Wind Bucker

D

Dewight

I've seen references to a rifles ability to shoot "through the wind." This sounds like an urban legand to me. If it isn't, does anyone have an explaination of what may make this so?

Such rifles are often called "hummers". They aren't impervious to wind but darn near it and you can't beat 'em unless you have one better - kinda like Pokemons.

No, nobody has an explanation - only theory, assumption and belief based on anecdotal occurrences. And.....No it's not an urban legend by a long shot.

DRY LAND IS NOT A MYTH!!!!!! When you get the perfect storm between barrel and ammo, you have done got yourself a Wind Bucker. Hooter's Gun No. 1 shot through anything from 0-10mph give or take. A great gun is only as great as the ammo that you feed it. HG1 could only deliver that kind of performance with good ammo.

DRY LAND IS NOT A MYTH!!!!!! When you get the perfect storm between barrel and ammo, you have done got yourself a Wind Bucker. Hooter's Gun No. 1 shot through anything from 0-10mph give or take. A great gun is only as great as the ammo that you feed it. HG1 could only deliver that kind of performance with good ammo.

What exactly makes good ammo good ammo? Is it the speed, the consistency of speed or the the consistency of the bullets. In CF there is a lot of emphesis put on the quality of bullets. Could this be a factor in good RF ammo as well?

What exactly makes good ammo good ammo? Is it the speed, the consistency of speed or the the consistency of the bullets. In CF there is a lot of emphesis put on the quality of bullets. Could this be a factor in good RF ammo as well?

You need to quit trying to compare Cf to RF Pete, there is just no comparison.What makes really good ammo is a combo of many things one is consistency of speed from one round to another.Another thing is if it sets the vibration pattern so perfect for that particular barrel that it has very little or no yaw it will fly straighter and hold off wind better.I think that the quality of the bullet itself is something that plays and another is seating depth consistency.Probably several other things too but that is enough.

You need to quit trying to compare Cf to RF Pete, there is just no comparison.What makes really good ammo is a combo of many things one is consistency of speed from one round to another.Another thing is if it sets the vibration pattern so perfect for that particular barrel that it has very little or no yaw it will fly straighter and hold off wind better.I think that the quality of the bullet itself is something that plays and another is seating depth consistency.Probably several other things too but that is enough.

Gee, these all sound exactly like what we pay attention to in centerfire, except:

Another thing is if it sets the vibration pattern so perfect for that particular barrel that it has very little or no yaw it will fly straighter and hold off wind better.
In-bore yaw (in CF) is taken to arise from (1) any CG offset in the bullet, perhaps (2) misalignment of the bullet as it starts down the bore, and (3) No one knows for sure. Vibration is not taken as a factor in in-bore yaw.

With all due respect Mike, ammo is ammo is ammo from my point of view. We don't have the ability to adjust the RF ammo is all. One thing we can do I think is the following:

I went through 6 boxes of the same lot of Match and checked the OAL from the front of the "driving band" to the butt of the case . Three full boxes plus 4 rounds fell into one length while two boxes plus 5 rounds fell into another .001 different. The remainder fell into other lengths, some .008 longer than the mean. I shot a box of the sorted ones at the last match I was in. Couldn't detect any difference but then it was a "Tough Day". I do think there may be something to be gained by sorting by length, however. I think the rounds that lock up tighter go to a different spot on the paper. It might be interesting to check some Red Box to see if it is closer in OAL's.

Last edited:
Pete, great ammo will shoot in the wind. Test it like this: take a few different lots of ammo out (when the wind is blowing 3-10mph and consistently) and start shooting groups. Look for the least amount of horizontal in the same wind condition. Then, start shooting at bulls on a IR or, similar card and see how far you get pushed away from your point of aim. The better the ammo is, the closer it is going to be to your point of aim.

For what it is worth, the people that I listen to for help in this game don't sort ammo, not at all. Take it and shoot it and see how it does in your guns, that is the only way to "sort" ammo. :)

Ammo=it shoots or it don't
Wind buckers or barrels=it shoots or it don't
It is just that simple from winning and loosing. That doesn't mean you will always win or always loose. It is what it is. When you can discern what the flags tell you 100% and take the holds you need to and win....It shot. If you are say 75% and miss more than the next 2 or 3 guys above you....blame it on you. If you know that your last gun and barrel shot awesome and won a few and you cannot seem to find the winners circle when you do your part.....better check your gun and ammo.

Carp

With all due respect Mike, ammo is ammo is ammo from my point of view. We don't have the ability to adjust the RF ammo is all. One thing we can do I think is the following:

I went through 6 boxes of the same lot of Match and checked the OAL from the front of the "driving band" to the butt of the case . Three full boxes plus 4 rounds fell into one length while two boxes plus 5 rounds fell into another .001 different. The remainder fell into other lengths, some .008 longer than the mean. I shot a box of the sorted ones at the last match I was in. Couldn't detect any difference but then it was a "Tough Day". I do think there may be something to be gained by sorting by length, however. I think the rounds that lock up tighter go to a different spot on the paper. It might be interesting to check some Red Box to see if it is closer in OAL's.

With all due respect Pete that may be why you dont win as much as you would like.If you shot more you would realize there is good ammo and bad, then there is awsome ammo,If you are shooting a lot you arent paying attention and there is no hope.BTW you are close on your measurement process but it is a bit different than the way you are doing, maybe one day I will fill you in.
P.S. I didnt mean any disrespect I was just informing in the last post, I guess in this one also.

For what it is worth, the people that I listen to for help in this game don't sort ammo, not at all. Take it and shoot it and see how it does in your guns, that is the only way to "sort" ammo. :)

As I have said before one of my shooting pals sorts ammo. He wins more than most. I thought he just sorted by rim depth, turns out he sorts by depth and weight.

But we can't afford to shoot red box or X-act, and I don't have the patience to sort.

Good point Pete. I think the answer to your question is yes. But as a whole not as individual components.

What makes really good ammo is a combo of many things one is consistency of speed from one round to another.Another thing is if it sets the vibration pattern so perfect for that particular barrel that it has very little or no yaw it will fly straighter and hold off wind better.I think that the quality of the bullet itself is something that plays and another is seating depth consistency.Probably several other things too but that is enough.

Good point Mike. Consistency is the key. Repeatability within tight performance parameters. Starting with ignition and just going forward.

With all due respect Pete that may be why you dont win as much as you would like.If you shot more you would realize there is good ammo and bad, then there is awsome ammo,If you are shooting a lot you arent paying attention and there is no hope.BTW you are close on your measurement process but it is a bit different than the way you are doing, maybe one day I will fill you in.
P.S. I didnt mean any disrespect I was just informing in the last post, I guess in this one also.

Mike, There has to be a reason why some ammo works better than others. That is why I am curious as to rather or not the resaon or reasons why can be discovered is all. I happen to like probing around for reasons is all. There is a reason for everything.

I happen to know a guy who sorted a bunch of Wolf last winter and did quite well with it having shot some 250' etc. Now, while I won't do that I don't think it hurts anything to try to find out why. I have some good ammo that works. I want to wring out every bit of accuracy I can from it if it is possible is all. As to winning, The best of everything could not assure I would win as much as I want. It's pretty hard to fix stupid ya know :) .

Last edited:
Another thing is if it sets the vibration pattern so perfect for that particular barrel that it has very little or no yaw it will fly straighter and hold off wind better.
A big thumbs up for this...

Back