What to Do After Chambering?

HiWall

I had good luck recently chambering for the first time. After reading up on a lot of techniques here and elsewhere I made up a hand-held floating reamer holder (some say reamer pusher) and, using a long-pointed .0001" DTI indicated the bullet area in the barrel to run true with the head-stock. After finishing chambering I still do not have any indicator motion! My thumb is a bit sore though where it rested against a pin in the side of my reamer holder but besides that (and it required hours) I'm quite happy with the results. Now, before I remove the barrel from the lathe, what operation should I do, and how should I do it, to produce the final finish on the inside of the chamber?

Thanks for your comments guys! I've learned a lot from everyone!

320 or 400 grit on a wooden dowel rod to give it a nice satin finish not too polished and break the sharp corner on the chamber entry

I use a piece of scotch brite to polish up my throat and chamber. this knocks off any might be burrs and such, works great. lee

When using Scotch Brite or sand paper is this run with the lathe turning on a slow speed? How might either be attached to a stick, say? I guess you want to be sure you dont run either up far enough to contact the tops of the lands?

When using Scotch Brite or sand paper is this run with the lathe turning on a slow speed? How might either be attached to a stick, say? I guess you want to be sure you dont run either up far enough to contact the tops of the lands?

Pretty sure Dusty was saying to radius the sharp edge leading into "the chamber entry" and the chamber only with sand paper, not deburring the throat.

Thank you chas- yes do not get to the throat. Cut a slit in the end of the dowel rod as deep as your crocus cloth is wide then wrap it around

Thank you chas- yes do not get to the throat. Cut a slit in the end of the dowel rod as deep as your crocus cloth is wide then wrap it around
OK, I understood that it was meant to break the edge at the start of the chamber. There is a pretty sharp edge there. Ive also
Have frtheeebore too in my chamber so it would probably be good to stay away from this area too with the sandpaper. I'm using fairly soft lead bullets and these swell up upon firing.

All of the above and then I do a chamber cast. It can say a lot!

Yes, I should get some cerrosafe and try this out. I also just made up a 5/16" dia. dowel that I slotted on one end for 1" wide 320 grit sand paper that I will use to roughen up my new chamber. I'll run this in back and forth in the chamber on my lathe's slowest speed.

Back