welding helments

skeetlee

I bought a nice used Linclon idealarc SP-250 wire welder this weekend and new i need to buy a new welding helmet. the only welding i have done is with our pipeliner stick welder at work so this wire welding will be new to me. The helmets we have at work are cheap helmets and they work just fine but i think i would lie one of the auto darkening type helmet. I see there are a couple different types of auto darkening helmets out there. Some are solar power with a 3volt lithium battery backup and some run straight off AA batteries. I will be welding inside 90% of the time so i cant help but wonder if the solar power helmets would even work? Anyway any ideas about what helmet to buy. I want a good helmet but i probably wont spend 200+ dollars for one. I think i should be able to buy a decent helmet for say 100 bucks?? Lee

I know this is an unpopular option, but I've got three of the ChiCom auto-darkeners from Harbor freight. They're solar and they're 35-50.00 on sale and I love 'em. They recharge from welding flash and if one's dead then 5min outside gets it going again. Or set it near where you're welding.

I will never again be without a self-darkening helmet!

al

I had a good older Jackson helmet so I just added an auto lens to it. Though as Al said it is hard to beat the price of the HF ones.
Bobby

After welding 13 years for Ford Motor, I would never weld without a speed lens. Flash burn doesn't take much to get and the pain in your eyes will be unbearable, not to mention the damage. A good speed lens will run you $200 bucks.

I have a high dollar Jackson (~$400.00) and the el chepo Harbor Freight self darkening work just as well. They just don't have all the bells and whistles my Jackson has. Go with the Harbor Freight and you will be happy.

Brad

You'll get what you pay for.
Reflector lens,adj shade,adj delay are required features if doing multi taskings-Stick/Mig/Carbon Arc/Plasma Cutting etc.
High Amp/Spray Arc will melt cheap helmets around your ears.
Bench work a 10-12 shade will be optimum.
Reflector lenses give true color.

Jackson or nothing for me on a daily basis for the last 30+yrs.

I've used a Speedglas variable shade for years. Adjustable, very fast switch time. I have also used a Jackson EQC and found it to be really good as well. I think were I to do it again, I'd get a Jackson. They are your eyes, take good care of them.

Fitch

One thing to remember about my situation is that i wont be welding everyday or heck even every weekend. maybe once or twice a month. I dont like cheap anything as i do believe that you get what you pay for. However i dont think i need a 300$ mask either. Im not sure what mask i will buy but it will be a decent one and i think i will buy one of the auto lens type masks. thanks again, Lee

Not a full time welder, but machines get used couple times a week, Got the HF unit, works fine. Note: it has adj. darkening, and a fast or slower switch speed. I have a Miller and a Lincoln up to 300 amps, between them i can use about any method.

skeetlee,
Purchase extra headgear when you decide on a helmet.

The old Jackson H4 2X4 flip up fiberglass helmets are tough.
Flip up the filter for grinding,flip down for welding.
Insert a quick change lens system & melt wire of sorts.

A quick change that uses AA'a or AAA's w/ rechargable batteries works well.
A quick change lens that uses disc/watch batteries is a PITA as it will be dead every other time you go to use it.

Last edited:
Not To Change The Subject

But how many of you have spent an agonizing night with ground up Irish Potatoes over your eyes. The worst burn I ever got was off of the reflection on a tin wall inside the shop.

At our shop, we use the cheapo Harbor Frieght self darkening helments. It sort of like dial indicators. We buy the $20 ones, (with a free mag base), instead of the $150 Starret. That way, when the Machinist drops it on the floor, we just hand him another one.:D

But if money is no object, spring for the $400 unit instead of the cheapo. But don't be surprised if the same company made the electronics for both.........jackie

But how many of you have spent an agonizing night with ground up Irish Potatoes over your eyes. The worst burn I ever got was off of the reflection on a tin wall inside the shop.

At our shop, we use the cheapo Harbor Frieght self darkening helments. It sort of like dial indicators. We buy the $20 ones, (with a free mag base), instead of the $150 Starret. That way, when the Machinist drops it on the floor, we just hand him another one.:D

But if money is no object, spring for the $400 unit instead of the cheapo. But don't be surprised if the same company made the electronics for both.........jackie

OHHHH the HERESY!!!

we think alike sometimes.....

scarey

kinda like, until I had reason to have 30 sets of wrenches setting around in trucks and rooms and on various machines..... I was a Snapon guy. I also have a dozen cheap digital calipers, just for me. I have a 6" caliper in my wife's junk drawer in the kitchen.

It ain't a Mitutoyo ;)

al

Back