Who has a 270 WSM that ?

Worker

That can shoot a 5 shot group ? My Mod 70 with its factory bbl heats up after 3 shots. It starts to throw the bullets. Is it the rough factory BBL is it to thin ? I wonder if I installed a heavier cut rifled BBL on it things would improve ? Rifle has a laminated stock ,after market bedding job. Once the BBL warms up it shoots like crap

I've got one, 700 Rem, hart built in 2000 or 2001 with sendero taper barrel, 26 in + brake, shoots like a house on fire, then I built one for a buddy, 700 Rem, hart 1.250 straight taper 29 1/2 to 30 in barrel, 3/4 -1 in @ 400 yards, both are bad fast whitetail medicine with 110 gr Sierra ProHunters

I've got one, 700 Rem, hart built in 2000 or 2001 with sendero taper barrel, 26 in + brake, shoots like a house on fire, then I built one for a buddy, 700 Rem, hart 1.250 straight taper 29 1/2 to 30 in barrel, 3/4 -1 in @ 400 yards, both are bad fast whitetail medicine with 110 gr Sierra ProHunters

David what is the diameter at the muzzle ? I wonder if i'm wasting money installing a BBL on a Mod 70 Classic ? I just want consistency

my hart built is .800 @ the muzzle, the one I built was 1.250,,,,,,,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

my mod 70 featherweight 270WSM shoots great if you give alot of time between shots. if you shoot a few fast, it starts to wander. i also have a savage model 12fvss (heavy factory barrel), i restocked and added a brake too, that will shoot good groups no matter how many rounds you fire. i personally believe a heavier barrel makes a difference when your burning that much powder.

Last edited:
I've had enough ,I sent the rifle to gun smith . Soon this rifle will be wearing a Krieger BBL in 7mm WSM

Hard to beat the 7wsm in my opinion.
162 gr AMAX is amazingly accurate in mine.

About five years ago Gerald Wright brought 270WSM Coyote and factory ammo to Hawks Ridge and shot it in Factory Class once. He got a 4.xx group and never shot it in another match. Said he didn't enjoy the recoil off the bench.

Worker,

There is a recent thread on low temp barrel stress relieving. My experience with that process is the same as Jay Cutright's, no improvement in anything except a new and remarkable ability for factory barrels to hold zero no matter how hot they get from multiple shots. If you're happy with what you have in your 270 WSM other than it walks shots with heat, you might be pleased with the results from having you barrel frozen. It sure is cheaper than a new barrel, etc.

Greg

Win mdl 70 Super Grade with MOA trigger does really well. Doesn't kick as much as my Parker Hale 7mm Mag with 140gr R22 loads. I use 130gr Accubond with IMR 4350 in the 270 WSM.

Back