What to look for when buying a used railgun

mrspradlin

Graham Wind Flags
I am in the market to buy a used railgun.
So what I am looking for is what to look for that would make a rail not worth buying and also what to look for to make it worth buying.
I know this is a very wide question but dont know any specifics to ask.

Thanks
Matt

I am in the market to buy a used railgun.
So what I am looking for is what to look for that would make a rail not worth buying and also what to look for to make it worth buying.
I know this is a very wide question but dont know any specifics to ask.

Thanks
Matt

Results are all that matter.

I understand that. But also results dont last forever either.
So what about this. Which is more prefered a barrel block system or a glue in bedding like Mr. Hall used in the past?

I'm sorry Matt. I should have been more clear. What I mean is, just like buying any used br rifle, you have the luxury to see how it has shot in competition before buying it. This assumes it was shot in registered matches where the results can be found. That's why I said what I did. I feel that knowing the gun has been a competitive one outweighs all other factors.

I'm sorry Matt. I should have been more clear. What I mean is, just like buying any used br rifle, you have the luxury to see how it has shot in competition before buying it. This assumes it was shot in registered matches where the results can be found. That's why I said what I did. I feel that knowing the gun has been a competitive one outweighs all other factors.

Now I got ya.

The answer to your question can either be difficult or simple. Depends on your understanding of what a railgun does. Most all types of rails have been successful from time to time indicating that return to battery and a good barrel is all you need. That said, the simpler the better is what I think.

How difficult is it to change the barrel?

How much does it cost to change the barrel?

How quickly can you shoot a sighter?

How quickly can you shoot a record shot based on the sighter?

How quickly can you shoot 10 shots?

Can you move it from bench to bench without help?

Matt,

What Wilbur said. You need a good platform to start with. After that the real work begins with learning how to tune and read flags. If you find one and need to talk about it before you buy give me a call. I'll be more than happy to lead you deeper into this game :D. You should have my email from the match reports. If not Mark Walker can give you my phone no.

Larry

I'll add this and some will disagree...but I'll add it anyway.

The railgun is all about speed...nothing else. If you think about it, you'll come up with the same thing. If you don't come up with the same thing you simply haven't thought about it long enough. :)

Thing is, you can learn to shoot most any railgun fast, but the fastest is just better. The way it looks...and other finery....is somewhat OK but it seems that a railgun that wins would be the better. I'd really like for a railgun builder to post something on this line of thinking...somebody that builds railguns on a regular basis. I may be all wet on this.

Wilbur, I can't disagree with you. If you can get started and end in the same conditions you can come out a hero. If you can't put the brakes on when the flags turn you will be a zero. I heard this from an other shooter once. "I never shot such a big group so fast in my life".

Larry

How much of a pain in the butt is it to set a rail gun up on your bench?
The reason I as is say one has to share a bench and the two rails do not interchange.

+1 for what Larry says. I`ve seen both he and Gary Ocock shoot slowly and methodically and clean house on the guys runnin` and gunnin`.
What you really should be doing is paying attention to the flags.

To answer your latest:
yes, you need to be compatible with other bases if you plan on sharing, But its not the end of the world if you don`t.
Its part of the game to rotate benches, and move your equipment around.

Jeff

If you want a railgun next time you go shoot carry about 4 concrete blocks. Put em on the bench while you shoot then carry them to other benches and pack them in your ride. Then imagine each block being about 2x heavier and if you like that you may be a railgun man. Theyre an expensive, heavy, awkward, expensive hobby that you dont get to shoot very often even if youre a full time benchrester. I wouldnt recommend a rail gun until you have 2 winning light guns and you can win with them.

I was trying to write something in rebuttal to Dusty's last post but couldn't find anything that was real now that 5 shot unlimited is being scheduled. If you don't have a railgun (a good one), just skip that segment of the nationals and you'll be OK....and several thousand bucks ahead.

I'm gonna go look for my railgun bolt right now. I might just think I have a railgun as it's only pile of aluminum without the bolt. Probably put the bolt "somewhere safe" !!

Found it! It wasn't somewhere safe at all!!

Last edited:
Tom Libby SW Director,

That is one of the things that living in the West (the other end of the earth for most shooters):cool: My region of Arizona, Visalia CA, Sacramento CA, Utah have 19 shooting days of the rail gun all are a 5 shot (love small groups) we get to shoot most all the year just a few months are to hot.

I do not know about Washington but you have the Sniper King that you could wear out a barrel.

One thing about a rail is it can really help you learn to read the flags and watch the conditions as you do not have to worry about gun handling and going back to the point of aim.

Talk to Larry he can help you.

Good Luck
Tom

Back