which 22 should i build?

C

ClintW

my gunsmith just ordered up the barrel but i'm not sure what i want to chamber it in. i want something pretty fast but i don't want to burn my barrel out in 500 rounds. i'm considering 22-250 AI or maybe a 22-6mm. which one of those would you guys suggest or are there any others that would be better. i am more concerned about how well it shoots than speed. any info would be greatly appreciated.
Clint W

If your planning on shooting light bullets then nothing more than the 22-250ai, if your planning on shooting 75-90 grain bullets I believe you would like the 22-6mm or the improved version, maybe even an improved swift. If your planning on shooting alot in rapid fire such as shooting prarie dogs then maybe the 223 or the 22 br. Only you know for sure what you are going to do with it. I have a 22-6mm imp. that I shoot 50 gr. bal. tips in(1-15" twist) this gun needs to be rebarreled or at least set back and rechambered cause the throat is shot out but it has close to 1000 rounds though it mostly shooting slow at yotes, targets,and a few small deer. If I rebarrel it , it will be a 22-6mm imp. witha 1-7" twist. By the way this gun is about 15 years old so I've been pleased with the life.
Glenn

The more powder you blow down the bore the faster it will wear out. If you want a rifle that will do what a .22-250 will with less powder and better accuracy you can't beat the .22 BR IMHO. If 50 gr bullets at 3750-3800 fps (26" 1 in 12 twist) isn't fast enough, then go for something bigger. The larger cases will do better with heavier bullets, but for accuracy out to 300 yards or so I'd go with the .22 BR.

The larger cases will give more velocity, but you'll use more powder to get it and the barrel will go sooner.

Depends on what you want to do with it. Barrels won't last very long shooting 22cal bullets out of a 6mm case. I have several 22-250AI's and barrel life is about the same as a std. 22-250. Velocity is 4100+ to well over 4200 with 50's and accuracy is excellent. I also have a couple 22BR's. It's a great cartridge.....excellent accuracy with velocity equal to the 22-250 with 50gr bullets using a lot less powder. Still, instead of that I'd say change the barrel order and go with a 6BR....it's unreal accurate and shoots 55 and 58gr. bullets as fast as a 22-250 shoots 50's. The accuracy range in my rifle is large, 3775 to well over 3900. Even 65's are doing 3650-3700 accurately. A 6mm bullet hits varmints harder than a 22. You want barrel life, the 6BR will last a long time. It's just an awfully good cartridge.

my gunsmith just ordered up the barrel but i'm not sure what i want to chamber it in. i want something pretty fast but i don't want to burn my barrel out in 500 rounds. i'm considering 22-250 AI or maybe a 22-6mm. which one of those would you guys suggest or are there any others that would be better. i am more concerned about how well it shoots than speed. any info would be greatly appreciated.
Clint W
Each barrel will only allow you to pour so-much powder out the barrel. It's just a matter of how fast you want to pour it. I have almost every 22 known to man. My favorite is the 223AI. If I shoot 40 grain bullets, I can run 4100 FPS. I can also shoot heavier stuff. The downside of the larger case, e.g. 22-250, is the heat. After eight rounds, it's hot. Heat destroys barrels. The 22BR doesn't heat up as fast, but it still does. Another advantage of the 223AI is that 223 brass is so darn cheap and you can find it anywhere. Forming is easy, just shoot a regular 223 and you're done.

The link below shows a 223 next to a 223AI.
223v223AI.jpg

thanks for the info. but i'm still not sure what i'll do yet. i am wanting to shoot lighter bullets (50 gr) and i have a feeling thats what i'll be shooting most of the time. this gun will be mostly for coyotes and prairie dogs. so does the 22-6mm burn up barrels faster than the 22-250 ai?

How much shooting per year will you do??

thanks for the info. but i'm still not sure what i'll do yet. i am wanting to shoot lighter bullets (50 gr) and i have a feeling thats what i'll be shooting most of the time. this gun will be mostly for coyotes and prairie dogs. so does the 22-6mm burn up barrels faster than the 22-250 ai?

...I would go with the swift hands down unless you are going to do A LOT of PD shooting.

If you are going to shoot it mostly for PD's then I would back it down to the .223. THe swift is King for yotes but not a good choice if you are going to put many rounds in one day.

22BR is good too.....22/6mm will burn up and wild cats are tough on the resale market.

I've also thought about building a straight .220 Russian for mid range gun.

Back