Which rimfire ammo should I try next

doghunter

G'day from Oz.

I am not quite sure if this us the right place to ask this question but you blokes seem to have the experience.

I am currently shooting a nice little Russian 'Ishmash' biathlon .22. it is handy (sometimes winning) in club comps with Eley 'Tenex' but............

My usual supplier of 'Tenex' reports that none is available.

I have been offered:

RWS Rifle Match

Lapua Midas

Norma #1 match

RWS R 250

RWS Special Match

Here in Oz, most the above cost in excess of $20 a box. So it is important that I zero in on the best before I buy a case. I realise that .22's are fussy, but Tenex gives me 0.5" or better. Any ideas?

Regards from the land of the kangaroo

* Danny M *

Thanks for that. I shall give the Lapua a try. The little T-bolt Ishmash biathlon sure is a competitive .22 for it's price. It has a hammer forged barrel; quite unusual for a .22, but then I traced it's provenance to the Kalashnikov factory...........

* Danny M *

All match grade ammo must be lot tested. Yep, even Tenex. I have several lots of Team that shoot as well as my best lot of Tenex. It all depends on what your rifle likes. OTOH, I could not get any Lapua to group well. I did find one lot of Center-X that my 10/22 Kidd likes.

Norma # 1

I've never even heard of Norma No. 1 before this thread. I've not seen it available in the US. Anybody know anything about it? Is anybody shooting it or winning with it at any rimfire events?

I've never even heard of Norma No. 1 before this thread. I've not seen it available in the US. Anybody know anything about it? Is anybody shooting it or winning with it at any rimfire events?

G'day Bill.

When my local Australian Shop http://www.elks.com.au/ told me they were out of Tenex I asked what was available and they showed me a case of Norma # 1. I had never heard of it before either, but as their ammo is usually of good quality it might be worth a go. My army mate likes it in his .338 for 'hunting' in Afghanistan. He got a few bunnies btw.

* Danny M *

Norma is RWS in a Norma box. Some of the lots of Norma shot better than R50 but when Winchester Australia became the importer they didn't seem to want to sell to it shops and you don't see it much these day.

Peter

Back