What material to use for an ammo holder??

skeetlee

What type of material would one use for a flex shaft, to be mounted off the base of a front rest to hold the ammo close to the loading port? I know how i want to make the holder, i just dont know what actual material to buy.. I dont have any idea were i would buy something like this material either? I know i can buy one already made from sinclairs, but heck i could probably build it for a fraction of the price. Some guys use a magnetic indicator holder for theirs. I might like mine to be a little more refined. Any ideas? Lee

McMasters sell all types of material and they have a very good on line store.
They also maintain a large inventory.

Hal

Lee, you should know what that tubing is, right. If not, it's used on lathes and mills. etc. to spray erls onto your work.;)

Lee - The previously mentioned McMaster-Carr also has it.They tend to be a little more expensive, but they have it all. Also, they ship out of Chicago so you'll get your items the day after you order.

Coolant Hose Link

Jerry

Hi Lee , Here's one i made for LRBR from a recycled ship compass i got at the dump .. I used the wood (Mountain Ash) after cutting up the post it stood on and polished up the brass bits as best i could .. Cost about $5 and a bit of time ..JR.. Jeff Rogers .. Pic included

Attachments

• new bullet tower 003.jpg
    new bullet tower 003.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 444
hmmmm........ I've whiled away many an hour at the dump.

Nary a ship's compass did I find.

YMMV

al

Hi Lee , Here's one i made for LRBR from a recycled ship compass i got at the dump .. I used the wood (Mountain Ash) after cutting up the post it stood on and polished up the brass bits as best i could .. Cost about $5 and a bit of time ..JR.. Jeff Rogers .. Pic included

Nice JR, very nice!

The Sinclair unit I have is made out of aluminum. I have a Surefeed ordered to try and its made out of some sort of plastic/delrin

The problem i have with a sure feed system is that its always in my way. I use a Farley type front rest and i hate fighting to get my hand around a table top shell holder. My new rest has a large base, perfect for mounting a flexible system. That way it isnt in my way. Now will a 1/4" tube be strong enough to hold 15 rounds of ammo, or will i be better suited using 1/2 or even 3/4"? Lee

Not pertinent to THIS thread but will mention it anyways to maybe save an eyeball or two. Those flexible deals pictured will not work for even the smallest umbrella in terms of a sunshade/rainguard. Don't even think about it. Looks like it will work and then a puff of wind wipes you (and your rifle) off the bench with injuries. It will work with some kind of opaque material cut in a rectangle about a foot long for a sunshade - but not an umbrella I tell you.

Back