Won't Ever Send COD again

HovisKM

NRA Life Member
Well, Sometimes you try to be flexible and it just comes back....

Sent a scope through USPS COD to an individual. Through out the sale of the scope, I kept getting an uneasy feeling about the whole thing. It started from the type of money order he wanted to pay with to having it shipped to him COD. Anyway, I finally said ok and shipped it the next day COD through the USPS. Well, he asked that I call him after I mailed it off. So, that evening I called and told him tha tI had mailed it and he said he had ordered a scope from Bruno's but would honor our agreement. After two weeks and no money, I called him back and he stated that he had never received the package so he went ahead and bought a scope from Bruno after it didn't come in (notice the difference in story here?). Anyway, I called USPS today and got the number of his local Post Office, they said that they have been trying to deliver the package and left one of their slips telling him to come to the post office to pick it up now since they were undable to deliver it a couple of times and he hasn't came by after a week of trying to contact. The stories just don't jive. Anyway, I have left him a message to go to the post office and refuse the package so that I can get my scope back. We'll see how that goes. Now I'm out COD and shipping fees.

Never again....

Hovis

well you are lucky to get your scope back! i know of an indiviual that sold a high priced racing car motor to a guy off ebay. the guy picked it up paid with a cashiers check. the sellers got worried called this bank and there was no bank!!! the seller was out 20k. ouch!!!!

your buyer has no honor too bad!!

bob

Kevin,
I have the other end of the spectrum going right now. Sent the guy 2 USPS money orders for a rifle and he sends the thing without anything in the package other than the gun and the FFL copy from MY transfer dealer. In the envelope I sent with the FFL and money orders was a sheet with some instructions that said "...include a copy of your DL so the FFL can process the transfer. Also put this sheet in the package so the FFL can call me when it comes in."

The knucklehead is off today and hasn't answered his phone or returned the calls.

Well, Sometimes you try to be flexible and it just comes back....

Sent a scope through USPS COD to an individual. Through out the sale of the scope, I kept getting an uneasy feeling about the whole thing. It started from the type of money order he wanted to pay with to having it shipped to him COD. Anyway, I finally said ok and shipped it the next day COD through the USPS. Well, he asked that I call him after I mailed it off. So, that evening I called and told him tha tI had mailed it and he said he had ordered a scope from Bruno's but would honor our agreement. After two weeks and no money, I called him back and he stated that he had never received the package so he went ahead and bought a scope from Bruno after it didn't come in (notice the difference in story here?). Anyway, I called USPS today and got the number of his local Post Office, they said that they have been trying to deliver the package and left one of their slips telling him to come to the post office to pick it up now since they were undable to deliver it a couple of times and he hasn't came by after a week of trying to contact. The stories just don't jive. Anyway, I have left him a message to go to the post office and refuse the package so that I can get my scope back. We'll see how that goes. Now I'm out COD and shipping fees.

Never again....

Hovis
Hey Hovis ,

The bad news is , you are right you will lose your shipping and COD fees but the good news is you will get your scope back. He only has 10 days to respond to the COD notice , at which time your scope will start its journey back home. I agree with the other poster, put his name on here and you just might save someone else from the same guy . CS

sorry to hear of your mess Kevin. you try to help a fella out and they crap on ya! I guess theres all kinds out there. Hope it works out!! Lee

I can tell you Kevin is an honest person and I don't doubt his story. I sold him some powder last year, he sent the money to me, but due to shipping issues, we just waited until we could meet at a match. It had to have been 6 months for it to happen, but we finally "closed" the deal. Most people in this shooting community are honest, but I guess there are bad apples here and there.

Hi guys,

I'm not going to list his name because it was just a bad transaction and I don't really think he was out to screw me or anything. He seemed that he really didn't know what he wanted to do in the first place and when he said he wanted it, I should have told him to think it over so more and I would hold it for a couple of days for him. The USPS waits 30 days before shipping the scope back.

Anyway, I've been sick for the last couple of weeks and need to throw myself on the knife also, I have a couple of people that are waiting on items and just couldn't pack them (laying in bed most of time trying to hack my lungs up), anyway, I got ready to pack them last friday and realized my shipping boxes hadn't arrived yet so I hope they come in tomorrow and I can get their items on the way (sorry guys, hope you see this and accept my appology, it's all my fault). And it don't stop there. Had a couple of guys buy things, one didn't like them once they came in so I sent him his money back and another I sold a couple of triggers and for some odd reason, one of them didn't work right so I sent him another. So it's been a rough month so I don't hold anything against this gentlemen. I'll just handle it different in the future.

I have been very lucky and really appreciate all the fine people in benchrest. Thank you all so much.

Hovis

My deal also got worked out with a bit of ingenuity. I had the guy take a pic of his DL with his Blackberry and email it to me. I printed it out [ 8.5x11 :rofl: ] and took it to my transfer dealer and got it all handled Saturday afternoon. Wasn't going to take the gun to the range until next week anyway.

When you give your word to somebody, you keep it. Simply put; the guy welched. I wouldn't be worried about protecting his name. Yea, maybe I'd consider keeping his name under covers too.....until I made sure that I got my scope back. Then I'd return the disservice by letting his name be known on the forums or anywhere else the topic arose. It was irresponsible and selfish what he did to you.

You know in today's vast state of internet commerce........I almost completely forgot about the existance of old fashioned C.O.D. I've personally been involved in as many C.O.D transactions, as the number of escrow services I've used; ZERO! If I am that uncomfortable or unsure about a deal so that the item being bought or sold can't be "paid in full" right up front, then I don't get involved. Sorry you got burned. But thankfully you'll get your scope back and probably have been seasoned now with who or what NOT to mess with nex time.

Hey Kevin...
Any chance I could get my money back on that tempermental Grizzly I bought from you last month?
:)

Mark,

I wish all my guns were as tempermental as that one.... I'm prettty sure I sold you the wrong tempermental gun, the one you got was a guy, the one I have is a full blown PMS woman.

Hovis

This is a little long winded, but this made me think of a scam that was floating around last year on eBay and most likely will find it’s way anywhere there are items sold by individuals who take paypal or such.

After the deal is made, the buyer contacts the seller and asks to charge the shipping to their own account (many companies and eBay moguls have UPS Etc. accounts). The seller agrees. A shipping label arrives and the address matches the information on the deal.

Off goes the sold item. A short time later the seller is contacted by the buyer wanting to know what this paypal charge is for. The buyer was unaware they had purchased anything.
The seller tracks the package and finds it has been delivered. But not to the address on the shipping label.

A hacker altered the buyers’ eBay and paypal account just enough so the package was undeliverable and the contact info was no good. Then while the package is “floating” in the shippers system the hacker instigates a package intercept. An intercept allows the owner of the shipping label to redirect the package to a different location. This could happen since the hacker was the originator of the shipping. The delivery location is changed to someplace else and the package is delivered to the happy hands of the hacker.

The buyer with the hacked account didn’t actually buy anything. The seller sent out the goods in good faith. But the insurance for a lost package isn’t in the name of the seller or the buyer. And the package actually got delivered to the originator of the shipping label.
Who gets stuck with the bill for the lost goods? And who is going to try to track down a bogus address in another state? Meanwhile paypal locks the accounts till things are figured out.

Hopefully your deal is just a sour deal and you’ll get your scope back.
Best of luck,
Jeff

UPDATE:

Well, I couldn't reach the guy that had wanted to buy the scope but did leave a message saying that I needed him to call the post office or go there and refuse the package so I could get it back, I still don't have my scope. It's been 10 days since I left the message and the package is still sitting at the Post Office. At least it will just be a few more days and the PO will ship it back automatically.

Hovis

UPDATE:. At least it will just be a few more days and the PO will ship it back automatically.Hovis

With my PO there would be the very real option of them losing it in the black hole that has eaten a lot of my stuff. Even Delivery Confirmation can't keep this PO from losing stuff. And then when the sender doesn't put ins on the item [ although I sent extra money ] 40x RF bolt + the money are gone.

Kevin
The post office will attempt to deliver the item the day they receive it.If the cuistomer isn't home or doesn't have the right amount of money on hand or a check they bring it back to the office and leave him/her a form 3849 which is a little pink/orange colorred paper tel the customer the amounts due for cash and for a check.The post office usually doesnt make any more attempts to deliver the scope but will keep sending the buyer those little pink/orange form 3849s until the time is up then they will ship it back and you will have to sign for it.If you are not home they will leave you the same form and you can either request a redelivery or pick it up.

CRB
If you are having trouble receiving packages due to losses have the sender use Registered mail to get them to you.They shipped the Hope Diamond registered mail and it arrived safely.The packages are fully traceable as well including who signed for it at each seperation along its journey.Naturally this is a slower process but it will end any perceived problem.

Waterboy aka Lynn

Thought I would update the thread.

Well, I haven't got my scope back yet but expect it any day. It turns out the guy that stiffed me didn't even have the decency to let the post office know to send it back. I guess I shouldn't have expected any less since he lied to me a couple of times on the phone. He even had his wife on another line going along with what he was claiming (that he knew nothing of the scope and the post office had never tried to deliver it or send notices).

Oh Well.
Hovis

Back