Weld recoil lug to Rem 700 action

Mram10,
You're back again, from your twisted panties debacle.

You wonder why people in the know call you out.

You received a reply & you persist to be stupid...DUH!
Get a clue
Seek a professional

Electron Beam Weld your recoil lug.

Dan,
I’ve have you on my ignore list so your messages don’t show up. I’m assuming you were supportive and gave good info. Thanks

Dan,
I’ve have you on my ignore list so your messages don’t show up. I’m assuming you were supportive and gave good info. Thanks

Your ignore is not working very well. First post after his is you talking to him. At least he has the nerve to use is own name.

Sdean,
For jackassery, you have been placed on my ignore list. When you can prove you are worthy, I will reinstate you to good standing.
Sincerely,
Mike (real name) ?

Sdean,
For jackassery, you have been placed on my ignore list. When you can prove you are worthy, I will reinstate you to good standing.
Sincerely,
Mike (real name) ?

Are you a native UK fan or foreign. Maybe I'll se you at a match somewhere, if you're somewhat local. Lots of matches in and around Kentucky. Come on out and meet some of us. If you're in Ky., what part of the state?

Mom raised me a fan, but never lived there. Followed them since Sutton’s last year. Some lean years between Tubbys first year and Cal showing up ....
You?

Mom raised me a fan, but never lived there. Followed them since Sutton’s last year. Some lean years between Tubbys first year and Cal showing up ....
You?

I bleed native Ky Blue! Live near Bowling Green.
I recollect no lean years in UK basketball history....selectively.

Ha! I chose to forget a couple years [tubby and gillespie ... cough]

Can’t wait for K to retire. He has taken a TON of guys that were favoring UK!

Mig is the least satisfactory in my book, hydrogen embrittlement being the culprit in applications where the Steels have a relative high carbon and alloy content.
Hydrogen source?

Fast cooling ia more likely to result in a brittle weld.

There is no source of hydrogen present.

Titanium has similar problems.
The weld line cools so fast it is extremely brittle absent additional heat treatment.
Heating the pieces and allowing for slower cooling is one way of solving the problem.

dude, seriously??

Darn straight.
Where is the hydrogen source?

Hydrogen embrittlement most often shows up from plating processes that produce a lot of hydrogen that then dissolves into the metal being plated.

Depending on the plating material it can be relatively hard to drive it out after the plating process is completed.

Chrome plating of steel has a long history of issues.
Even post plating heating has a tough time moving the hydrogen through the chrome plating.

brickeye,
When does hydrogen precipitation occur in a welding process?

If some rookie is quenching,they learned the trade in the back corner of a barn!

Plating is not a concern in this thread....either!

Double pin, like, welding it on? ?

No. Like this:

ETlHD6rl.jpg

No. Like this:

ETlHD6rl.jpg

^^^^Yes...like that!^^^^
It just works and no welding headaches with it.
It's not my gun and he can do it however he chooses, I suppose, but I don't know of any problems with the setup in your pic Al. Find the edges of the receiver and drill and ream the holes in it and the lug. He'll need a fixture to hold the receiver and a mill, preferably with a DRO, or maybe cnc capabilities but it's doable with a manual mill. I would not try it in a drill press.
The biggest reason for two pins it so the lug won't rotate on the barrel, creating a problem putting it into a previously bedded stock if not perfectly aligned. If the journal where the lug sets on the barrel is machined for zero clearance, you could use just one pin, but two are obviously stronger. More than one way to skin a cat.

Way back in the 80s

Good afternoon all.
I don't post much but felt the need to comment on this subject.
I remember reading an article I believe in Rifle magazine by Layne Simpson I think, about welding the recoil lug to a Remington 700 action for a switch barrel rifle. I never saw a follow up article about how this worked out for the author.
Does anyone else remember this ? it jumped out at me back then because I come from a welding and welding inspection and millwright back ground.

When I went through gun smith school at Lassen College even mentioning welding and certain other parts including action in the same sentence could you kicked out of class.

Double pinning as others have stated would be my preference especially with all the liability involved in todays society, could you imagine the law suit if some one had a catastrophic failure and some one was injured.

Leroy Johnson

Double pinning is the obvious answer for all the right reasons. Using a recoil lug with a generous draft angle makes it even better in my experience. The last Remington I had Stan Ware set up this way was flawless.

Nothin' to it but to do it. :) - Al

Back