Which lathe between the two?

Next time I'm buying stock, I'll include a chunk to make a better spider.

Also, I have to leave the rear cover off to use the spider, I am never comfortable with that.

I'm already missing 1 finger, (although not from my lathe) and I can't spare any more.

Ben

Just remember: Working with used lathes is a hobby in itself. Do you want to work on lathes or rifles. Either hobby is okay, but the former may preempt the latter.

Next time I'm buying stock, I'll include a chunk to make a better spider.

Also, I have to leave the rear cover off to use the spider, I am never comfortable with that.

I'm already missing 1 finger, (although not from my lathe) and I can't spare any more.

Ben

Can you expand your cover openning with a jigsaw, that is what I did with mine.

Going to buy a lathe and have it narrowed down to these two, which do you guys think will be better?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/16-x-40-3-Phase-Gunsmith-Metal-Lathe/G0509G

or

Precision Matthews 1340T

here is a picture

http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e163/wsanz/Lathe/New Lathe/?action=view&current=PM-1340TFront1.jpg

Any other suggestions? I have about $8000 to spend on a lathe w/DRO

and have another $3000 put aside for tooling to get me going. Thanks
======================================================
Eddie;

I am a pistolsmith..I do some rifle work, but not much.
I bought the 16X40 Grizzly at last years Shot Show where Gordy was displaying it. Took delivery in June. Installed an Accu-Rite 300S and I could not be happier. It's a great machine..Use it for almost everything...Bigger is better when it comes to machining. Give me a heavy machine any time. I just completed turning and grinding a .22 cal (O.D. finished at .318; X 5.750 long) barrel liner on it, and it was a breeze...
You can do small work on a big machine, but big work on a small one is tough..!!
If you look up the German Knuth Model V-Turn 410, I think you'll be surprised..

Good Luck

Jerry

Can you expand your cover openning with a jigsaw, that is what I did with mine.

I could modify it, I just haven't made it a priority. Like Fitch says...I probably should. Fingers don't grow back!

Generally, I'm very pleased with the machine and the work that has come off it.

Ben

======================================================
Eddie;

I am a pistolsmith..I do some rifle work, but not much.
I bought the 16X40 Grizzly at last years Shot Show where Gordy was displaying it. Took delivery in June. Installed an Accu-Rite 300S and I could not be happier. It's a great machine..Use it for almost everything...Bigger is better when it comes to machining. Give me a heavy machine any time. I just completed turning and grinding a .22 cal (O.D. finished at .318; X 5.750 long) barrel liner on it, and it was a breeze...
You can do small work on a big machine, but big work on a small one is tough..!!
If you look up the German Knuth Model V-Turn 410, I think you'll be surprised..

Good Luck

Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks for the link, very similar. I learned how to true up actions and chamber barrels on a larger Jet lathe and, the bigger machine was nice. I leaning very heavy toward the big Grizzly.

I could modify it, I just haven't made it a priority. Like Fitch says...I probably should. Fingers don't grow back!

Generally, I'm very pleased with the machine and the work that has come off it.

Ben

Gents,

I think you're talking about the hole in the cover that the outboard end of the spindle sticks out of. If so, another way to make said hole bigger is to clamp the cover on a mill, indicate the existing hole in, and bore it out. This is what I did with my new Acra lathe and it turned out neat as a pin. Rather than use a bolt on spider, I'm going to drill and tap my spindle for four bolts as far in as I can (towards the headstock) to facilitate setting up shorter barrels.

Justin

Gents,

I think you're talking about the hole in the cover that the outboard end of the spindle sticks out of. If so, another way to make said hole bigger is to clamp the cover on a mill, indicate the existing hole in, and bore it out. This is what I did with my new Acra lathe and it turned out neat as a pin. Rather than use a bolt on spider, I'm going to drill and tap my spindle for four bolts as far in as I can (towards the headstock) to facilitate setting up shorter barrels.

Justin
============================================================================================================
My new 16X40 Grizzly came with a guard that swings away while making the muzzle end adjustments, and locks closed with a knurled bolt while operating...the adjustment screws are completely enclosed...

Jerry

Jerry,

I've seen the pictures of your lathe, and the set up you talk about is pretty slick. My adjustment bolts will be set up the same way. I don't have the moveable guard like you do, but I will be able to run the machine with the rear cover on, thereby enclosing the screws.

Justin

Back