What powder for 20BR with Berger 55gr bullet?

E

Eric U

I'm trying to work up a load for a 300m rifle I've got barreled in 20 BR. To get a reasonable performance in the wind but with a bit more than half the recoil of the standard 6BR I've selected the Berger 55 gr BT,. There is little to no load data for this combo. I tried Varget today with no success. Anyone use another powder with this combo out there? I leave for the ISSF World Shooting Championships on the 23rd, so I'm in a bit of a time crunch. If I can't get something to work in a few days I'll just have to put my 6BR barrel back on.

Thanks,
Eric U

Try some Win. 760 - when I tried this number, my 20 BR finally began, "to shoot like a benchrest rifle" - the Berger 40 GR. BTs just began 'working' - not the highest velocity (4020 FPS via my old Oehler), but the case simply cannot hold any more of the 760 - so, it should be very well suited to even heavier bullet weights!:eek: This rig, built on a Borden ALPINE action, McMillan Hunter stock, and features a PacNor 1:11" twist SSM barrel: it's keeper. ;) RG

Another thing to try would be to get up with Stan Taylor at Douglas Rifle Barrels. They have been playing with the .20 for 1,000 yard benchrest. I don't know the case they've been using, but I'd bet Stan would have some data for you.

Probably not much help......but I've had good results with VV-N550 with the Berger 50LTB, in my 20BR. Although the barrel has a 10.0" twist, I may try the new 55's.

Works great on PD's though.

Kevin
14qi40.jpg

Back