Where buy Weatherby's?

alinwa

oft dis'd member
I've been convinced to build a large rifle on a Weatherby action. None of my wholesale suppliers seems to carry them. Where is a good place to buy Weatherby rifles?

I'm an '07 FFL

al

have you looked around gunbroker? I'm sure youll have to buy a complete gun and tear one down and weatherby owners think theyre worth thousands!!! are you talking about one of the mk5 or whatever they are with the 196 locking lugs or whatever it is? good luck on building it up. figure out what you need and I'll keep my eye out.

338-378 using the biggest action they've got. "Accumark" ???? I think it does have a billion locking lugs.

At least they're on the front ;)

If I could come up with a larger case than that (125gr) excepting the silly CheyTac mess, I'd not have to do this!

LOL

al

My problem is that the most I can get out of a 338L case is 115gr capacity...... I'm looking for 130gr+

Weatherbys

a.matson.......... I googled 2 subjects....weatherbys and 338-378 caliber....a wealth of info is out there....
bill larson

You could always try the 505 Gibbs, makes the 416 Rigby look almost small.

Jim

You could get a stiller cheytac size action with whatever boltface you need. Itll be easy to chamber and fits in remington inlets without much fuss except the port and recoil lug area.

Google and problems.

re the "google" comment, I'll refrain from answering.

The problems with the Cheytac case are many and finding actions to fit the Cheytac is a challenge each and every time. I've chased them around the US more than once.....

The problem with the base .416 and Gibbs cases are they they are mfgd as low pressure cases. I've thoroughly explored the capabilities of the 338L case, have blown it up like a balloon, and while it's a beauty case, easy to make, maintain and shoot, I'm looking now for more energy. It's just too small. I've got one going out this week that's about the peak of the art. 280-300gr bullets at 2750-2800 fps in a short 10lb carry rifle that will hold 1/4moa in controlled conditions, 3/8moa in the field. Recoil is insignificant, I shoot it free recoil, so now I'm just wanting to push that envelope some more. As it sits this velocity will ethically take an elk at 1000+ HAS taken many elk. But the chunks just don't fly at that range, it doesn't knock them down. A Cheytac will knock them down....... if you can hit them!.....I want to see 3000fps in a 338.

A 50BMG will knock them down, and a hunk of the mountain with....but the gun weighs too much.

The problem with the 50BMG case is that most ACTIONS weigh more than the rifle I'm spec'ing and the lightest one on the planet (McMillan) is almost nine pound the ACTION....this is the only problem, weight.

I'm making a big 338 for the new Barnes bullets. More energy than the 338L, less weight than the 50BMG......and while I've kept abreast of the CheyTac mess it's just not a train I want to board. My next foray looks to be into blowing up the 378 Weatherby case, hoping for 132-135gr capacity in a STOUT case....

al

like I said a stiller action, remington footprint mostly in cheytac or lapua length, any boltface is but a phone call away. heres my take on the lapua- of course your mileage may vary and this isnt speculation its been done time and time again-

250gr SMK, 93 retumbo or rl25 is 2900fps (at my elevation on my range @250')

300 smk, 95gr retumbo or 92gr rl25 is 2875

250 scenar 97.5gr N570 is 2970

repeatable on any day in my gun but dont try these loads in any other gun they are warm. I cant see how anybody would need more energy than that. it'll break chains on a good gong and go thru a halfassed one at 1000

Ive never heard of anyone having anything but trouble out of a Weatherby case. I don't know if you can find one worth the money but, the TRGS Sako action is the way to go in my opinion. They call it the M995 action I believe, it is the same action as the TG42. Large three lug bolt, good trigger, but a poor recoil lug so they need the taper on the front of the action cut off and a Remington lug installed. Mine came as a 30-378 and I never fired a shot out of it, went to the 338 lap mag. Look into the TRGS or the 42 action I think its what you are looking for. If weight wasn't a problem you could talk to Mike at Anzio Iron, he makes some that have enough power, check out his web site. Ive shot matches with him at Manatee he's a good guy.

Eddie K is getting 3200 to 3250 in his 338-416 IMP. with 300 grain Sierras. I saw the chrono and seems he was using 120 something of 50 BMG. I can get 3100 out of my IMP with R33 with 106 grains and a 300 Berger. Now these are 36 inch barrels. I believe I could get more with my Lapua but stopped because I have the 300 grain elites and they nose slump around 3000 feet so I backed it down to 104 grains at 2993. It is also very accurate and have shot 4 inch 5 shot groups at 1000. Matt

Eddie K is getting 3200 to 3250 in his 338-416 IMP. with 300 grain Sierras. I saw the chrono and seems he was using 120 something of 50 BMG. I can get 3100 out of my IMP with R33 with 106 grains and a 300 Berger. Now these are 36 inch barrels. I believe I could get more with my Lapua but stopped because I have the 300 grain elites and they nose slump around 3000 feet so I backed it down to 104 grains at 2993. It is also very accurate and have shot 4 inch 5 shot groups at 1000. Matt

Sorry, I was unclear. I use 26" bbls....and only the new Barnes 280 as nothing else compares. Weight/BC/energy...... it wins on all fronts.

And doesn't slump.

BTW the guy I'm working on this for has killed nearly 200 elk, at least 8 of them last yr over 800yds. And he's fanatical about not losing animals. He missed one just last week, spent the rest of the day and next morning figuring out "why." Finally, in retracing the shot he located a tall, weathered tamarack post around 600yds out with an entry hole about 6" from the top and splinters out the roof, bullet went orbital......

He's used 338's, 375's, 408's, 416's and even the 50BMG.

The only two choices in his opinion and mine are 338 and 50, there are no useful bullets in between the two. Non-boutique that is.....

Never thought Id see a day where I could point Mr Al to something he may never have heard of:

http://www.blackdiamondrifles.com/375_Viersco_Magnum.html

See picture near middle of page for comparison to .338 Lapua. The case is around 20gr more than Cheytac IIRC. Its been a while since I kept up with the Viersco Magnum but I want to say the brass is based on .585 Nyati but with a bit higher pressures in mind. This thing is beast of a round.

Ive never heard of that case being necked down to .338 though..... however obviously theres no reason you couldnt. Bear in mind that this would be like darn near a .338-416 Barrett. 170 or 180gr H2O capacity or so. Maybe by shortening in up some you could fit to exactly what you want.

Back