Which 6MM would you build

MRL

I have a 1/8 Twist Krieger and I am trying to decide what too chamber it in. Most of the shooting would be out to 500 Meters but would like to have the option of farther if the chance arose. I have narrowed it down to 4 6BR, 243, 6mmREM and a 6/284 I don't want to have to rent or buy a reamer and have access to these 4 which one would you chose and why?

MRL, There are many target shooters that also use the same gun(s) for hunting too.

Last edited by a moderator:
6BR burns 31 grains of powder and is extremely accurate at 2950 fps.
243 burns 10 more grains of powder and is accurate at 3100 fps
6mm Rem burns even more powder and is accurate at 3200 fps
6/284 burns 24 grains more powder and is accurate at 3400 fps
Waterboy

Lynn. I would have thought a 6BR would be in at 2830 fps and a Dasher at 2950 fps. I was never able to get 2950 in a 6BR, while my Dasher humms at 2950.
Go the Dasher

The calibers you listed would lead most to think it could be a hunting rifle

Dasher

My dilemma is whether to chamber my new 8 twist barrel in standard 6BR or Dasher for 500 BR matches. I think I understand how to make a false shoulder (not certain), but isn't this quite a hassle? For the difference in velocity, is a Dasher worth it???? Where can I find info on making the Dasher case?

Info

MRL & tenring,

Consider reading the following 2 links from the 6BR.com site.
http://www.6mmbr.com/6mmbr.html
http://www.6mmbr.com/6BRImproved01.html

Like the others, I would suggest a plain jane 6BR. You mention these are the reamers available. May sure you have a no-turn reamer (0.271 or 0.272" neck) with around 0.100" freebore for the 107 SMK and similar bullets. If you don't have that reamer, purchasing one is a minimal invest compared to the cost of your barrel and you get actually what your want.

Luck in your choice, Tim

I just read that I upset people by asking for a simple answer and by answering a question " this is BR central Target" I upset more folks. Well I will tell you what Sorry for bothering you guys, I was just looking for info from people who who claim to shoot long range BR. I have never regarded this site as a critter gitter site perhaps I should change that opinion. Those who answered the question Thank you very much I will consider the answers. those who found fault with the format of the question don't worry I won't bother you here or at a match again

Don't worry about anybody who is easily upset.People with short fuses who get upset easily are the easiest to beat at the range as all you have to do is re-upset them and watch there groups grow.
The 6BR will give you 2500 rounds of extremely good accuracy.Reloading dies of good quality are off the shelf items.Recoil in a lightgun is almost non-existant.You get 1800 rounds out of a keg of powder and the brass will last you 3 lifetimes.
All of the guns you have mentioned will and have won matches but the 6BR gives you the most accuracy for the buck and is the easiest to free-recoil.This means the world to a new shooter.
Waterboy

Another vote for straight 6BR. Did 0.269 ND for just a clean up pass on the brass. Low single digit ES is not too hard to achieve. They seem to do very well at 600 yard matches.

I have a 6BR Improved not a standard 6BR, and it will shoot .5" groups at 300yds w/107's. It will also work for 1000yd on a "lay down day" or a calm day. 2950fps is easy to get with a case full of Varget in a 30", w/1/8 tube.
Next I have a 243 Ackley Improved w/1/14 tube which is chambered for 80gr.Watson FB@ 3600fps w/H-4831sc, I shoot Nosler 55gr BT, w/H-414 @ 4372fps SMOKIN' the ES was only 38fps, 300yd ground hog disappears, POOF. Touch it off it's there before the boom quits, hog never felt a thing.
Now here is what can reach out for you:
6/284 Improved w/1/8 tube w/105-107's will do it all the way to 1000yds easy with a dose of H-4831sc 3600fps is the order of the day, BUT, speed without accuracy is pointless. Each of these are fine shooters, work up the load, seating depth, be safe. ENJOY!

Back