What digital 1" micrometer to buy

Started with dial calipers 4O years ago and switched to a Mitutoyo digital about 20 years ago. Never looked back. I recently bought a new Mitutoyo because of the absolute feature and the old caliper became intermitent. I could have repaired it, but a new one was only about $40 more ( good sale price). Batteries lasted about 18 months in the old caliper and I don't know about the new one since I'm still on the factory battery. Display digits on the new one are bigger, a plus for my old eyes. Functionally, Mitutoyo has digital technology in measuring instruments nailed.

I have yet to see a situation(heavy hobbyist usage) where a mechanical instrument would have been more desirable unless you consider battery replacement a big deal. It's a 15 sec exercise for me. I love the pushbutton inch to mm conversion as well as the incremental to absolute mode switch. Accuracy wise, it reads to 3 places on the standard everytime. It's my go-to for nearly eveything and does 99% of my measuring needs.

For mics, I have a couple of NSK (Japanese) odometer style mechanical digitals which I rarely use, but have performed perfectly. I also have a full set of of old style Starrett mechanicals which I never use.

+1 for Long Island Indicator Service. They know their stuff. http://longislandindicator.com/

RWO

Thanks guys, I ended up with the following:

Mitutoyo 193-211 Micrometer
http://www.drillspot.com/products/67672/Mitutoyo_193-211_Digital_Micrometer

Brown & Sharpe Dial Calipers 599-579
http://www.longislandindicator.com/p103.html

The Brown & Sharpe is brand new, got for half price and the Mitutoyo is used and I paid less than half the price of the original cost and it's in like new condition. I got great deals on them. The micrometer does need calibrated as it is off .0005, the display readout does not read zero.

Thanks for your help guys.

Do you guys ever use gauge blocks to check them or calibrate them?

DID THE MIC COME WITH A SMALL SPANNER WRENCH ?
it is used to adjust the thimble to zero...but for a .000 or less i would consider sending it in for cal.

mike in co

It did come with a spanner wrench.

It is not digital. It has a mechanical display readout and that is off. The thimble looks like it's right on however It has a vernier scale on it as well so that is what I need to check to make sure the thimble is reading correctly. When I looked at it the first time, i did not quite understand how to read the vernier scale but now I do so I need to check it.

just be careful..
the wrench is used to rotate the body ( my bad, not the thimble)..to realign the marks to a zero( mic closed)....
mike in co

I am not a machinist by trade but I have a question. If you have a mike or caliper that reads to say .001" is the accuracy of that tool +/- .001" or +/- .0005"? Tim

its up to the maker to list his tolerances, and of the cal lab you send it to....
all my 1" are 1.0000 and are typically used for 0.000.....( i have others that i use for real small stuff)
i have seen really cheap mic's that listed .001 plus or minus 0.001....not very good.

mike in co
I am not a machinist by trade but I have a question. If you have a mike or caliper that reads to say .001" is the accuracy of that tool +/- .001" or +/- .0005"? Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Smitty I use gauge blocks. Its the only way I feel I can have any piece of mind.

Thanks Vern.. With the way I am with everything I'm going to need to find some as well. It's going to drive me nuts. I revceived my Brown and Sharpe calipers and i will say that they have to be the nicest set that i have seen. The craftsmenship in these calipers is great. Nice and solid as well.

Once you put a set of guage blocks on your calipers and say you find that it is off, how to you adjust it? Do you just change the dial or what?

I use digital calipers I can just hit zero if they are off. At least with mine. They always seem to be right on the money. I have never really used ones with the dial though.
I would suppose that the directions with the device should hopefully give the information that you need to calibrate it if it is off.
Gauge blocks are available in a variety of combinations and prices. Certified as wells as different non certified grades. I found mine on ebay.

Back