What would you use for 600 yd competition?

JDMock

If I were to build a rifle for 600 yard BR, I would choose the following: Action; BAT MB RB/LP/RE or Panda F-class w/ same configuration Stock; Leonard long range Scope; NF 15-55X Competition or March 10X-80X w. MOA type reticle Load; Varget powder and 105 Bart VLD in a 6mm Dasher Barrel; Bartlein or Brux 8 twist. What would you choose?

Attachments

• SOTY day at Prince Range 004.JPG
    SOTY day at Prince Range 004.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 308
Last edited:
75 VIEWS AND NO COMMENTS,
i'd say you have made good choices.

I went Borden BRM Action - RB/LP/RE - Krieger HV Contour 1:8 Twist Barrel - Jewel Trigger - Tracker African Obeche Laminated Stock - Borden Trigger Guard - Borden Dove Tail Bases and 25 MOA Rings - NF 15x55 Competition Scope. Berger 130 VLDs over H4350. I use this for 600 / 800 and 1,000 yard shooting.

Bob

Last edited:
I chose the Borden BRM so I could remove an unfired 6.5x47L with up to a 140 grain projectile without removing the bolt and also use for a 6.5x284 or other longer cartridge in the future if I wanted to.

Attachments

• VISE RIGHT CRP RS II.jpg
    VISE RIGHT CRP RS II.jpg
    839.1 KB · Views: 409
I chose the Borden BRM so I could remove an unfired 6.5x47L with up to a 140 grain projectile without removing the bolt and also use for a 6.5x284 or other longer cartridge in the future if I wanted to.

Can I ask "who clearcoated your stock?"

Sure - Doyle Anglin at Dixie Guns in Winder Georgia did the stock work. doylebbang at windstram dot net. 706-654-8400.

Bob

Borden BRL 2 port. Wheeler Accuracy Deep Creek Tracker stock, Jewell, March 36-55 EPZ chambered in 6.5-06imp shooting Bob Cauterucio's 141's at 3150ish Broughton 5R......17lb gun.

Forgot the weight. With the 12x42 NF BR scope it was 2 ounces under 17 pounds. A little less now with the lighter 15x55 NF Competition scope.

Bob

What ever a action you like and what ever stock trips your trigger. B.nA. trigger A NXS scope if you can find one or wait for the new March HM. 10- 60. In a BR imp case, with a 105 class bullet. The issue is to put it together so it will track straight, when you pull it to the rear it stay in the X ring for at least an inch. jim

The place where I compete each month at 600yd BR is pretty low on the food chain, but we do get 15 or 18 experienced shooters most times. No ex Olympians or World Champions, but some of these guys are quite experienced.

I compete with a $300 used Savage 12 action and Accutrigger converted to 6mm BR Norma, a Shilen barrel, a $119 Boyd's stock, and an $800 used Burris scope.

That makes my gun the least expensive on the firing line; by a factor of four in a couple of instances. Yet I shoot smallest group or highest score more often than not. Sometimes I do both. It makes me smile but I'm sure some of my fellow competitors see my reaction as more of a smirk. :cool:

If I needed a new BR gun, I reckon I'd duplicate the one I have. At 72 years old I doubt if I'm going to a World Championship event any time soon. However, if I do, I'll be sure to buy a fancier gun first.

I hear ya Mozella, I am learning to enjoy building a gun out junk and having be the one of the most accurate on the line. I have a truck gun that I have about $300 in, A Trurk Mauser with a Montana rifleman barrel I got for $50, I bought a Hogue stock for it and had a Jard trigger from when I gave away a gun to a young Marine ( his dad said the trigger was too light for him to reinstall the Mauser trigger ) Burris signature rings and a 6x Leupold ( I got it for mounting a new scope and the owner gave me the one I took off ). It isn't the most accurate on the line but it shoots a ragged hole at 100yds. Most here would laugh at it but it will get the job done.

The place where I compete each month at 600yd BR is pretty low on the food chain, but we do get 15 or 18 experienced shooters most times. No ex Olympians or World Champions, but some of these guys are quite experienced.

I compete with a $300 used Savage 12 action and Accutrigger converted to 6mm BR Norma, a Shilen barrel, a $119 Boyd's stock, and an $800 used Burris scope.

That makes my gun the least expensive on the firing line; by a factor of four in a couple of instances. Yet I shoot smallest group or highest score more often than not. Sometimes I do both. It makes me smile but I'm sure some of my fellow competitors see my reaction as more of a smirk. :cool:

If I needed a new BR gun, I reckon I'd duplicate the one I have. At 72 years old I doubt if I'm going to a World Championship event any time soon. However, if I do, I'll be sure to buy a fancier gun first.

I can relate to your situation. I am 73 years old and have seen the Savage actions really shoot "lights out". Both in factory and custom classes. They are good, but at the range at which I shoot, they cannot compete with the BAT, Stolle, or Borden actions....at least they haven't so far. I have only shot 600 yard competition for 7 years or so and I already had a custom rifle in 6 6PPC for short range, but since it had a .308 sized bolt face, I just added a 6 Dasher barrel. The old BAT has been a great performer for me, but it may be time to ease out of competition. James

Some time back Kelbly's made some Six stocks that were solid graphite. 6.5# just the bare stick. I bought one, glued in a Panda, milled the barrel channel out to fit my rail gun barrels (1.350") kaboom. Weighs 17# with a 36x scope. Handles great. Chambered 6BR, shoots Berger 90BTs good enough to shoot UL/HB with.

600 yard equipment

Any good/smooth action that allows you to shoot quickly. My favorite at this time is a Bat M octagon 1.47" RBLPRE. Jewell or B&A triggers, heaviest custom barrel chambered in 6 Dasher or possibly the 6 Grinch ( custom size to maximize weight depending on weight of everything else) I can use, Benchmark barrel for now with .135" freebore chamber to get most out of case capacity with Vapor Trail 103s. ST-1000 stock with weight system and action glued in. I feel that a glued in action is important for a long term secure union of action and stock. Nightforce 12-42x56 BR scope. Actually any scope with at least 36 power that will hold point of aim with Kelbly rings and bases my favorite. Did I miss anything?

Last edited:
Back