Who made this barrel?

Chomondely3

I inherited stainless .30 barrel from my father. It was made sometime before 1994, quite possibly in the late 60's or early 70's. The bore looks good, no rust. The barrel is 28 inches long and 1.25 inches in diameter. It is a straight cylinder, no taper, The muzzle is marked "muzzle" Between 9 and 9.5 lbs or so.
The base of the barrel is stamped as follows:
WG
1/11
and underneath that
There is a red paint mark on the base as well.
I tried to post a picture, but I could not figure it out.

1.Does the mark "WG" at the base end ring a bell with anyone?
2. What is the significance of the red mark?
3. Is this barrel, finished at 25 or 26 inches, too heavy to hang on a post-64 Winchester action? I have a target stock with a wide channel.
Thanks in advance for your wisdom,

Just a wild guess

I inherited stainless .30 barrel from my father. It was made sometime before 1994, quite possibly in the late 60's or early 70's. The bore looks good, no rust. The barrel is 28 inches long and 1.25 inches in diameter. It is a straight cylinder, no taper, The muzzle is marked "muzzle" Between 9 and 9.5 lbs or so.
The base of the barrel is stamped as follows:
WG
1/11
and underneath that
There is a red paint mark on the base as well.
I tried to post a picture, but I could not figure it out.

1.Does the mark "WG" at the base end ring a bell with anyone?
2. What is the significance of the red mark?
3. Is this barrel, finished at 25 or 26 inches, too heavy to hang on a post-64 Winchester action? I have a target stock with a wide channel.
Thanks in advance for your wisdom,

Cannot think of who WG may have been: it's probably a 1:11"twist (1/11) - easy enough to determine; .2989" bore diameter; .3076" groove Dia. RG

WG is West, Federal Rep. of Germany

OK

SOME'body got's to ask The Elephant's Question.... and April 1st is a week gone......either your tongue is so deeply in cheek that you're excavating yer chaw, or you're privy to some deeply held information.

What gives?

Weatherby did contract J.P. Sauer in West Germany to build Mark V rifles when the demand was more than they could handle during that time frame. Maybe it is one of their blanks from when they went to Howa in Japan because of costs, and they sold off the remaining West German supply. I'm speculating from is info.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weatherby

Back