Ws2

brutal

G'Day,
I have been using WS2(Tungsten Disulfide) for 5 years with very good results, has anyone else tryed using it, last year i stop cleaning my rifle and shot it for 300 shots and couldn't see any change in the group size before cleaning at XMAS time ready for 2010 shooting,the barrel was a 28' MADDCO 1X14" twist 3grouve using Dyer HBC 155 grain bullets i find the WS2 stops powder fowling and very little metal and i think it improves the bullet BC because it has a Coefficient of Friction (COF) 0.03 dynamic;0.07 static Load bearing ability 400000psi, when i do clean i use a bronze brush dry and push from chamber end and take it off when it exits the barrel and repeat till no dust comes out of the barrel and then use a good metal fowling solvent i use only 3 patches and it clean and i use Tetra Gun Lubricant. Bruce

Same with Eddie
I clean alot more often, but never really found a point where it was necessary.
Just afraid that if I don't clean I might wind up with too much carbon & ruin a barrel. Always believed that carbon would kill em if nothing else.

Good to hear of another using WS2 without issue.

The carbon get blown out of the barrel that's what i have found behind the bullet the WS2 wont let it adhere to the metal surface because it is coated in WS2 and it protects the throat area i am still using the seating bullet that i set up when the barrel was new and has had 2500 shot fired through it. Have a look at this web wwwlowerfriction.com/product-page.it does a Comparison on Molybdeum Disulfide and Tungsten Disulfide.PS i have just bought 10LB of the stuff because the A$ is high at present Bruce

There are 4 seperate and different things you're talking about here.
1. Carbon buildup
2. Throat burn-away
3. Friction
4. Copper fouling

For all I know, burned WS2 adds to #1
I'm gonna have to compare treated/untreated barrels at the same shot count to know. But I would probably also have to clean way less than I do for this test.
I hope you're right.

#2 & #3 won't change barrel life with WS2 usage.
Barrels don't wear, so it's temperature/duration of gas flow through a throat that erodes the leade away.
I don't know of any latent heat taken away with WS2 -as with moly vaporizing.

Reduced copper fouling is a good thing. I'll credit WS2 with doing so greatly there.

And the best attribute for me, what led me to WS2, is that it's a perfect pre-fouler. I would use it just for that, even if nothing else.

Have been using the stuff for several years now and I ve about forgotten what copper fouling looks like. None of the rifles using it show any copper traces, even the Savage WSM that was started right on WS2 from the first. As reported cleaning is one of those things that has been given time off. The only times Ive seen any need to clean is if a hunter gets rained on or storage is going to be more than a week or so. Patches are much easier to pass and less crud seems to coming out when cleaning. Normal cleaning is just a few passes w/Kroil, and one dry patch to leave the bore damp w/kroil. After a 100 or so rounds Ill usually run a JB patch any clean upw/ Kroil or Breakfree. Havent shot anything more than a few 100 rounds but accuracy is still as good as start up.

Do you have any basis for it (adding barrel life) Brutal?
I ask because you're the first to imply anything like this.

Do you have any basis for it (adding barrel life) Brutal?
I ask because you're the first to imply anything like this.
Well as i said i am still using the same dummy rounds that i set up my seating dies that i made when the barrels were new and i never use jump all my bullets are seated when the bolt is closes with little or no neck tension.all barrels 3.308( 2)1X14"twist (1) 1X13" (1) .223Rem 1X8" (2) 6mmX47MM Lapua (1)1X7",(1) 1X8" all have had over 1500 rounds through them. WS2 reduces friction and insulate against hear so coating the chamber area in front of the bullet must reduce the amount of erosion, i haven't got a bore scope to have a good look at the inside of the barrels. Bruce

Back