Wind flags for practice.

I use the wicks dual vane that are made by Ray Hill and his son. They have an ad here in the classifieds on the second page under wind flags. They are offered with or without propellers. I use the ones without. I have had a set since before I started shooting sanctioned. They are very sensitive, fast reacting, and extremely popular. Ray also makes ball mounts for his flags so they can be mounted on a light stand and properly leveled. Last ones I got from him had levels mounted on the center piece. I run 5-6 depending on conditions. A good starting point is 4 flags. Too many when first starting out can give information overload. Best to be using them for more than practice as well.

Hope this helps.

I use the wicks dual vane that are made by Ray Hill and his son. They have an ad here in the classifieds on the second page under wind flags. They are offered with or without propellers. I use the ones without. I have had a set since before I started shooting sanctioned. They are very sensitive, fast reacting, and extremely popular. Ray also makes ball mounts for his flags so they can be mounted on a light stand and properly leveled. Last ones I got from him had levels mounted on the center piece. I run 5-6 depending on conditions. A good starting point is 4 flags. Too many when first starting out can give information overload. Best to be using them for more than practice as well.

Hope this helps.

Ray is the best, great to deal with.
Scott, you may want to throw in a couple of his that balance and bob up and down, don't need them often but at certain ranges and conditions where the wind has a vertical component they become invaluable.

Ray is the best, great to deal with.
Scott, you may want to throw in a couple of his that balance and bob up and down, don't need them often but at certain ranges and conditions where the wind has a vertical component they become invaluable.

Hey Tim, been using 2 of them since my second year. I ALWAYS have one first in line and try to set it so it catches the up-down wind coming off the canopy. The second is placed somewhere in the rest of the spread according to features that could disturb things up or down, usually a berm or depression in the surrounding topography. As both you and Todd know, while wind drives conditions, we really are not shooting the wind, but the conditions that happen at each venue caused by the wind, and other factors.

marks-a18138, the same wind at different venues can change your hold off, sometimes considerably. When you get your flags, shoot sighters to confirm what those flags are telling you. Once you have a condition figured out, then shoot for score. It's also best to have at least two conditions to shoot. Be patient, reading flags and judging hold off from what they are telling you takes a bit of time and practice. Todd, Tim, myself, and others will always help if you have questions. Just ask, and you'll get all the help you need!

Hey bud, second page in wind flags category there are 3 listings, Ray Hill's is the second one. Location city is Plainville. Ad lists "wicks style dual vane". If you have issues, PM me.

Here's his phone number 508-695-3373. Ray is up there in age, and he is in Massachusetts, hour difference than your time zone. As Tim said, great guy. When I bought my first flags from him, he spent a lot of time on the phone with me helping me out. He and his son have shot a lot of BR, mostly IR50/50 I believe. Tell him Scott Albury said hello. He'll remember, I just got an email from him the first of Feb.

Last edited:
You'er welcome brother. Best of luck with the venture! It's challenging, but that's what makes it fun!

Thank you doclu60 and Tim for suggesting Ray. He was a great guy to talk with and flags are ordered! He also gave me some free wind reading advise with his flags.

Hey bud, second page in wind flags category there are 3 listings, Ray Hill's is the second one. Location city is Plainville. Ad lists "wicks style dual vane". If you have issues, PM me.

Here's his phone number 508-695-3373. Ray is up there in age, and he is in Massachusetts, hour difference than your time zone. As Tim said, great guy. When I bought my first flags from him, he spent a lot of time on the phone with me helping me out. He and his son have shot a lot of BR, mostly IR50/50 I believe. Tell him Scott Albury said hello. He'll remember, I just got an email from him the first of Feb.

Ray and Bob are IR shooters out of Boston, we have shot together in state/regional champs matches in NY & Mass. a few times although Ray seems to have slowed down a bit these days.
Ray also makes a little bench mounted green laser to set flags which is pretty slick.

Back