What were competitors using 50 years ago?

James M.

I found this. PS- The 1965 equipment list was in an old PS Magazine. I also found some nostalgia in an old "Rifle" magazine showing the original HOF inductees. James Mock

Attachments

• 1965 nats 001.jpg
    1965 nats 001.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 730
  • Rifle Magazine 1972 Hall of Fame.pdf
    702.3 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
1965 Nationals

Now that is a really interesting list !!!!!!!!!

I am assuming that the Nationals were IBS, right ????

Back in the day if your name was Hart you either won it or made it for everyone else. Look at the barrels listed.

Where was George Kelbly Sr that match ????????? He didn't miss many of them.

The match was shot in Johnstown, NY that's why I thought it might be IBS. Wonder where Bob White & Seeley Masker were too, that's their neck of the woods.

The IBS was created in 1970. That list looks like the last of the Mohicans. Wallace "Wally" Hart is still around, but not sure if any of the others are. Or course, we lost Mike Walker a couple of years ago.

Attached is a photo of Mike Walker at the 2009 IBS Nationals. It was a proud day for me to shoot next to him. I believe he was 98 at that time. I was just checking for Mike's obit an found it. Both James Mock and I were quoted as well....I did not know that. The obit has it that he was at the 2010 IBS Nationals. The info on my digital photo shows it as 2009. Anyway, this is from Mike Walker's obituary in March 2013:

IBS President Jeff Stover tells us: "The term 'living legend' is used in many sports and endeavors. Rarely, though, is that term used as accurately as when referring to Mr. Merle 'Mike' Walker. He developed the Rem 700, he helped invent the button rifling process and many other firearms innovations. Probably the last time he shot in competition was at the 2010 IBS Group Nationals at Weikert, Pennsylvania. He got around quite well - even at 99 years of age! He shot an older rifle in a beat-up stock, but he was there on the line with the rest of us. During one match Mike was having some problems and it was close to cease fire time. Our range officer could see that everyone else had finished. Mike kept shooting, trying to get five on paper. The range was quiet except for the reports from Mike's rifle. When it was clear that all five were on paper, 'cease fire' was finally called. There were no questions as to what happened - all of us on the line realized it was a tribute to probably the only real Living Legend that any of us would meet, let alone shoot with…."
Mike Walker will be missed. As James Mock has written: "We in the shooting community are truly diminished. Mike was an icon of the innovative spirit of America." Mike Walker was a true pioneer who has left an enormous legacy to all those engaged in the "pursuit of accuracy".

Attachments

• Mike Walker at IBS Nationals.jpg
    Mike Walker at IBS Nationals.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:
Look at the aggs man !

On a good day, I can beat those guys !
Wow ! Hart barrels were king ! Remington actions, Rem and Sierra bullets. Once upon a time,I had a Lyman 20x scope I bought used for $80,had it on a woodchuck rifle, pretty dismal optic,very crude turret adjustments.I wonder what the wind flags looked like back then ?
That list makes one appreciate what we have now.
Joel

Wind Flags

Hey Joel !

Wind flags in the 60's, hmmmmmmmm

When I started in the mid 70's I used a triangle made for a sail boat mast on top of a 3/4 in dowel stuck in the ground. I once saw a shooter light up a cigar and put it about 50 ft in front on his bench and watch the smoke curl. Smiley convinced the guys that smoking is bad for them, LOL. I still have my 70's gun, a 40X sleeved in a Mcmillan stock, jewell trigger, unertal scope, and naturally a Hart barrel. It was an early 6PPC & I used H-322, Sierra match bullets or Earp's, CCI primers & SACO brass. Bob White sold it to me and set the hook, he's cost me more money over the years than an ex-wife, Jeeeeeze. It still shoots pretty good but it would be like racing a 50 Merc against a Ferrari today.

Last edited:
No limitations on competitor numbers....interesting

I found interesting the initial requirements for induction did not require a minimum number of competitors. Not much rationale was provided other than to not exclude any classification of rifles. How times have changed, the committee deriving the requirements for the new Score Shooters Hall of Fame chose to go in the opposite direction: "3. Starting in 2011 minimum attendance requirements must be met for points to be awarded. The minimum requirements are (20) competitors per class to qualify for points." The recent IBS Hunter class national winners received no hall points and unless the numbers grow, which presently seems unlikely, the new Score Hall will consist of people shooting VFS rifles only from here on out. Randy J.

Jeff that picture of you and Mike was where Brennan and I had a big fight. I tried to get that sorry jerk to use that photo for the front cover of PS that year. I was shooting the next bench to the left. Mike only shot HV IIRC. I can see my camper in the background at about the 50 ward line!

I was shooting an M 14, full auto.

Francis, you had a moving target then. I was lucky, I had jus come off active duty. Part of my old unit got sent to Nam, 1/77 Armor.

M14, the last of the great ones....those POS 22's and 9 mm's that were forced on our troops was the start of the disarmament of America. How many of our buddies got killed with those pieces of junk?

Is a Maine corporation. Here is a link to the Maine corporations website. Filing date was 06/02/1970.

https://icrs.informe.org/nei-sos-icrs/ICRS?CorpSumm=19700061ND

I believe an Augusta, Me dentist, Alonzo Garcelon, may have been involved in the filing and I believe he was a past president.
Greg, I was talking to Goody and he told me that it was Alonzo and Joe Gilbert, but he forgot why in was incorporated in Maine, because Goody said that IBS started in PA. Maybe Dick G or Jeff or somebody who knows a little bit more of the history can chime in and tell us more.

I believe the corporation was registered in Maine because of Doc Garcelon who lived there I believe. IBS's core was NY/PA for many years. Now, of course we spread to Montana (1000 yard), Georgia (1000) and have three clubs in MO shooting 600 yard (as well as SD, MN, WI). Long range, especially 600 yards, is growing.

jks

I believe the corporation was registered in Maine because of Doc Garcelon who lived there I believe. IBS's core was NY/PA for many years. Now, of course we spread to Montana (1000 yard), Georgia (1000) and have three clubs in MO shooting 600 yard (as well as SD, MN, WI). Long range, especially 600 yards, is growing.

jks

I believe you are correct, he was a real mover and shaker back then, pretty close to Clyde Hart. I met him at Camillus many years ago, quite a nice gentleman. He also was avery accomplished bullet maker, I have some of his 22 bullets still in their assorted perscription drug containers.

Back