What Powder Measure?

Scott Garman may have been the last person to shoot Varget in Benchrest and it was last Sunday at Thurmont, Md. He shoots a full 308 in HBR. He uses Varget.

yes i knew there was a possibility in hunter or club matches........

i'm getting frustrated with the lack of moderation since the new forum was started.

simply moderate this forum and no need for the new one......

its wilbur's site so i guess its what he wants...just makes no sense to me.

mike in co

RCBS Chargemaster

I've used my Chargemaster for about a year and a half and love it. If you are bulk loading 45ACP or similar on a progressive machine, it's not for you. I load one round at a time for informal benchrest/varmint shooting and it is perfect. By the time I seat the bullet and put it in the box, another charge is ready to dump. I would caution users to let the pan settle a couple of seconds after it stops trickling powder because it takes a couple of seconds to settle the pan with your final weight. Occasionally, I'll have to remove .1 or .2 grains of powder or if I wasn't so finicky, just leave it as is. Its well worth the money and in fact, some of my reloading buddies come to my house and reload their ammo using MY Chargemaster. :p

1/3 of 1 percent aint much to sweat

"RL15 in the 30 grain range will vary 0.3 over the course of 50 throws", doing the math wouldnt 3 grains be 10%, then .3 would be 1% (the average throw would be within .15 grains). So if you add 1% to your agg if it has a direct correlating effect (worse case scenareo a 1.88 agg becomes 1.89) you are talking about a very small differance, then cut this in half for the average differance.

Larry
p.s. then again, maybe it makes all the differance

Let's assume that 0.1gr produces a change in muzzle velocity of 10fps (which is pretty close for many BR cartridges). Open a ballistics program and put in two loads at, say, 2990 and 3000fps, then look at the drop numbers from 100 to 1000 yards. I believe you'll quickly see why short-range BR shooters generally don't feel the need to weigh charges, but long-range BR shooters do. The drop (in MOA) is NOT directly proportional to the difference in muzzle velocity at all ranges.

Toby Bradshaw
baywingdb@comcast.net

If we are talking about shooting with flags outside ofcourse.
I will say the Niel Jones Powder measure.
It will fill up very constantly, and shoots very good groups with this one!

So, for me the Niel Jones

Paul

Have to tell all of you...

that the Bob Dodd measure is VERY good, smooth and more consistent than other brands I've owned.

Jim Erickson

I usually don't opine

three times on a post but wanted to share this. I usually throw charges to a pan on my Chargemaster and trickle to get the exact weight. I use an RCBS measure that I paid $15 plus shipping off ebay years ago. Depending on the powder, it will throw charges as good as any of the others and I have had all but the Dodd. With small ball powder it, like all the others, will give one EXACT throws 99% of the time but still the odd one will be a tenth or two off. I threw some H-4198 before lunch today and it kept cutting curnels and would be lite on those. When it didn't cut one it would weigh the exact charge dialed in.

I have found, as the result of the advice of a friend that tappig the handle a couple of times tends to give one exact charges with few exceptions. One has to be careful to tap the same each time however. Too much force and the charge will be over the desired charge.

Back