Wichita Model 048?

A

aaronraad

I'm looking at a Wichita 6mm PPC at the moment described as a Model 048?

Anyone with some personal experience or background on this particular model?

Aaron, Model # doesn't sound right, I think they were 1375 & 1210 unless this was one of there bolt pistol action...I just went to dinner with the current owner of Wichita arms I can call and ask him..

I'm guessing that's the serial #. I have a Wichita in the safe and I'm thinking my serial # is in the 40's as well. In answer to the OP's question, it would depend on the price. They are very solid actions and lock up like a bank vault. But you can forget speed. I would not want to pay over $500 for the action. The total price would hing on the condition of the stock, what brand of trigger,mileage on the barrel and intended use. You could kill a lot of prairie dogs, maybe win a club level match, but you won't win the Super Shoot with a Wichita. As I say, I have one with a 223 bolt face and love it, but I know what it is.

Rick

If I remember correctly the 1375 was massive, working the bolt was like shoving a log around, A VERY ACCUATE LOG, but never the less. Now which one, or model number was the one where you pulled the bolt out every time to reload? I believe it was called the mini-action. I believe you are reading the serial number of the gun, could be wrong!!

Aaron, O.K. just got off phone with Tim. He said there are no model 048 probably serial # but there was a mk. 40 pistol action made. best to check wichitaarms.com....George p.s. the old extracters were phosphorous bronze they changed to steel later on

I'm guessing that's the serial #. I have a Wichita in the safe and I'm thinking my serial # is in the 40's as well. In answer to the OP's question, it would depend on the price. They are very solid actions and lock up like a bank vault. But you can forget speed. I would not want to pay over $500 for the action. The total price would hing on the condition of the stock, what brand of trigger,mileage on the barrel and intended use. You could kill a lot of prairie dogs, maybe win a club level match, but you won't win the Super Shoot with a Wichita. As I say, I have one with a 223 bolt face and love it, but I know what it is.

Rick

I don't mean to quibble, just curious. Didn't Tony Boyer shoot a Wichita? If so, there may have been a Super Shoot win for Wichita at some point.

The standard Wichita has a heavy bolt lift, but it can be considerably reduced by modifying the spring and ramp. It has larger lugs than a BAT, which provides more bearing area. The sliding extractor also doesn't weaken the bolt head as much as the Sako type. (Can you tell I like them, too?:)) If one were so inclined, adding a roller on the cocking piece I think could make an old Wichita as smooth as any other 3-lug. It would be a unique and, I think, competitive action.

Cheers,
Keith

I don't mean to quibble, just curious. Didn't Tony Boyer shoot a Wichita? If so, there may have been a Super Shoot win for Wichita at some point.

The standard Wichita has a heavy bolt lift, but it can be considerably reduced by modifying the spring and ramp. It has larger lugs than a BAT, which provides more bearing area. The sliding extractor also doesn't weaken the bolt head as much as the Sako type. (Can you tell I like them, too?:)) If one were so inclined, adding a roller on the cocking piece I think could make an old Wichita as smooth as any other 3-lug. It would be a unique and, I think, competitive action.

Cheers,
Keith

Good catch Keith :)
I should have clarified and said, "you won't win one today with a Wichita". I think that would stand scrutiny. But you should know that I like them as well. It's just not as fast as I would like.

Rick

If your range has more pickers than runners, due to local conditions, then speed is not much of an issue. I think that this is all about budget. Gary Ocock shot himself into the Hall of Fame (I am pretty sure) with a
Wichita, but that rifle has been retired for some time, and he is not what you would consider a runner. What I need is an action with a solenoid trigger lock connected to a flag sensor.

[/QUOTE] What I need is an action with a solenoid trigger lock connected to a flag sensor.[/QUOTE]
I am working on it!!!!!!! "NOT FOR ME" but for guys like you, EH!!!!!!!!!!:)

What I need is an action with a solenoid trigger lock connected to a flag sensor.[/QUOTE]
I am working on it!!!!!!! "NOT FOR ME" but for guys like you, EH!!!!!!!!!!:)[/QUOTE]

Does that mean that it won't even help you ?

I believe that Tony's rifle that is referred to is a HART-actioned HV, not a Wichita. Good shooting...James

Received some pics from the gun store today. The 048 looks more like the serial number.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
I want to be a Picker but I think F-Class will force me to be a Runner.

Attachments

• U-2014-04-04_09-21-28-AM6590498.JPG
    U-2014-04-04_09-21-28-AM6590498.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1
  • image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    19 KB · Views: 1
  • image (5).jpg
    image (5).jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1
  • image (6).jpg
    image (6).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1
  • image (7).jpg
    image (7).jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1
Tried posting some pics yesterday but they were waiting for approval or something?

I'll try again now.

Pics for the action from the gun store

attachment.php

attachment.php

Obviously they were quoting the digits from the bolt handle which should match the serial number.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I was hoping to be a Picker but I think F-Class will force me to be a Runner.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 801
  • image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    19 KB · Views: 769
  • image (5).jpg
    image (5).jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 928
  • image (6).jpg
    image (6).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 767
  • image (7).jpg
    image (7).jpg
    24 KB · Views: 759
Interesting thread.
In 1980 I was at Kelbly's with some other Aussies and Ron Hoehn put up an ad on the notice board for a brand new Wichita Mini - USD$200 if I remember - in 6PPC bolt face. I bought it on the spot of course.
Had it bolted to a cut rifled Atkinson (no relation) barrel, man was that outfit accurate!!!
I think it was serial number 047, but as our authorities required S/N's with letter and numbers, I had my initials and date of birth engraved on the side.
These were beautifully made actions and the only real drawback was that they were slow to operate as you had to pull the bolt out each time to reload.
I eventually sold it to fund another rifle back in 1987, and now wish that I had not, as it would make a great action for a varminting rifle in 22 PPC.

Brendan Atkinson
in South Australia

Back