What 50 yard rimfire target to use?

csdilligaf

I've just got myself one of those CMP Kimber 82's. I think I want to dable with some 50 yard backyard benchrest shooting. I want to scope it and try a target that is the most common standard so I can see where my level is at and if it improves. I looked here on benchrest central and see the USRA targets for 50 yard .22lr and on the site says the record is 250 w/21x's. Also there is the USBR target for 50 yards .22 cal rimfire. Its record is 248 w/8x's and a custom gun. Now obviously I am now where even close to competeing let alone dreaming of any records but this makes me wonder what target I should give a try. Is one that more difficult? Is one more common and standard? I dont want to be discouraged when I fail misurably but want to have a bunch of friends join in and have fun. Which one would be the better for me and friends to use?

thanks,

Use the easiest one, it will build confidence, once it gets boring then go on to the next more difficult one.
52-Shooter

call Dan Killough

at KSS and get some of the ARA targets. They have the scoring criteria on the target and dan is real good about posting all the match scores on the ARA site. They are what I use. They are easy to see also and have lots of sighters. The PSL targets are a little harder to see.

Here's a couple of targets I made up. Print them full size, on 8-1/2" x 11" paper, with no scaling, and they will be official size. Thicker paper makes for cleaner holes. There is a sheet with full ARA bulls and the other is just the 50 and 100 rings, and the full PSL bull. See their website for the scoring format.

Jerry

Attachments

• ARA_Circles.pdf
    134.3 KB · Views: 3,338
  • PSL_Circles.pdf
    68.4 KB · Views: 2,592
  • ARA_Target_Circles.pdf
    180.5 KB · Views: 3,107
Last edited:
Targets

Chip,
I will send you a care package of several different 50 yard targets.
The easy target Fun Fire is huge! When you feel good about that try the others.

The USRA IR 50/50, RBA, and The Worlds 50 meter targets could all be used for the InterNational Postal Match.

Got the SUMO in a stock and ready for this Sat. Match.

Thanks again,

Paul

Thanks Paul, I forgot how many airgunners came from rimfire. I first bought a CZ 452 varmint and my airgun will beat it at 50 yards, I moved up to a Sako Finnfire Varmint and the airgun still wins. So now I have a Kimber on the way and will see how it does.
So what is the deal with the two targets I mention? Is the ten ring larger on one?

Targets

The USRA IR 50/50 target has a .250 ten ring, the USBR target has a .100 ten ring. As long as you all shoot the same target it's all relative. Just have fun. If your just shooting for fun try the USBR target at 25 yards. If you want to shoot fun postal matches there are plenty of them using the USBR target.

If you have a club in your area check and see what they use and go to a match.

Dennis

Back