Weight difference between brass mean any thing?

Worker

Shoot LC 223 brass and W-W 223 brass. W-W weights 98grs LC weights 96grs. Both shot out of my AR-15 26grs of Bench Mark behind 55gr V-Max. What say ye?

2 grains of brass won't mean anything..
The different brands might finish with significantly different H20capacity though. That actually matters, so compare it with a few after fireforming.

Can you really tell a difference. It's not like you are using a bench gun or rest.

In this case it's only important in your mind. If it makes you feel better, use whatever makes you feel the most comfortable brass you have.:D

Weighing Brass

Heck, you would be surprised at the number of Benchrest Shooters who skip sorting brass by weight.

But then the vast majority use Lapua Brass, which simply does not vary that much.

That being said, I still order my cases from Ron Hoehn, pre-sorted. Benchrest is still about removing variables, and this is one that is easilly removed. The only way you can ascertain if it helps your combination is by simple old trial and error.

Like Big Al said. If it makes you feel better, sort them. There is a lot to be said for feeling good...........jackie

I'm pretty fussy myself about handloading each round for my RRA NM AR15, using a caliper, and a concentricity tool, etc. But as Big Al suggested, I stll realize that I'm not shooting a tight chambered bolt action rifle, and so the case weight is not a consideration to me at all.

But, it can't hurt....especially if it makes you feel better.

I recently made some cases for my 20 VarTarg out of Lapua .222 Remington cases and was curious as to the effect of the difference in cases on volume. Here are the numbers ---
Difference in case weight (average) 3.2 grains (these cases weigh 85 - 90 grains each)
Difference in case volume calcuated, using .308 lb/cu.in. brass density 0.0015 cu. in.
Difference in case volume by measuring weight of water 0.0018 cu. in.
Calculated percent difference in case volume (ignoring extraction groove) 1.7% using calculated volume; 2% using water measurements.
When I fired the two lots of cases with the same load, the difference was 3 fps.

Brass variance

To find out what is real I would shoot groups with the brass mixed 50/50 per group then see what your rifle prefers as to mixing or groups made up from one brand only.Probably will not amount to a hill of beans,but experimenting is over half the fun.Will

A little story... I have LC, W-W and Lapua brass for my .223 and .20 X 223. I recently got a digital scale and did some weighing. Lapua was the heaviest LC the lightest and WW in the middle. But, the WW brass had the smallest varience of weight and both rifles have always turned in their best groups with WW brass. Now my sample size was not very large and it may not mean much but take it for what it's worth. John.

two different types of brass

I would expect for you to shoot two groups with those two different kinds of brass. The WCC is rated at a higher PSI than the std win.

Shoot LC 223 brass and W-W 223 brass. W-W weights 98grs LC weights 96grs. Both shot out of my AR-15 26grs of Bench Mark behind 55gr V-Max. What say ye?

What we say doesn't matter. Shoot them and find out. And if you have shot them, then you know.

Back