Which rear bag?

VinceB

I've used a Bald Eagle bag sat on a suede doughnut for the last ten years without problem.

At last Saturday's shoot, somone dropped it and it split open, tearing the leather beyond repair. I was a bit shattered as I have the World Championships in France in August and no bag!

Since I bought the Bald Eagle, other makes have appeared - noteably the Edgewood and Protektor and I've seen a few Edgewood Gators at international matches.

OK guys - what's the latest thinking in back bags? Do Bald Eagle still do back bags? Do any top level shooters use the Edgewood Gator?

Thanks
Vince (UK)

Bald Eagle sold their business and the new owner currently not back in production.I have an all leather Bald Eagle Bag in great shape if you need it....it's yours for postage costs. I am using Edgewood's Gator bag currently with a Farley.

Hi Vince

For what it’s worth, I have bags from Edgewood and Protektor - they are both good quality and most importantly, I have placed well in matches with both. I have steered away from the Gator style bags only because I fly to a lot of matches and they are just too heavy to transport that way. I think the actual bag shape depends a lot on your shooting style, what and how you fill it, where you position the stock in it on the bench and also the stock itself, but I have found a rabbit ear Protektor on a bag stabiliser (donut bag) lets my stock track very well. I have a new Edgewood in the mail as we speak, and I hope that gives me at least the same tracking ability, if not better than the Protektor.

I have seen people shoot good aggs in competition off virtually every bag available, so I think it’s as open-ended as the many other variables in this sport.

Guys - thanks for the advice and thanks for the bag offer LHSmith - though I do prefer Cordura ears.

With the Edgewood Gator - do you prefer the large or small ears - my rifle is a BAT S in a Kelbly SPG stock.

Vince

go on www.edgebags.com and see if there is something you like, I am sure I or others can send one over if sinclairs or brunos, or kelbys does not have one in stock, jefferson

My Gator is the standard height version with short ears, however, I also have a tall Mini-Gator with the larger ears, and after much evaluation I prefer the Gator bag, but I use a rubber spacer to get it to work with the Farley for the ranges I shoot. One reason is the Gator has leather ears except for the cordura on the stock side, whereas the Mini-Gator has all- cordura ears.....the Gator ears holds it's shape much better. Another option offered is the "twist" on the ears so that the bag is out of the way for your shooting hand, but it may put it in interference with a coaxial handle. FWIW I use them with Robersons stocks, Bat "S" and a "MB"
Also, since Bald Eagle Precision and Protektor were located with-in a few miles of each other, I believe they might just be the same bag....pure speculation on my part.

I got one of Edgewood's prototype FrogBags at the NBRSA Nationals this past year. I have just shot off of it about 4 times and I LOVE the product. Sprinkle a bit of powdered Carnuba wax on it and it is slick and stable. It is the stablest bag I have ever used. Since they are officially in production I am going to have to get myself another...... :^)

Calvin

It depends on which stock you are using as to the bag design you need. For example on a Adamovich (sp?) style like the Leonard and McMillan Edge, consider the Protektor Dr. with medium Cordura ears, 3 stitch, and in a 3" heigth if you use something that goes low like a Farley front, or if something like a JJ (Joh Loh) get the 4" high. This is the most stable bag I have for the square bottom stocks.

The ears are 4" long and the bag is 8" long with a donut base. One thing about buying direct from Protektor vs going through someone else, they will custom make any modifications you want like a 3-stitch or 4-stitch, etc. They will make it in the bunny ears (about 1-1/8") mid ears (1-1/2" high) or rabbit ears (2-1/4" high). They will fill most with light, mixed, or heavy sand for another $2.50-$20 depending on the sand. (The heavy sand alone is about $20.)

And they will ship most custom configurations in about a week.

http://www.protektormodel.com/DrBag.htm

I have shot off Edgewood bags since Jack started to make them. I just got new bag last week called the Gary Sinclair version and it is the best yet . Jack only made a limited number and I think he has 2 left. I prefer a bag 3.5 in high and bunny ears. I am not a bag squeser - but the one mentioned above - frog bag is the best for that style

Back