VihtaVuori 133 and 135?

Thanks in advance,
Magnús Sigurðsson
Reykjavik
ICELAND

It's slower than 133 for sure.
Never shot any 135.

Probably a bit faster than V135. If there were a V134.25 it would be about there. It is considerably more predictable than V133. There were/are 5 lots of XBR8208 though. One lot would get you about 3465 fps max in a 6PPC, two of the slower lots would only get you about 3370 or so max with a 68g flatbase and a 21.5" barrel/

It is considerably more predictable than V133.

It's interesting you'd say that Jerry, being that you're from the humid land of N133 worshipers....but I'd agree with you very much! But we're probably in the minority on that one. Most folks around these parts turn green and start dry heaving at the very mention of XBR...................

Which 8208

I am just wondering if you guys are talking about the same 8208. Is the XBR the same powder as the ADI 8208 ? I have some ADI 8208 on order and will try it in the new rig when it becomes available here in Oz.
Andy.

Andy,

It's called BM8208...we've had it here in NSW for nearly a month...it's slightly slower then Benchmark 2...ADI say it's in between BM2 and AR2206H.

Steve

The very reason I am asking is this thread from the 600 -1000 forum:

"I had seen a few things out there that people were having mild success with the XBR 8208 in 6brs with 103-108g bullets and I'm curious if anyone is using it now.
I don't know if those few results I saw were with the early "test" versions of the XBR or with what actually came out. I know it was somewhat of a flop in the PPC
and short range game but was wondering if it was something worth looking at for the heavier 6s at longer range."

I always thought the XBR 8208 was "Probably a bit faster than V135. If there were a V134.25 it would be about there." as Mr. Sharrett wrote!!
So it took me by surprise that it was being used with 103 - 108 grain bullets.
I have a Dasher and have no use for VV135 in it with 105 - 107 grain bullets, VV 140, VV540 or even VV550 give me much better results.

Best regards,
Magnus Sigurdsson
Reykjavik
ICELAND
P.s. 62.6 Fahrenheit.

FWIW, I'm using XBR in a 1:10 6BR pushing the Berger 87 grain Hunting VLD. About 30.5 grains works great and seems mild. It has worked for some other folks that I've talked to about it.

I can't say anything about those heavier bullets.

I am just wondering if you guys are talking about the same 8208. Is the XBR the same powder as the ADI 8208 ? I have some ADI 8208 on order and will try it in the new rig when it becomes available here in Oz.
Andy.
Nope, none of them are exactly the same. XBR 8208 was made by ADI but every batch is some different. The XBR had at least 5 different lots and they all had somewhat different burning speeds; main reason-most powder manufacturers use a wood fiber for the cellulose source and pine needles are different from walnut stump wood which is different from wood mill chips, etc....

I must have the lot made with pine needles. Quite sappy in the bore.

Dear Mike A

Thank you, and all the others for their answers!

A new powder burning chart is always interesting, but I think this
ADI chart is in great error when it comes to the Norma 201 powder!
To say that VV-135, IMR 4895, Varget, and IMR 4064 are faster powders
than Norma 201 and 201 has similar burning rate as IMR 4320 is simply wrong!
We all remember in the early days of the 6PPC, the favorite load of some of
the best shooters in BR history was 29.5 grain Norma 201.
Shooters using this load included Seely Masker, Miles Hollister and Dick Maretzo
just to name a few.
This is (about) the same charge we are using in our 6PPC´s today using VV - 133!
29.5 ( +/- 0.3 ) grain 201 Norma is usually a very good load with 68 grain bullets.
The reasons it is not seen anymore in competition are in my opinion two:
1. Through the years the powder has not always been easy to find (in USA)
2. Very expensive compared to other powders used in this chambering.

Best wishes to all,
Magnus Sigurdsson
Reykjavik
ICELAND

Back