Weaver XR Series

Lets just hope the XRs do not suffer from the wandering parallax that I have read owners of Leupold side focus benchrest scopes have experienced. I have two Nikon side focus scopes and just sold my Zeiss Conquest side focus scope. None of those three scopes have any issues with parallax stability or any other issue. I also have read that Leupold claims to have solved the 'backlash' issue. I assume Weaver can similarly solve any problems with the XR. If Nikon made a 36X single magnification target scope with side focus, I would have bought one of those. I have read that Weaver has been asking owners who have problems to return the scopes for a full refund.

As to "yet", the reports I have read of oil on the lens have all said the problem showed up on the first day at the range. My first day at the range will be the day after my scope arrives. As I have said, I will give a full report on my results.

Lets just hope the XRs do not suffer from the wandering parallax that I have read owners of Leupold side focus benchrest scopes have experienced. I have two Nikon side focus scopes and just sold my Zeiss Conquest side focus scope. None of those three scopes have any issues with parallax stability or any other issue. I also have read that Leupold claims to have solved the 'backlash' issue. I assume Weaver can similarly solve any problems with the XR. If Nikon made a 36X single magnification target scope with side focus, I would have bought one of those. I have read that Weaver has been asking owners who have problems to return the scopes for a full refund.

As to "yet", the reports I have read of oil on the lens have all said the problem showed up on the first day at the range. My first day at the range will be the day after my scope arrives. As I have said, I will give a full report on my results.

There is no "wandering parallax" issue with the LCS scopes, it was a POI issue with the early series......long since rectified.

Last edited:
Wrong Terminology

I used the wrong words. What I have read are two issues with the Leupold side focus scopes. One is backlash (that is what I meant by wandering crosshairs). The other is a mismatch between focus and parallax. Neither of these cannot be overcome by careful procedure when focusing. I have read of these issues primarily on the website acurateshooter,com.

The same site still rates the Leupold Competition Series very highly:

Leupold Competition Series 35x, 40x, 45x
Pros: The best resolution, brightness, contrast, and largest exit pupil of any high-magnification fixed-power scope you can buy. Better lens geometry and clarity than any zoom. Turret covers and screw-in lens caps standard. Very good warranty service, not limited to original owner. 30mm tube offers more elevation adjustment than older 1″ Leupold Target Scopes or B&L 36x.
Cons: Unstable wire reticle may require after-market modification. Leupold is shipping too many with off-axis cross-hairs–look before you buy. Lash issue with side focus.
OVERALL: BEST FIXED-POWER SCOPE under $1200. Even with its flaws, still the best fixed-power competition scope you can buy, short of the $2150 March. Leupold needs to do some technical re-design and ensure the scopes ship with plumb cross-hairs.

Friend, with all due respect, i have zero idea what you are referring to. I have never heard of the term "wandering crosshairs" , it doesn't exist. Stop assuming what you read on internet forums to be corecct. I also have never heard that LCS scopes have uncentered X-hairs. I shoot with these things in IBS and IR 50/50 matches and own them, and have from the beginnng as well as a couple Marches, Weavers, Nightforces, and everything else. Its certainly possible for the odd scope to escape with something but we are into the 3 rd generation with the LCS and other than the gen one POI issues they have been very reliable.
As far as the Weaver XR series, it appears there os a design issue and production has stopped pending a production fix at some indeterminate time. They do not yet know if its design flaw, o-ring failure, etc.
They are likely working the roblem in Japan. Domestic tech guys have no info as to whether they enen WILL come back into production.
Weaver USA does not get much info in this regard.
When I ended up acquiring mine from Killough's in June, Weaver had zero knowledge of the scope and was unaware they wete in the business of selling them.
I assume, with the R&D and production costs involved, they are unlikely to abandon production entirely.
This, again, concerns only the XR 46X that I am aware of and have researched.

As I said, I used the wrong term. If you go to accurateshooter.com and do a search on scopes, you will find the article I quoted in my last reply.

Now the good news: my new T-36 XR arrived today. I will get to to the range next Wednesday. I plan on shooting at least 50 rounds with it on that trip. I will report on the results then. Until then, I have nothing more to say about the Weaver XR or the Leupold Competition Series side focus scopes. I have never owned one and all I know about them is what I have read in reviews such as the Accurate Shooter review. If you are not familiar with the site, here is a link to the home page: http://www.accurateshooter.com/

All Good!

Well, I finally got to the range today and fired 25 rounds with the new Weaver on my BAT 222. Everything seems to be just fine. I saw no evidence of lubricant leaking on the lens. I will be out again soon. I will report here after 100 rounds. That should be enough shooting to see if there will be any issues with the scope. So far, it works exactly like I expected.

refund

I just received my refund check for my XR scope from Federal Cartridge Company. Anyone can make a mistake, but it takes a great company to admit it and stand behind the admission with money.

Thanks Weaver. I will remember this.

Ive always thought weaver was a good company. Never used their fixed power scopes but am glad they produce a cheaper option for people when they first start out and have to buy everything at once.

I rceived a call from one of the posters here 2 days ago and one of his purchased from Dan now has the droplets on the lens! I shot mine today and it is actually getting worse. I am hoping I will be able to use it in Vegas next month, but its not looking to promising! I also looked through my neighbors today and he also has the droplets!

Only the 46s Have the Problem

I rceived a call from one of the posters here 2 days ago and one of his purchased from Dan now has the droplets on the lens! I shot mine today and it is actually getting worse. I am hoping I will be able to use it in Vegas next month, but its not looking to promising! I also looked through my neighbors today and he also has the droplets!

I just got off the phone with tech support at Weaver. I also wrote to them. Here is the complete text of the e-mail reply I got from Weaver:

"Hello,

We have found an isolated problem with only the T46XR. We have not had any issues with the T36XR scopes.

Weaver
"

When I called Weaver, the same tech person who e-mailed me spoke with me. He again assured me there is no problem with the T-36XR side focus Weavers. The problem is with the T-46XR side focus Weavers only.

Last edited:
Slowshot,
You are correct, the only XR series I own is the 46, and is and was the only scope I have been referring to. I am not interested in the 36 or the 24 power scopes in the xR series! All my others are Leupold 36X and never have any problems with them because I send them in annually for check test and clean. Since i saw a 46 XR at the score nationals and priced under $1000.00 i figured it was worth a shot. In the past I have owned 2 Weaver 36 and found them reliable, but given the choice between Leupold and Weaver I will always choose Leupold simply due to their warranty! They will service their scopes no matter weather your the first owner or 5th owner and thats worth my loyalty to the brand. If Weaver doesn't come up with a fix in a couple of months I will send it back and take the money and put it into another Leupold.

Slowshot,
You are correct, the only XR series I own is the 46, and is and was the only scope I have been referring to. I am not interested in the 36 or the 24 power scopes in the xR series! All my others are Leupold 36X and never have any problems with them because I send them in annually for check test and clean. Since i saw a 46 XR at the score nationals and priced under $1000.00 i figured it was worth a shot. In the past I have owned 2 Weaver 36 and found them reliable, but given the choice between Leupold and Weaver I will always choose Leupold simply due to their warranty! They will service their scopes no matter weather your the first owner or 5th owner and thats worth my loyalty to the brand. If Weaver doesn't come up with a fix in a couple of months I will send it back and take the money and put it into another Leupold.

If it was me, I would be contacting Weaver today, either to get a replacement scope that has been fixed or to start the procedure to get your money back.

My situation is a bit different than yours. I bought the side focus Weaver specifically due to a disability of mine that a side focus scope overcomes. The bad news is, to pay for the Weaver, I sold my Leupold BR 36 that was bumped to 50X. Having tried the Weaver, I can say, I would rather have kept the Leupold, even though I need assistance in dialing out parallax error with the Leupold. The view through the Weaver is washed out (lacking contrast) as compared to the Leupold I sold.

Called weaver today to check on my scope and they are also going to buy mine back. They are also reimbursing me for the cost of shipping when I sent it back to them. Technician told me it is only the 46x that has the problem and they are working on it.

ZACK

It was a nice scope when I put it away for the winter!

I bought and XR 46X last summer & was happy with it all last season. Pulled it out today to try before a match tomorrow & there are the oil spots. It looks like someone shot the target with a load of #8 shot! A call to Weaver gave me a return number & they buying it back.

I wouldn't have thought it would happen just sitting over the winter. So it doesn't appear to be due to recoil or any rough use.

Regards,
Ron

I haven't looked through mine since last year. It was fine then. I'll be going to the range to do some testing, and I'll check it very close.

I finally had to call them, because mine is so bad that you can barely see the dot! The told me to box it up and they gave UPS a call tag and they stopped by and picked it up. They are buying it back cost plus shipping. Now the quandry of what to replace it with, maybe a Leupold 45X competition!

Thought for consideration

I have been following this post with interest.

I have (3) of the 46x that were purchased between July - December 2014.

None of mine are exhibiting any problems, as a matter of fact I checked them very carefully yesterday and all are perfectly clear.

Got me to thinking........................As I store my rifles horizontally, rather than vertically, wonder if this cold have anything to do with the problem?

Any thoughts welcomed.

Shinny,
well not sure if storage method is having a positive outcome for your scopes, but anything is possible. what I have found is the more its shot the worse the problem gets. The problem is that other than this issue that keeps popping up, its a nice scope. I would think that weaver would want to fix this problem quickly rather than buying them back! When a company keeps telling you that they are working on a fix for months and the fix never comes you start to wonder if they are really interested in fixing the problem! How difficult could a fix be, after all they introduced 3 new scopes in the XR line and the other 2 don't have the problem! Good luck with yours, and hopefully you will be the only guy thats has these when the buy back is done.

Back