Why the Kenworth bolt handles ?

Hal

What is the reason for adding the Kenworth knob to bolt handles ? It sure can't be for looks.

Hal

I guess until you've bellied down to an any-any match or tried to spot hits beyond 600yds it'll never make sense. For the average shooter Remchester bolthandles suffice :)

So having more weight in my bolt knob will make it easier to spot long range hits--OK, but I might have to shorten the
barrel, because It may be over weight. I'm not an average shooter, I only shoot once or twice a day, but Ive never felt
under gunned with my standard bolt handles. I do see lots of newbies with a $ 69.95 scope $ 9.95 rings and a $40 dollar
bolt handle. Thought it was just a trend , like video games

Most competition bolt handles are extended, not for weight but for facility..... I generally feel undergunned with standard bolt handles, my hand comes up and barely snags a standard 700, then turning the action over nearly hurls the rifle out of the rest..... and to maintain a lockup on a long shot while the reload goes 'flik-flak' like a karate chop....

Now if I were to reach up and leisurely GRASP the bolt hannle by it's two knurled operating surfaces..... it would prolly work as advertised

LOL!

al

IMO this is the best bolt handle / knob combo . The knob is alum so it's very light. The shaft is straight so it's placed correctly in relation to the trigger blade and it's at a right angle to the action centerline so the feel / grip of the knob is the same whether you are pulling the bolt knob up or rearward or pushing the knob forward and down. There is no knurling on the knob so your skin doesn't get roughed up by the end of 85 to 120 rounds that can be fired on a 2 yardage BR match. The largish diameter of the knob and the constant taper mean that there is lots of bearing area where your finger/web/thumb contact the knob which makes the thing comfortable to shoot for a long hot day.

You can cut down and thread the factory bolt knob to accept these PTG alloy knobs. I have one bolt I have done this to and it was well worth the effort. For a combo hunting and target rifle you can get a shorter knob that is sperical to use in the woods if you feel the need.

IMO you couldn't design a bolt handle/knob combo for target use that is worse than the std Rem 700 design. It's design is as much for aesthetics as for function. For a hunting rifle its a good usable setup but this IS a BR forum isn't it ?

As an aside, if your bolt is fighting you back then you need to work on the cocking ramp, the nose of the cocking piece and check the timing of the handoff. With some effort a 700 or 40X can have nearly the same smooth bolt lift and bolt closing effort as the custom actions. The short length of the factory bolt handle makes any mechanical problems even worse.

PTGboltssslugptgfpassyptgsingleshot.jpg

rem700Savageconversion.jpg

In Hatcher's Note Book. There is a test that Springfield Armory did on bolt handles in regards to weight, and lengh, and it's effect on accuracy. Makes interesting reading.

The video shows that with a properly detailed bolt assy you can open the bolt with your index finger and a flick of the wrist IF you have a suitable bolt knob. Much faster and less likely to end up fumbling the reload.

So George, does that oversized bolt knob bust you in the knuckles when you fire the rifle ?

I think yer makin it up.

I have heard of the saying that "He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn" but I didn't know people actually took that as a challenge

har har har

Bolt handle? I thought that was a stabilizer, like the one on my compound bow.
Does the heavy bolt knob hanging out there vibrate quite bit when the rifle is fired?

Butch,
With all due respect, I don't care what it looks like if it works better. Just remember, form follows funtion. A pretty rifle does not necessarily shoot good. Case in point, take a look at Jackies rifles.

Donald

Back