Which Leupold 36 ???

Matt P

I'm looking for a second hand 36 power Leupold, which model would I have more hope finding a good one ??? The early non locking objective type, the later locking type with the tall turrets (only came in gloss I think ??) or the later BRD.
Thanks
Matt Paroz

Matt

Either the second model with the locking ring, or the BR-D would be supperior to the non locking ring model only in that they do have a locking ring. The internals, while a tad different in all of the models, are equally functional.

One thing about some of the locking ring models, they can have a lot of slack in the threads that make up the objective lens assy. That means you adjust it, but when you lock the ring, it goes out of adjusmemt. That simply means you have to get all of the slack out of that objective assy, sometimes it takes a little trialand error.

No matter which you buy, you can just send it to Leupold and they will check it out........jackie

Matt

The non-locking ring Leupold 36x works just fine. If you find one buy it. The parallax adjustment is easier to set on this model. My 36x non-locking ring has tall turrets.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited:
Older 36 Leu

Some of the older 36's will not focus down to 25 yds.....could be a problem on indoor 25 yd rimfire.

We have a bunch of 36x leupolds (pre BR-D). We sent some of them off to Jim Carstensen (JLC Precision) who put his version of the front locking ring on them. He had learned some of his scope working skills from Vic Swindlehurst, who used to do Scope work but has given that work up. Jim did a great job on the Scopes we sent him.

Paul

The non-locking ring Leupold 36x works just fine. If you find one buy it. The parallax adjustment is easier to set on this model. My 36x non-locking ring has tall turrets.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Agree with that one, mate. I have two Leupold 36x of approximately 1982 vintage that the late Peter Callan organised for me. They have both been back for a factory service once, and have never given a scrap of trouble since.

Brendan Atkinson

Back